BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
AmandeepT
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3

Angry 2017 X3 Engine issue

Hi
I purchased this BMW X3 XDrive 28i SUV on May 4th, 2022. I did my due diligence before the purchase, took a look at the multi-point inspection report from Authorised BMW Dealer and everything looked fine. I drove the SUV on the highway with sports mode on and off and everything worked great.

Following are the details:
Model: 2017 BMW X3 28i
Odometer reading: 87,000 km

But, the same day of my purchase (May 4th, 2022), its engine started making a weird noise. I took it to same BMW authorized dealer and they said they'll have to delve into the engine to get to the root cause.
After 2 days, they told me that the entire engine needs replacement.

I am clueless now and obviously depressed. I have bought a BMW car and not a toy for my kid!
I bought my first BMW vehicle thinking it is a big and reliable brand, never expecting it could have that much big repair.

When I contacted BMW Canada, they told me that since the vehicle is outside of the warranty, nothing can be done from the BMW side.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandeepT View Post
Hi
I purchased this BMW X3 XDrive 28i SUV on May 4th, 2022. I did my due diligence before the purchase, took a look at the multi-point inspection report from Authorised BMW Dealer and everything looked fine. I drove the SUV on the highway with sports mode on and off and everything worked great.

Following are the details:
Model: 2017 BMW X3 28i
Odometer reading: 87,000 km

But, the same day of my purchase (May 4th, 2022), its engine started making a weird noise. I took it to same BMW authorized dealer and they said they'll have to delve into the engine to get to the root cause.
After 2 days, they told me that the entire engine needs replacement.

I am clueless now and obviously depressed. I have bought a BMW car and not a toy for my kid!
I bought my first BMW vehicle thinking it is a big and reliable brand, never expecting it could have that much big repair.

When I contacted BMW Canada, they told me that since the vehicle is outside of the warranty, nothing can be done from the BMW side.
What specifically is the engine problem?

Get a second opinion from an Indy Mechanic.
      05-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
Sandy5454
Sandy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I dont know about Canada but dont you have at least a few months warranty from the supplying dealer? I would take it back to him and tell him to fix it, or see him in court. Make a real fuss, as you said you paid a lot of money for a failed piece of German engineering. Contact BMW Canada and explain and complain.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...
Did you buy it from a dealer?
If so, they should repair it, especially since it failed the same day you bought it.
Did you have an independent PPI performed, prior to purchase.
What is the exact problem with the engine that requires it to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandeepT View Post
Hi

Oh boy, that's just not true...lol. Reliability=Toyota primarily, Honda secondary. German vehicles are only reliable under warranty...lol. They cost A LOT more to repair and maintain. Your issue is more of a legal case now, so consult with a lawyer. If you signed an "as-is" clause, you're out of luck.

FYI: For future, take the vehicle for a pre-purchase inspection to a reputable mechanic. BMW dealerships especially don't do a good job with PPI's since their main clientele is people who lease. Having a honest mechanic is important before buying a maintenance heavy vehicle like a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

If you bought the bimmer from a BMW dealer, you could ask for all the maintenance record of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 10:38 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

What was the weird noise? Most importantly, what did the dealer say was the matter? What did the dealer say it would cost? I have no idea what rights you have in Canada regarding a car you just bought. You should find out. You may very well be legally out of luck. If you bought it as is and have no other legal rights in Canada, then one day is really the same as six months. In that case, your options are:

1. Get a second opinion (again, make sure you know exactly what the dealer says is wrong. Demand to know if they did not tell you.) This option may be complicated if the dealer has your engine partially disassembled.

2. Appeal to the dealer for a price split since they inspected the car and you just bought it.

3. Have an independent shop put in a used engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:47 PM   #8
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

OP still not clarify that he bought from a dealer or a private sale.
A while back, I bought a minivan from a dodge dealer in Canada.
The moment I drove home, I heard noise from the front wheel.
I phoned the sales man that night.
He said brought it to the shop, they would fix it.
They replaced the rotor the next day, free of charge.
No problem with the minivan years later.
Appreciate 0