BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2024, 06:55 AM   #1
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

X3M vs X5M

So, I've been shopping around for an X3M/C and there are some to be had in my area for seemingly good prices -- $55-65k, depending on mileage.

However, but luck driving through my local Chevy dealership, a gorgeous 22' X5M was parked there with 33k miles. Looks like it's similarly priced to a new X3M. In 33k miles, it's had 3 owners.

I haven't driven either yet, so wanted to get everyone's insight. I know everyone complains about the X3M's ride, but I imagine the X5M is a bit more compliant. If the prices are similar, I think I'd just go for the X5M. But, this being a German M car, who knows how the previous miles were treated, etc.

Have any have you had the X5M and downsized to the X3M? I want to make the right decision as this would be the "fun" car and not my Outback, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:11 AM   #2
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
IMHO the X3M is going to be a better "fun" car. It's lighter and sportier than the X5M will be. I'm also not convinced on the S63 motor at this point, where as the B/S58's have proven themselves to be very stout.

Since you are looking for a fun car and already have a daily type vehicle, have you thought about an M3? If we didn't get snow up here, there would be a bunch of other vehicles I'd consider, but I needed something that did well in all climates.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:23 AM   #3
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
IMHO the X3M is going to be a better "fun" car. It's lighter and sportier than the X5M will be. I'm also not convinced on the S63 motor at this point, where as the B/S58's have proven themselves to be very stout.

Since you are looking for a fun car and already have a daily type vehicle, have you thought about an M3? If we didn't get snow up here, there would be a bunch of other vehicles I'd consider, but I needed something that did well in all climates.
I haven't looked at the M3 as the main reason is convincing my better half, and she's more OK with an SUV

BUT...an M3 xDrive would be awesome, but don't care for the exterior design.

Yea, the X3M is perhaps the more fun car. I guess, then, what would be a "healthy" mileage that would mitigate some hard abuse from previous owners? I'd want to keep this car long-term and don't want some hand-me-down kid that bought it new with a $1500/month payment just to wreck it internally and nobody knows about it. Maybe I'm just paranoid, ha. I don't want to buy new, but take advantage of a MY22+ with maybe less than 15k miles, if I can find one for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:35 AM   #4
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

I would go with the X3M, the X5M with 35K miles and 3 owners is what I don't like. On the M3 I would skip! It's common now seeing them on the roads, to many have them. Good luck
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 07:38 AM   #5
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayzar View Post
I would go with the X3M, the X5M with 35K miles and 3 owners is what I don't like. On the M3 I would skip! It's common now seeing them on the roads, to many have them. Good luck
That's true, something to be said to have something a bit more unique.

As for the X5M, maybe I'll find one with only one owner. Those are rare too and I love the look. But, X3M is too!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:51 AM   #6
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 M8 GC, 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I have both a 23 X3M and 24 X5M. X5M every time. I like both but the X5M with the V8 is special and performs similar to the X3M but with a whole lot more comfort. Not sure I would consider a used with 3 previous owners though.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:23 PM   #7
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

German cars will be German. But, over the long-term, which one has been proven more reliable? Any weird issues like rod bearings, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:28 PM   #8
turbonator
Rep
Drives: M3

33k miles with 3 owners in less than 3 years is a warning sign. Plus the fact that it's at a Chevy dealer.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2024, 01:32 PM   #9
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
33k miles with 3 owners in less than 3 years is a warning sign. Plus the fact that it's at a Chevy dealer.
Yea I think I'll pass on this particular car. Might just go over there to test drive it (never driven an X5M).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:54 PM   #10
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Welcome to the site man. Since you're a touch new here I think new we can all agree to cut you a little slack at first. LOL No offense, but this exact same subject has been covered numerous times in nauseam. Simply type it into the search bar on the right hand side & you'll see lots of previous discussions on this. The X3 M is referred to as the M3 of the SUV world. Despite the X5 M being an awesome quick tank with a softer ride, it's not nearly as nimble & dynamic as the X3 M will ever be. Choose accordingly bud.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
65fastback1153.00
      02-22-2024, 01:57 PM   #11
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Welcome to the site man. Since you're a touch new here I think new we can all agree to cut you a little slack at first. LOL No offense, but this exact same subject has been covered numerous times in nauseam. Simply type it into the search bar on the right hand side & you'll see lots of previous discussions on this. The X3 M is referred to as the M3 of the SUV world. Despite the X5 M being an awesome quick tank with a softer ride, it's not nearly as nimble & dynamic as the X3 M will ever be. Choose accordingly bud.

It's OK, I get it as the newbie

I'm leaning X3M based on everything said and what I've read so far here, just figured I'd ask hopefully what was a more direct question, ha!
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 05:47 PM   #12
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

I have had 2 X3M’s in the last 2.5 years and switched to an X5M Comp 5 months ago. There is no comparison.

From a performance standpoint, the X3M might be a little quicker in straight line 0-60, but there are other factors. Obviously the weight difference being the biggest. The S58 on the F97 has nothing down low, you will notice the lag. Once it gets going though, it’s a freight train.

The X5M is heavier, but performs in a way an SUV that big and heavy, shouldn’t. It’s instanst go, and doesn’t stop. And then there is the interior, which nobody has mentioned, which is not even in the same stratosphere. The X5M is sooo much nicer. Alcantara headliner, massaging seats, heated/cooled cup holders, and the list goes on. I bought a 2022, with 20k miles this past September, and have regretted my decision one bit.

Drive them both and see what you prefer. If the pricing is as a close as what you say it is, and you drive both, I think the decision will be obvious.
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2024, 06:23 PM   #13
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerFlight View Post
So, I've been shopping around for an X3M/C and there are some to be had in my area for seemingly good prices -- $55-65k, depending on mileage.

However, but luck driving through my local Chevy dealership, a gorgeous 22' X5M was parked there with 33k miles. Looks like it's similarly priced to a new X3M. In 33k miles, it's had 3 owners.

I haven't driven either yet, so wanted to get everyone's insight. I know everyone complains about the X3M's ride, but I imagine the X5M is a bit more compliant. If the prices are similar, I think I'd just go for the X5M. But, this being a German M car, who knows how the previous miles were treated, etc.

Have any have you had the X5M and downsized to the X3M? I want to make the right decision as this would be the "fun" car and not my Outback, haha.
Coming from an X5 to the X4, I can tell you the X5 is more luxurious and more comfortable, that's because it's designed to be at a higher level on the premium scale...
No doubt that the V8 in the X5M is a locomotive, pulls like mad... no substitute for simple displacement (4.4 vs 3.0 Liters) for torque.
However, do you wonder at all why it's had 3 owners in only 33k miles?

If you are more about creature comforts (as mentioned by Bmock17) then go with the X5M (maybe not THAT ONE) and you will be very happy.

If you are wanting a less expensive and more RAW vehicle, then go for the X3.

You can't go wrong with either to be honest, they are both great and unique in their own ways... up to your preferences and how deep your pockets are

Last edited by 95wildtt; 02-22-2024 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2024, 12:01 AM   #14
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 M8 GC, 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Some new info on the X5M handling from another thread. As I said, comfort and really no trade off in performance and handling.

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084523
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 06:45 AM   #15
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

How's the long-term reliability on each?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:37 AM   #16
Bimma360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerFlight View Post
I haven't looked at the M3 as the main reason is convincing my better half, and she's more OK with an SUV

BUT...an M3 xDrive would be awesome, but don't care for the exterior design.
I have a lot to say about this hahah. The X3M replaced our E53 X5 4.8is as the family car (I still need to put the X5 up for sale). Both my wife and I work remotely and don't have a daily commute, our 2 kids are pretty young, so we really didn't need something too big. Since this is the kid hauler, according to my wife we needed to stay with an SUV. Plus I also have some older bimmers I enjoy from time to time. So for "the family" car it didn't have to fit "the fun car" niche but it would have been a win for me if it was "a fun car." The X3M has roughly the same dimensions as the E53, so that was a great candidate. Other cars in the same price range I was looking at were B58 X5's and B58 X7's.

I do most of the driving anyway, so the wife didn't really care what we got as long as it was a SUV and no smaller than the E53. Fine, a compromise I can work with. So for me personally, the choice was easy, an X3M. An M car, that was going to be a lot more fun to drive than the other two. Plus there was a local one that was a really nice spec, so it worked out perfectly. It was a one owner for $58k with 18k miles. I think around 20k miles or less is a good entry point for these used if you want to hang on to it for a while.

I am a car guy through and through. I think fast SUV's are a little dumb, as they will never be as good as the sedan counter part. But to be honest, I also think its dumbness also makes it kind of cool. It's pretty comical to keep up with or blow the doors off sports cars in a straight line in a thing that makes no sense to be this fast haha.

So here is the kicker, and my long winded point.

I go to the dealer to see this thing, and quickly realize that despite it's dimension being the same as the E53, the inside is a LOT less roomy, the cargo space b/c of the spare tire is slightly smaller, its slightly lower, and sitting in and driving this thing feels a lot like a car. Oh well... good for me, I bought it anyway. So the wife notices this right off the bat, hahah. Ultimately, she's fine with it, but for us the X3M is the ultimate compromise. She gets the SUV, something that's higher off the ground than a sedan and has more cargo space (albeit not exactly what she wanted), and I get a fast fun to drive M that feels a little bit like driving a car.

So after a week of driving this thing, I am in love. The X3M is a fantastic "small" suv. I love almost everything about it, especially the S58. And here is the problem. Despite never driving the M3/M4, I KNOW it is worlds better than the X3M. If I like the X3M this much, I now know I want the M3/M4, even despite the looks (they have grown on me though). So much so that I have been window shopping the M4 ever since haha. Here is how I see it. If we ever had to have two family cars + a fun car, I would keep the X3M the wife would probably have an X7 and the "fun" car would be an M4. If we could only have two family cars then it would be an X7, and an M3 for me. The X3M would have to go. If we remain only needing one family car, the X3M will stay a while. I'll get that M4 eventually, but I can see the X3M getting replaced by a X7 (or something else) eventually if we just need more space.

So here is my opinion. I don't see an X3M being "the" fun car. If it needs to serve multiple purposes, one of which that requires what an SUV offers, the X3M will be the a great fun option. If you really don't need an SUV, get the wife comfortable with an M3. B/c if you don't care about the "harsh" (I don't think it is harsh) ride of the X3M, you will love it, and very soon realize how much more you would love the M3.

If luxury and comfort are a priority, and you don't care about the potential maintenance costs the X5M would be a great choice. But again, I don't think something that can be "the" fun car.

Sorry for the super long read. Sometimes I just want to tell a story to try and best illustrate my point and frame of mind. A lot of good opinions in this thread. Good luck in your search!
Appreciate 1
95wildtt983.00
      02-23-2024, 10:09 AM   #17
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Sold my ‘21 X3MC back to BMW 2wks ago in lieu of ordering a new X5MC next month. After driving the LCI X5M I prefer the ride and the obvious upgraded interior,etc over the X3M. Stock for stock they’re basically equal in 0-60,1/8mi & 1/4 mi times. Add a piggyback to each and they’re both low 11sec SUV’s.
My X3MC had 21k mi on it when I sold it and it was MINT. Local dealer whom I bought it from has it on their lot if you’re interested shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:21 AM   #18
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
I have a lot to say about this hahah. The X3M replaced our E53 X5 4.8is as the family car (I still need to put the X5 up for sale). Both my wife and I work remotely and don't have a daily commute, our 2 kids are pretty young, so we really didn't need something too big. Since this is the kid hauler, according to my wife we needed to stay with an SUV. Plus I also have some older bimmers I enjoy from time to time. So for "the family" car it didn't have to fit "the fun car" niche but it would have been a win for me if it was "a fun car." The X3M has roughly the same dimensions as the E53, so that was a great candidate. Other cars in the same price range I was looking at were B58 X5's and B58 X7's.

I do most of the driving anyway, so the wife didn't really care what we got as long as it was a SUV and no smaller than the E53. Fine, a compromise I can work with. So for me personally, the choice was easy, an X3M. An M car, that was going to be a lot more fun to drive than the other two. Plus there was a local one that was a really nice spec, so it worked out perfectly. It was a one owner for $58k with 18k miles. I think around 20k miles or less is a good entry point for these used if you want to hang on to it for a while.

I am a car guy through and through. I think fast SUV's are a little dumb, as they will never be as good as the sedan counter part. But to be honest, I also think its dumbness also makes it kind of cool. It's pretty comical to keep up with or blow the doors off sports cars in a straight line in a thing that makes no sense to be this fast [...]

Great points, thank you! I like the idea of a fast SUV and it's still practical, which makes it an easier sell with the wife. Sometninbg low 4s and not huge is appealing as well. Though l have to try the M3, though that grill...
First thing is test drive the X3M and X5M, then I can narrow it down some.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #19
Johnzi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

X5M costs a *lot* more new, I wouldn’t touch one with that mileage/price/owner history.

Looks like a lemon, why suck on it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #20
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnzi View Post
X5M costs a *lot* more new, I wouldn’t touch one with that mileage/price/owner history.

Looks like a lemon, why suck on it?
The X5M is about $47k more (starting MSRP) than the X3M...
Per the 2024 BMW "build your own page": https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/series
X3M: $75.5k
X5M: $122.3k

It better have some really nice creature comfort/features and more cylinders for a >60% price bump**

**Note: I am aware that these are for new builds, and your price may vary (ie be higher with options)
**Note2: There are used examples for both, but the delta will remain sizable for like mileage, options and condition

Last edited by 95wildtt; 02-23-2024 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-23-2024, 11:18 PM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
I have had 2 X3M’s in the last 2.5 years and switched to an X5M Comp 5 months ago. There is no comparison.

From a performance standpoint, the X3M might be a little quicker in straight line 0-60, but there are other factors. Obviously the weight difference being the biggest. The S58 on the F97 has nothing down low, you will notice the lag. Once it gets going though, it’s a freight train.

The X5M is heavier, but performs in a way an SUV that big and heavy, shouldn’t. It’s instanst go, and doesn’t stop. And then there is the interior, which nobody has mentioned, which is not even in the same stratosphere. The X5M is sooo much nicer. Alcantara headliner, massaging seats, heated/cooled cup holders, and the list goes on. I bought a 2022, with 20k miles this past September, and have regretted my decision one bit.

Drive them both and see what you prefer. If the pricing is as a close as what you say it is, and you drive both, I think the decision will be obvious.

The X3 MC is the same exact size as the very first generation X5. So it's the market that's growing & we no longer know what mid size anything is. The X3 M will always be able to brake, corner & maneuver better than a X5 M ever will. It's much more dynamic, nimble & sporty than it's heavier & substantial more costly brother is. All you're gaining is two inches of shoulder room. If you don't believe it, see how BMW stacks it against its "slightly" smaller sibling. It becomes a lot more clear one you look at the actual numbers & official interior space comparison.

https://www.bmwofstratham.com/bmw-x3...5-stratham-nh/

And people who say it has no torque down low are usually the ones that have the shifting algorithm they've pre-selected on the shifter in the wrong mode most of the time. This SAV doesn't lack torque. It's often just in the wrong gear at the wrong times. If you selected the write modes this alleviates this non issue. The LCI model has changed the throttle tip in & accelerator fuel mapping curve / drive logic even more so. And yes I know, no replacement for displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
The X5M is about $47k more (starting MSRP) than the X3M...
Per the 2024 BMW "build your own page": https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/series
X3M: $75.5k
X5M: $122.3k

It better have some really nice creature comfort/features and more cylinders for a >60% price bump**

**Note: I am aware that these are for new builds, and your price may vary (ie be higher with options)
**Note2: There are used examples for both, but the delta will remain sizable for like mileage, options and condition
Exactly, they both are at a completely different cost point. Servicing them will also put a much larger dent in your wallet with that V-8. A severely driven / 3 owner X5 M might be in the same price bracket. So don't let the prices on one with a high turnover rate fool you. At the end of the day, if I wanted a quick / fast cruiser that could corner relatively well & had more dough to spend... I would still get the X3 M. If I'm going to sacrifice some of the handling characteristics of a lower center of gravity sports sedan, I don't want to give up that much in terms of overall handling dynamics & especially after paying that much. Just my .02 cents.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///

Last edited by Kevin_The_Clean1; 02-23-2024 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 05:48 AM   #22
TankerFlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. I think I'm leaning X3M, so now I'm thinking X3MC as there are some of those with less than 20k miles for less than $70k. Otherwise the standard versions look to be lows to mid $60k for a seemingly good example.

How much useful warranty can one add if you get a certified vs non-certified? When I had my S4, I was able to add some, but the coverage wasn't very comprehensive.
Appreciate 0