BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
jeffj124
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC

2020 X4MC previous owner

This is a long shot but I'm wondering if the previous owner of my 2020 X4M Comp (Phytonic Blue exterior, Tartufo interior) is here on the forums. I believe the previous owner was located near Roseville, CA. When I purchased the car it only came with one key and I think the key somehow got locked inside the vehicle this weekend.

I called BMW Response Center but the profile is still assigned to the previous owner so they can't do a remote unlock. I'm really trying to avoid having the car towed to the dealer but not sure what my options are at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj124 View Post
This is a long shot but I'm wondering if the previous owner of my 2020 X4M Comp (Phytonic Blue exterior, Tartufo interior) is here on the forums. I believe the previous owner was located near Roseville, CA. When I purchased the car it only came with one key and I think the key somehow got locked inside the vehicle this weekend.

I called BMW Response Center but the profile is still assigned to the previous owner so they can't do a remote unlock. I'm really trying to avoid having the car towed to the dealer but not sure what my options are at this point.
I don't think the car will allow you to lock the fob inside the car.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #3
jeffj124
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:

I don't think the car will allow you to lock the fob inside the car.
That's what I thought as well so I'm confused as to what happened. When I park in my garage I normally leave the key inside and never had any issues. This morning when I went to get in all the doors were locked so I figured maybe I inadvertently took the key in the house but can't find it anywhere.

Also when I lock the car with the fob from the outside the side mirrors fold in, but right now the mirrors are out. And to add insult to injury the windows are tinted so much that I can't even look inside the vehicle to confirm if the key is where I normally leave it (next to the wireless charging pad)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
That's what I thought as well so I'm confused as to what happened. When I park in my garage I normally leave the key inside and never had any issues. This morning when I went to get in all the doors were locked so I figured maybe I inadvertently took the key in the house but can't find it anywhere.

Also when I lock the car with the fob from the outside the side mirrors fold in, but right now the mirrors are out. And to add insult to injury the windows are tinted so much that I can't even look inside the vehicle to confirm if the key is where I normally leave it (next to the wireless charging pad)
You on my bmw app? I can unlock doors from that?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
jeffj124
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
Quote:

You on my bmw app? I can unlock doors from that?
Unfortunately not. Got the car about a month ago and hadn't set it up yet (stupid me)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #6
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
You cant lock a key in the car, keep looking. Get a slip from the dealer that shows proof of ownership and have a BMW genius help you setup the account..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      06-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
jeffj124
Rep

Quick update for anyone that is looking for similar info in the future. The key was indeed locked inside the car. No idea what sequence of events allowed that to happen.

As far as options for getting into the vehicle, I got a bunch of conflicting information from BMW Assist, Roadside Assistance, and my local dealer. In the end I lucked out that the title showed up at my notary yesterday morning so I was able to register the car in my name. Once that was done I sent the temporary registration and insurance card to BMW Assist and after 1.5 days of calling and emailing I finally got them to put the MyBMW app account in my name, and I was able to unlock the doors via the app.

Time to order a spare key!
Appreciate 1
thestimp985.50
      06-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:

Shouldn't the dealer provide you with 2 keys?
Mine did on my used 2020 X4MC, just FYI...

The Porsche dealer is buying a second key for my wife's used 2020 Macan also, as the previous owner "lost it".
Been waiting 3+ months now, I know global chip shortage, but hopeful we will get it someday

Worth asking... keys are big bucks.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
jeffj124
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Quote:

Shouldn't the dealer provide you with 2 keys?
Mine did on my used 2020 X4MC, just FYI...

The Porsche dealer is buying a second key for my wife's used 2020 Macan also, as the previous owner "lost it".
Been waiting 3+ months now, I know global chip shortage, but hopeful we will get it someday

Worth asking... keys are big bucks.
Did you buy both of your vehicles from said dealers? I purchased mine from a Buick/GMC dealer across the country and I'm assuming my local BMW dealer probably wouldn't foot the cost since I didn't purchase from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you buy both of your vehicles from said dealers? I purchased mine from a Buick/GMC dealer across the country and I'm assuming my local BMW dealer probably wouldn't foot the cost since I didn't purchase from them.
Ahhhh... OK.
I bought the BMW from the local dealer, and the Porsche also.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:28 PM   #11
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
The only way you could lock the key in the car is if the battery was low enough for the car not to detect the fob.
I would say that leaving your keys in your car is ill advised as well. Don't do that. (Not trying to be a smart@ss, but why would you do that)? Unless you live on a dirt road with the closest neighbors 4 miles away never do this.
I had a buddy in college have his Grand Prix stolen because he did the same thing and Insurance wouldn't cover it.
      06-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #12
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi from DSM View Post
The only way you could lock the key in the car is if the battery was low enough for the car not to detect the fob.
I would say that leaving your keys in your car is ill advised as well. Don't do that. (Not trying to be a smart@ss, but why would you do that)? Unless you live on a dirt road with the closest neighbors 4 miles away never do this.
I had a buddy in college have his Grand Prix stolen because he did the same thing and Insurance wouldn't cover it.
I'm also not sure the X will properly "go to sleep" as it should, which will result in a dead battery in the X.
BMW recommends keeping the key a distance away from their cars so that the car can go into a sleep mode after about 7-8 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #13
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I suspect it can also happen if the key fob is too far away from the steering column like in the hatch.

OP - where in the car was the key located?

And I agree, bad idea to keep the key in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #14
jeffj124
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
I suspect it can also happen if the key fob is too far away from the steering column like in the hatch.

OP - where in the car was the key located?

And I agree, bad idea to keep the key in the vehicle.
It was in the small slot to the right of the wireless charging pad. And yes, lesson learned, I'll be taking the key inside the house from now on.
Appreciate 0