BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2023, 07:32 AM   #23
Clutchj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorocknroll View Post
I have the same problem. The 3-2 downshift has a lot of engine braking that slows the car rapidly and unevenly. I find that other shifts are noticeable, I wish they were smoother, but the 3-2 is really uncomfortable. This happens at roughly 20 kph/12 mph.

I've searched a lot on the forums and some people have this problem, others don't for whatever reason. I took it to the dealer 3 times, and they've updated the software and reset the transmission adaptations. The software update helped a bit, but did not eliminate the problem.

Mine is a 2019 M40i without the mild hybrid system.

I'm going to order xHP. I contacted their support and they think it will be able to resolve the problem by changing the shift point.
2nd gear definitely has a lot of engine braking going on. I think that's the downshift that prevents even stopping. Even in manual mode, I'm always surprised how much higher the RPMs shoot up downshifting to 2nd gear as opposed to downshifting to 3rd gear. I suppose it's due to the gear ratio?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 05:05 PM   #24
csparker
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M-sport package

Has anyone found a solution???

I've had my 2019 X5 4.0 with the M-sport package for about 3 weeks... the "perceptible" downshifting in comfort mode is definitely my biggest issue with the car. Has anyone found a solution???
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:18 PM   #25
hazzy
Rep
Drives: 22 x4 xdrive30i

so other posts have said to switch to eco mode so the transmission allows the car to 'coast' more, which helps a bit..

the the real issue for me i discovered by switching to eco mode

i thought the engine turning off while coming to a stop was part of it, for me it was so i now turn that off - but that didn't explain the downshift braking behavior as much as it was hindering a perfectly smooth stop

when switching to eco mode on my 2021 x4 m30i, you're able to see all the eco gauges - there's one that flips on 100% of the time i'm experiencing the unexpected "engine braking"

It's the battery-charging-while-braking system, has another name probably. It acts as a second brake pedal that triggers a second or so after i initially touch the brakes at a certain speed (sometimes not even maybe) and starts slowing the vehicle.

In eco I can 1:1 see it coming on and feel exactly what I couldn't explain (or easily predict) until now.. still hard to predict.

So ow do you turn this off? And no clue why it would even be necessary not being a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:04 AM   #26
Hidrosmen
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Bump…has anyone found any sort of workaround for this “bug”? It is mildly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 04:09 PM   #27
hazzy
Rep
Drives: 22 x4 xdrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidrosmen View Post
Bump…has anyone found any sort of workaround for this “bug”? It is mildly annoying.
apparently its a 'feature', searching for a way to turn if off too - the vid below mentions it 62 seconds in.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:06 PM   #28
sj300d
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

My 2019 x3 m40i had an issue when downshifting from 3-2-1. Anytime I approached a full stop, I'd feel the car lurch forward, especially from 2-1. I took it to the BMW dealership multiple times, and they tried various things, like resetting the transmission programming, and ultimately ended up replacing the mechatronic unit. Long story short, after a long, painful process, they acknowledged there was an issue that could not be resolved easily, so they ended up repurchasing the car from me. My 2021 does not have any perceivable issues while downshifting *knock on wood*.

For anyone having this issue, I'd recommend asking your service advisor to look into resetting the programming on the transmission and then possibly replacing the mechatronic unit. While it didn't work for me, I've heard this has helped resolve the issue for others.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #29
goangaus
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30i

Update from my side, I connected Bimmerlink and checked the current gear in traffic, so I found that the "engine brake" that I feel while slowing down is not caused by the gearbox downshifting, I saw that while lightly braking the gearbox downshifted from 3 to 2nd gear and the "engine brake" occured while in 2nd gear.
Then I found out that the "engine brake" feel while slowing down is reduced if I disable the ASS function. Problem is not solved completely but better, I was surprised because I thought that ASS is responsible only for switching off the engine and starting it again, not affecting the braking before stopping.
Please note that I resetted my transmission adaptation values and updated the car software to latest version 03 2024, before this operations I did not noticed this improvement with ASS off.
Anyone has similar conclusions?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:14 AM   #30
sorocknroll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I will try this and let you know.

I think my problem is due to an engine issue. I think the engine is not making as much power as the transmissions expects at low RPMs and that's why the shift is jerky. If I manually downshift at 1,500 rpm it's perfectly smooth. That suggests nothing wrong with the shifting itself. However, when shifting in auto mode at 1,000 rpm it jerks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:22 AM   #31
Gorst
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Acura Rdx / 2023 BMW X4

What improvements does the latest software update 03/24 bring. Have you noticed any?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:08 AM   #32
goangaus
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorst View Post
What improvements does the latest software update 03/24 bring. Have you noticed any?
I noticed that the forward colision warning comes much often, annoying, but no emergency braking till now
Regarding the deceleration on light braking it is a bit better but I do not know if it is the software update, transmission adaptation reset, me getting used to it or a combination of all.
But I am more and more convinced that it is not the gearbox, if I downshift manually at the same speed and rpm it is smooth, no jerk or anything unusual.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:15 PM   #33
sorocknroll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I also had the dealer update my software trying to fix this. Not sure if it was 03/24 or maybe the second most recent. The self-driving feature is a lot better. Doesn't get confused as much about the lines. Parking assistant changing views works better. Sport Display is now in red.

Forgot about this earlier - I ran the VANOS self-test function out of ISTA. The test passed, but car shook like crazy while doing the test. I haven't been able to confirm if this is normal. I suspect it is not. I think this might indicate some undetected issue in the VANOS system that is cause a slight loss of power (but maybe not enough to trigger a fault code) that presents itself as too much engine braking. If anyone else, especially with a properly functioning car is able to run this test and let me know if your car shakes, that would be greatly appreciated.

The other symptom I see on the Sport Display is the torque gauge moving around without any throttle input:

I imagine this is just some calculation based on the engine inputs, so it could indicate some sensor is occassionally providing wonky values. Would also be helpful if someone with a properly functioning car could confirm if their sport display does this.
Appreciate 0