BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2024, 07:45 AM   #1
lollipop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

2019 X3 M40i Emergency Call System Malfunction Issue

I had this same Emergency Call System Malfunction issue twice before.
One time in 2019 and the other in 2021. It was fixed under warranty in both times.

My issues were:
- GPS is off - Navigation says I am somewhere else.
- Bluetooth is working for music, but the mic is not working.
- No voice command - because mic is not working.
- No internet connectivity on vehicle.

Dealer said there was water invasion on the shark fin antenna. And they had to replace the whole TCU both times.

And guess what? Now I am having the same issue again. Current mileage on my car is around 26k.
I am out of warranty right now, and I just dropped my car off for diagnosis at dealer today. I hope the dealer fixes it at no cost as a goodwill, since I constantly have the exact same problem.

Did anyone go through the same issue that I had? I saw few posts about emergency call system malfunction, but I couldn't find someone that had that issue every other year or so.

Is there any action that I can take if the dealer charges stupid amount to fix it? Like contacting BMW HQ, or find a mechanic that charges less, etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:08 PM   #2
jayshaaawn
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40I

Did they actually re-seal your sharkfin which is where the leak starts at in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
lollipop
Registered
Rep

Yeah they resealed sharkfin both times per their service quote/receipts.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:40 AM   #4
lollipop
Registered
Rep

Update:
- I did the diagnostics which costed me around $250. Turned out to be the same issue. I knew this beforehand because all of the issues were the same.
- Got quote around $2300. Service Consultant said they reached out to BMW NA got discount to $1500.
- I left dealer without repairing the issue.
- I collected all service records/history for my vehicle, and was about to reach out to BMW NA regarding this issue. (But I haven't reached out yet)
- (a week later after the diagnostics) I received a survey from BMW NA on my email and filled out what I felt about the issue. The next day, I got a call from dealership regarding my vehicle. They reached out to BMW NA on my behalf, and now they are willing to repair it with goodwill for about 10% of original quote. Original quote was around $2300.

Last edited by lollipop; 04-30-2024 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0