BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #45
hal2100
Rep
Drives: BMD F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman01 View Post
I also have one of these for sale, the stainless and will never break. It has a few scratches on it, but nothing major. Message me for details.
This might actually be a problem, because something will give in, if too much force is applied. But now will probably not be this part, if replaced with a stainless steel one.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #46
BeemerWayne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X3

BradleyLand - You said you ordered the part for the Mirrors from "MARCIN"
What is that company and can you tell me how to find it on FB?

Thanks,
BeemerWayne
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #47
tom1beck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 and 1999 M3

How did you compress the spring?

I got the part, and had a very hard time compressing the spring to get the post inserted and turned, and the mirror reassembled.

Eventually, I used a channel lock pliers to compress the spring, and then used three metal zipties to hold the spring compressed. then I was able to insert the post, and turn it to lock it in, then cut the zipties with a wire cutter. $6 for the metal zipties at Harbor Freight. a bit of finessing with the channel lock pliers to compress the spring, while using another pliers to pull the zip ties tight.

also, key to disconnect battery to avoid a short/blown fuse, and I used butt heat shrink connectors with solder inside to make a better connection.
Attached Images

Last edited by tom1beck; 02-01-2022 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #48
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

See my way - message #43 in this thread. Easy peasy.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #49
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

F me, the other one went.....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #50
mongoose71
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi, BMW

Anyone know of a US supplier for this part? Also, I don't see any You tube videos detailing the steps to make the repair. Where is the best step by step guide for the part replacement?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #51
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, since I'll be doing this again in the next few days, I'll try to document better. Look at entry #27 in this thread though - pretty good (but I'm a visual guy and want pictures)

Really - order from the guy in the UK, I was lucky enough to be heading over to London 3 days after mine broke and got it shipped to my hotel. Should take ~ 10 days to get though customs to you though (my first one was about that). Just use a few big zip ties until it comes in to stop it wiggling. I've done a few hundred highway miles like this while i was waiting.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 05:05 PM   #52
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose71 View Post
Anyone know of a US supplier for this part? Also, I don't see any You tube videos detailing the steps to make the repair. Where is the best step by step guide for the part replacement?
None that I could find, but I can tell you that Marcin in the UK makes a really spectacularly high quality part. They're well worth the money. These things are never going to fail.

Also FWIW, while I didn't make a video, I used my own post (#27) to do the passenger side just last month, and the instructions held up well.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #53
Melvincys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 & 3

May I know which mechanic or shop (in Malaysia) that repaired your side mirror as I am facing the same problem now.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:05 AM   #54
Melvincys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 & 3

Studavis, may I know which mechanic or shop (in Malaysia) that repaired your side mirror as I am facing the same problem now.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #55
mongoose71
Registered
Rep

I received my parts from Marcin. Shipping from the UK was surprisingly fast. I ordered some cheap trim removal tools from Amazon and will attempt the repair on my passenger mirror within the next week.

I used black electrical tape to hold my mirror in place after it broke. It has held it in place well and is hardly noticeable.

I feel like taking the door panel off will be fairly easy, but I'm concerned that getting to the part that needs replacing will be difficult.

My plan is to use a table vice and bailing wire to compress and hold the spring similar to the person who used metal ties.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #56
mongoose71
Registered
Rep

For those who come along after me:

There is good information in this thread. Read it all.
Black electrical tape held my mirror very securely for over a month before I made the repair.
I didn't bother disconnecting all of the wires from the door panel.
Compressing the spring and using metal tie wraps or baling wire will not work with the UK seller's part. The base of the machined part is too big in diameter for the added space that the wrap or wire takes up. You'll either need the original style part or have someone with a metal lathe take off some of the base of Marcin's part. I found this out the hard way and ended up taping the two parts together tightly with electrical tape and then using a large C Clamp to compress the spring enough to twist it into place with an allen wrench inserted into the holes. I taped a sponge to the bottom jaw of the clamp to keep from scratching the plastic finish under the mirror. As mentioned, get a feel for how the part locks into place without the spring before installing it with the spring.

Once it's in place and secure, the reassemble process is very easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #57
bimmersarethebest
Registered
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F25 X3, another F25 X3

I replaced mine a few weeks ago based on the instructions in this forum using the metal wire tie method. It was a bit tight getting the spring on the pin with the wire ties there and orienting them in a way that didn't interfere when putting it together. I heard there is a better way to do it - using an allen key through the hole somehow to turn it while compressing the spring? If my other mirror breaks, maybe I can try that method.
Bought it from this U.S. seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304566655701
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:40 PM   #58
edesigner72
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

I have the same problem, thanks for your help, I just ordered two pieces, because although only the right mirror was damaged today I will be prepared for the other one.

Thanks again bimmersarethebest
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:23 AM   #59
devwilkey
Mechanic
Rep
Drives: WIGO

If your mirror is cracked or has other damage, be sure to save all of the pieces so that you can identify them later on. Once everything has been removed, drive to a mechanic and ask them to repair or replace your driver side mirror part. They will need to unscrew and reattach the mirrors in the same location, so be sure to have all of the screws ready!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:03 PM   #60
eddard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.5i

I just bought one from this seller too. Part looks great but I haven't installed it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmersarethebest View Post
I replaced mine a few weeks ago based on the instructions in this forum using the metal wire tie method. It was a bit tight getting the spring on the pin with the wire ties there and orienting them in a way that didn't interfere when putting it together. I heard there is a better way to do it - using an allen key through the hole somehow to turn it while compressing the spring? If my other mirror breaks, maybe I can try that method.
Bought it from this U.S. seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304566655701
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #61
eddard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.5i

Leave mirror on car?

Hi Tom. Did you do your repair by leaving the mirror on the car and just cutting the wires? That seems like that might be the easiest way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1beck View Post
I got the part, and had a very hard time compressing the spring to get the post inserted and turned, and the mirror reassembled.

Eventually, I used a channel lock pliers to compress the spring, and then used three metal zipties to hold the spring compressed. then I was able to insert the post, and turn it to lock it in, then cut the zipties with a wire cutter. $6 for the metal zipties at Harbor Freight. a bit of finessing with the channel lock pliers to compress the spring, while using another pliers to pull the zip ties tight.

also, key to disconnect battery to avoid a short/blown fuse, and I used butt heat shrink connectors with solder inside to make a better connection.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 10:55 PM   #62
asimmons97
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 35i

Last year my driver's side mirror popped off, didn't find this post and had to pay >$700 to replace the whole assembly. Today, just as the time before, my passenger side mirror popped off with the same stupid broken piece. Thankfully, found this thread to know some other people had this issue and I wasn't going insane.

I don't have access to many tools in order to do the repair myself. Has anyone else had luck bringing the piece to their mechanic to have it fixed? I know it's a very odd repair so didn't know if most mechanics would know what to make of it. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 05:06 PM   #63
Ivan67
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, F25 X3, e90 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Just my $.002
I did my own repair by using a long screw/nut and had to use a spacer.
I wish I had taken pictures when I did it, but I did not know it was a common issue.
I also had to drill an additional hole next to the center in order to pass the wires thru.
It has been more than a year and it’s holding up.
Now I know that there is a replacement part in case I have to do the other side.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:52 PM   #64
marlons
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

Only using a long scre/ nut and some spacers? The pin needs to lock in place at the bottom isn't it, or did you re-use some of the broken parts? Would be interested to know how you did it as a temporary remedy before I order the replacement pin. That would be much better than an awful packing time. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 03:52 AM   #65
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Giving back to this thread that helped me.

Had the passenger's (left side, RHD country) mirror post fail a few weeks ago.
Didn't know about this issue before finding this thread despite owing F25s since 2018, and was sure that I must have hit something or that somebody had messed with my car.

Bought a pair of the stainless mirror posts from AliExpress, since having a spare on hand for the driver's side now means the original will never fail. (Murphy's law)

Taking the mirror off the car and apart was fairly straightforward.
Getting the post installed against the spring pressure was a pain.
Tried compressing the spring with a vice and using first cable ties and then steel wire to hold it compressed, but that didn't work as the cable ties or wire either got in the way or didn't hold.
Was thinking of how to compress it in place like some here did, but the other side is plastic and not parallel to the top of the mirror post.
Then I realised, there is a hole all the way through.
Using some M8 threaded rod and a flanged nut underneath against the cast alloy body made it easy.
The wires came out easily without cutting, just back the small individual connector(s) out of the larger round connector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:16 PM   #66
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
Giving back to this thread that helped me.
Man, what a great idea. I put mine on a hydraulic (hand pumped) press and used a shot bag to support the mirror base. A shot bag isn't exactly something people have lying around lol.

It'd be pretty cool if you could post the name of the part you found on AliExpress. That way others can search for it and find it easier.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0