BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #23
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
I ordered a Dorch 2 pump.
Dang chief...

Just curious, will you be doing this install yourself?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Quote:
I ordered a Dorch 2 pump.
Dang chief...

Just curious, will you be doing this install yourself?
No I am too old and lazy and I have a terrific shop that did all my 335d work.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 06:27 PM   #25
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Gas mileage running E85 is pretty bad. That said, I am probably driving even more aggressively with E85 than premium but I would guess my mpg has gone from 15 mpg to 11 mpg. I am not sure if getting a Dorch 2 will do anything but make this worse. That is unless the guys at MHD can work some magic with a custom tune. Given the scarcity of E85 fuel if I were to take a road trip I am feeling somewhat conflicted about the whole endeavor. That said, premium fuel prices are so goddamn nuts in CA (6.69 a gallon) that I am still probably saving on the margin but their ain't no free lunch in any of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:10 PM   #26
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Gas mileage running E85 is pretty bad. That said, I am probably driving even more aggressively with E85 than premium but I would guess my mpg has gone from 15 mpg to 11 mpg. I am not sure if getting a Dorch 2 will do anything but make this worse. That is unless the guys at MHD can work some magic with a custom tune. Given the scarcity of E85 fuel if I were to take a road trip I am feeling somewhat conflicted about the whole endeavor. That said, premium fuel prices are so goddamn nuts in CA (6.69 a gallon) that I am still probably saving on the margin but their ain't no free lunch in any of this.
Whew, if I was only getting like 180-190 miles per tank, I'd be a little worried lolol.

Glad you like the E85 tune, though... I was wrong when I said not to do it. Most of the B58 research I'd done was pointing towards E30-50 blends, but I'm not surprised they're able to tune the full E85 (although E85 is really only E51-E83).

I would also guess that Dorch stage 2 won't help your gas mileage, but I'm not an expert lol
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 01:25 AM   #27
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougherty85 View Post
Quote:
Whew, if I was only getting like 180-190 miles per tank, I'd be a little worried lolol.

Glad you like the E85 tune, though... I was wrong when I said not to do it. Most of the B58 research I'd done was pointing towards E30-50 blends, but I'm not surprised they're able to tune the full E85 (although E85 is really only E51-E83).

I would also guess that Dorch stage 2 won't help your gas mileage, but I'm not an expert lol
The E85 I run is high quality Propel E85 is CA…much closer to 80ish ethanol according to local tests. The fuel mileage hit is an issue if I give my wife the car for a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:31 AM   #28
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZeroNineOneEight View Post
Quote:
Any consensus on best flex fuel kit today?
I have not been able to compare others but I know the dorch and obviously mhd kits are well integrated with mhd. Any kit that communicates the content with the dme via canbus.
Double have you or anyone else upgraded a fuel pump in isolation and felt that holy shit that made a huge difference? I ran my car today hard, and for what it is worth, I didn't necessarily sense "damn the 1st gen fuel pump is not keeping up", but then again I am not going to know anything until I try it and what the hell do I know. I will pm you
Its very easy to know when your fuel pump
Is not keeping up.
Full throttle 3rd gear or higher your car feels like you hit a brick wall and you get a drivetrain malfunction. No guessing there.
I kind of feel this when the car shifts into 6th gear….power band seems to flatten
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #29
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have not been able to compare others but I know the dorch and obviously mhd kits are well integrated with mhd. Any kit that communicates the content with the dme via canbus.
Double have you or anyone else upgraded a fuel pump in isolation and felt that holy shit that made a huge difference? I ran my car today hard, and for what it is worth, I didn't necessarily sense "damn the 1st gen fuel pump is not keeping up", but then again I am not going to know anything until I try it and what the hell do I know. I will pm you
Is not keeping up.
Full throttle 3rd gear or higher your car feels like you hit a brick wall and you get a drivetrain malfunction. No guessing there.
I kind of feel this when the car shifts into 6th gear….power band seems to flatten
Right. But you don't get a drivetrain malfunction.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #30
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is not keeping up.
That is correct. Would that be something I could potentially throw using E85 with the stock hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 05:10 AM   #31
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is not keeping up.
That is correct. Would that be something I could potentially throw using E85 with the stock hpfp?
Correct. That was the question how do you know if your fuel pump is at max capacity. Thats how you know.
If you havent gotten anything yet, then youre all right. A small slow down in boost at 6th gear pull is absolutely nothing but your boost pressure doing what it was programmed to do.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is not keeping up.
Correct. That was the question how do you know if your fuel pump is at max capacity. Thats how you know.
If you havent gotten anything yet, then youre all right. A small slow down in boost at 6th gear pull is absolutely nothing but your boost pressure doing what it was programmed to do.
Got it…so not fueling related per se. But any theory in why the pull in sixth would be flatter when E85 is supposed to provide more HP. I think what I am also wondering is how much a Dorch 2 is needed if I am only likely to run an MHD Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 06:17 AM   #33
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Is anyone else here running E85?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #34
DoubleZeroNineOneEight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Most people don’t because everything points to it placing unnecessary stress on the fuel system for little benefit over E50 or even E40. Mostly you see D1 or TU stick with E50 or below. I’ve read of one instance where the gen1 with tu and gc vargas turbo made slightly less power running E85 than running 93oct. They found their particular tu’s limit at around 500whp on E85 and maybe that helps you with your question about pumps needed.

edit: After that, they swapped in a dorch stage 2 and tuned for E50.

Last edited by DoubleZeroNineOneEight; 06-02-2022 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #35
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most people don't because everything points to it placing unnecessary stress on the fuel system for little benefit over E50 or even E40. Mostly you see D1 or TU stick with E50 or below. I've read of one instance where the gen1 with tu and gc vargas turbo made slightly less power running E85 than running 93oct. They found their particular tu's limit at around 500whp on E85 and maybe that helps you with your question about pumps needed.

edit: After that, they swapped in a dorch stage 2 and tuned for E50.
Interesting…I think I need to chat with MHD guys as well as head down to Vargas and have a chat with those guys. Given that I know have a Dorch 2 sitting on my office floor I assume I will be able to avoid any fueling issues. Not sure I want to install until Dorch gets their flex fuel system back in stock.

Last edited by Chief Orman; 06-02-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 02:09 PM   #36
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

OK this is blowing my mind…my trip computer and onboard info are telling that I am getting 12 mpg running E85. In addition, when I fill my car with E85 the range estimate would read, say, 230 miles. When I used to fill up with premium it would give me a range of, say, 290. Then a few days ago I began to feel that my mileage wasn't actually that bad. So I decided to fire up the Fuelly app and this morning I come to find that my mpg is actually 16.8! And I have been driving with a lead foot. I double checked my Fuelly inputs.

Does anybody have theory on why my travel computer and estimated range would be so off from reality when I assume this is something that is not prone to error given the simplicity of the measurement?

Is anybody else running E85 exclusively? What is your MPG?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #37
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Switch to E85
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #38
suby01
United_States
Rep

Have you tested your E85 for actual E content?Usually pump E85 is never 85%. Unless youre buying them by the barrel sealed from a shop most people are then not running E85. Thats why its always less expensive than pump gas.

Lastly for your MPG trip to be off. It could be that your car was stopped/parked with the ignition on for a longer period. If youre stopped youre getting 0 MPG which will hurt your average.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #39
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tested your E85 for actual E content?Usually pump E85 is never 85%. Unless youre buying them by the barrel sealed from a shop most people are then not running E85. Thats why its always less expensive than pump gas.

Lastly for your MPG trip to be off. It could be that your car was stopped/parked with the ignition on for a longer period. If youre stopped youre getting 0 MPG which will hurt your average.
Based on folks who have self-tested Propel E85 it is 75-80% ethanol but they don't have a good network of stations outside of the big cities in CA.

Propel has a fairly high profile with the California Air Resources Board and I am sure they are getting some sort of tax benefit from the state.

Well here you go:

The excise tax on ethanol and methanol fuel blends containing up to 15% gasoline or diesel fuel is one-half the tax on gasoline and diesel prescribed by California Revenue and Taxation Code section 8651.

(Reference California Revenue and Taxation Code 8651-8651.8, and California Business and Professions Code 13404 and 13470)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #40
suby01
United_States
Rep

Cool our best pump E is 70%.
We only have 2 stations in the state.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #41
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Took a road trip from the Bay Area to San Diego. 300 mile stretch with no E85 within 10 miles of the interstate. Had to take a 14 mile diversion into Bakersfield to get E85. Pain in the ass. Moreover, given the pretty good highway mileage of the X3 vis a vis shitty city mpg I am not sure if I saved that much money with E85.
Appreciate 0