BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Any regrets, or major issues with your X3M...?

If you had to do it again, would you purchase it knowing what you know now after some time behind the wheel...?

I finally test drove one today (Comp), and was worried the ride would be far too harsh (after watching numerous YT reviews)...

I don't know if I'm just used to driving stiff vehicles, but the ride seemed "fine" for daily driving to me...

The power was prodigious, and unnecessary so i definitely want it, but am not going to overpay for it, considering my dealer has 5 on the lot (3 Comps)... I can't fathom why they don't order more of these with the ventilated seat option... it's a $450 option, just add the damn thing...

I told myself my next car WILL have the ventilated option so they would have to come at me with a killer deal...

Anyhow, give me your reasons why you might not make the purchase over again...
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
      07-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Zero regrets. I would definitely buy it again. Love almost everything about this car - and I think this car is a huge bargain considering the performance and the tech. My only points of criticism would be the rather mediocre HK sound system (upgraded with Bavsound) and the lack of full leather option. In summary, if you want a performance SUV this is the one to get.
Appreciate 4
      07-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I switch from 2019 m40i to x3mcomp no issues
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckneasel View Post
If you had to do it again, would you purchase it knowing what you know now after some time behind the wheel...?

I finally test drove one today (Comp), and was worried the ride would be far too harsh (after watching numerous YT reviews)...

I don't know if I'm just used to driving stiff vehicles, but the ride seemed "fine" for daily driving to me...

The power was prodigious, and unnecessary so i definitely want it, but am not going to overpay for it, considering my dealer has 5 on the lot (3 Comps)... I can't fathom why they don't order more of these with the ventilated seat option... it's a $450 option, just add the damn thing...

I told myself my next car WILL have the ventilated option so they would have to come at me with a killer deal...

I feel like the harsh ride thing is totally blown out of proportion. It's not even close to harsh. My RS3 was significantly more harsh and that was stock. I get it - it's an SUV so people want a cushy ride, but it's an M car too so can't have it both ways.

I love the utility, speed, looks, and tech. Very happy with my purchase.
Appreciate 5
      07-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
mojojojo231
Mojo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Agree with all comments above. I have about 9k miles on mine since last November and loving it more each day.

Suspension is firmer than most any other suv but it's an M so it's expected.

The car still astonishes me when I get on it and take some back roads. People have no idea what it is. Especially debadged
Appreciate 4
      07-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
What made you do that...?

I'm also considering the M40i as i do not NEED nearly 500hp, but why the hell not... LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo231 View Post
Agree with all comments above. I have about 9k miles on mine since last November and loving it more each day.

Suspension is firmer than most any other suv but it's an M so it's expected.

The car still astonishes me when I get on it and take some back roads. People have no idea what it is. Especially debadged
I can tell you that when i got on it on the HWY today and went from 60-120 in what seemed like no time, i was like, "oh yeah, i need this"...

I currently drive an X5 35i and wish it had a little more oomph... the M adds that and then some and some more...
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
ivansis
Rep

Stiff suspension was my main worry when getting X3MC. After driving for almost 3 months i find myself using 'sport' suspension mode most of the time and i got no regrets about ride's stiffness whatsoever.

I can tell you that coming from Audi S4 with 19", the X3M's suspension feels more forgiving over the potholes. It definitely has more absorption distance and more control IMO.

Overall, i have zero regrets getting X3MC, it really brings driver's engagement and fun to a mid-sized SUV.

There are small things I had to adjust to, such as sound system (as mentioned above) , no android auto support, sometimes gimmicky park distance, manual climate control intensity level, but these are common when changing a car brand. And when you press this pedal, - all is forgotten... ))
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:

Mpg
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I bought mine without even test driving it. I was kinda afraid of it being too harsh over bumps in NYC from the reviews but to my surprise it wasn’t that bad and seems to have gotten a lot better with mileage. I only have a little over 2k miles but it’s either more forgiving or I just got used to it. Either way I was fine with the way it was brand new with no mileage so it getting a little softer is a bonus. I wouldn’t want it any softer as I drive it hard in turns and like how flat it stays.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

MPG varies tremendously depending on whether you drive it in "efficient" or one of the sport modes. I can get 20 (mostly highway) in the efficient mode, but it drops into the low-mid teens in sport mode. You can easily see the higher revs at all points of the drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #12
ChipC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

We really like our X3MC. We came from an 2017 x5 50i with rear air springs. No regrets. Gas mileage is only worse when I start listening to the engine and running thru the gears. It is quick and handles great. Exactly what we expected.

We haven’t really found the suspension too firm (other vehicles are 2010 CTS-V and 2015 Silverado 1500). However, the rear suspension feels under controlled when in comfort mode. It is reminds me of our pickup when empty. I think BMW may have too much rear spring for when you have a full load. Air springs in the rear may have been a better solution.

But we still love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #13
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
What made you do that...?

I'm also considering the M40i as i do not NEED nearly 500hp, but why the hell not... LOL
I'm coming from an '18 M40i. If you don't need an M car or know what it is really, then the M40i is just fine. But in my brain, there's just nothing like an M car. We are among friends here so I can call this SUV an M car, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
I'm coming from an '18 M40i. If you don't need an M car or know what it is really, then the M40i is just fine. But in my brain, there's just nothing like an M car. We are among friends here so I can call this SUV an M car, right?
A ton of people here switched from M40i to M, including me. My 2019 M40i (pic below) was a great car, but no comparison to X3 M in terms of performance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #15
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I currently drive a '17 X5 and do love the car, but it needs more oomph... I have had the car lowered about an inch but still rides perfectly acceptable...

The M didn't seem that far off from my X5 and i could live with it no problem from the short time i had behind the wheel...

Prior to the X5, I had an S5 with 20" wheels and lowered a good amount, so I am well versed on a "stiff ride"...

So would you guys say lease would be better option over a straight purchase...? I've never leased before...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I absolutely love mine. I feel the MPG could be better and it is when I drive highway. Regardless if I’m slamming it or driving like a grandma my mileage sucks locally (~12). Highway can go up to 18 even when I’m gunning it.

This is my first new car in over a decade so it was like a spaceship to me. The ride is great but I do wish it took potholes better. I don’t like floaty so that is my only real gripe.

I did the bavsound upgrade and recently a sub and amp and the sound system is now phenomenal so no issues there.

The ride is much more forgiving than my 2007 Nissan Armada. So much so I’m debating to see what I can do to soften up the suspension on that truck.

What really gets me is how luxurious the interior and ride are. I had a new X5 loaner when in for my break in service and I couldn’t wait to get back in my X3MC. It just feels a lot more high end inside which I hear everyone says the opposite.

It’s easy to forget how fast this thing is because you can drive it like a regular X3 until you mash the gas.

This is literally the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #17
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

No ragrets
Appreciate 1
RR-NYC154.00
      07-19-2020, 01:47 AM   #18
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

MPG

Stiffness - a little too firm. Its a strange thing for me, its is not so bad with pot holes or speed bumps, but the whole car can rock in certain situations (e.g. driveing diagonally over a speed bump). My lowered Focus RS is certainly more "crashy" but less "stiff" - if that makes sense.

I would make the same choice again (it was that or a m40i) - BUT - i strongly suggested to a pal to do the m40i rather than an X3M
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:39 AM   #19
justmill
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would buy it again. No regrets but there's a few wishes.

The ride is definitely stiffer than any real luxury car. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but once in a while it will remind you it's a sports suspension. I wish they could have made the comfort setting a tad more comfortable.

I wish it had the iDrive 7.0, but 6.0 does everything I need and I'd rather have the driving performance over on-board computer performance. The instrument cluster has arguably the perfect layout so that helps.

I think the X3 is the best looking SUV out there right now, but looks being subjective, there's other options that could appeal to others more in that department I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:11 AM   #20
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Big mistake for me absolutely hate it, hardly even drive it. Can’t even get rid as its worth nothing.

Think I got old somewhere along the line. Ride, handling (when pushed on poor roads it’s all over the place, feels like it wants to bounce off the road. H&R have helped a bit, touch more compliant), vibration on rough surfaces through the cabin.

Unlucky for me where I live the roads are very poor and mainly "B" roads which does not help. When I go south, I do enjoy it on long runs but that is only about 5% of driving for me 95% is poor A and B roads.

It does everything well but just not for me.

H&R spring have helps but still too hard for my roads where I live. I find myself choosing roads that I know will be decent to complete a journey.

Will prob fit MSS and play around with it for a while then move on. Messing around with BM3 editing software is keeping my interest. Luckily its not easy to figure out so may take me some time. I may even grow to like it

Can’t complain about the engine performance though, amazing power plant.

Not sure what’s next

Range Rover
RS7
RS6
BMW M5
      07-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #21
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ten months in no regrets. Completely trouble free. I have non comp and it replaced a 2018 X3 30i xLine joining a non comp M3 in the garage. I use it for errands and 500 mile road trips home. The seats are the best I've had. The ride and handling are perfect for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #22
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
Big mistake for me absolutely hate it, hardly even drive it. Can’t even get rid as its worth nothing.

Think I got old somewhere along the line. Ride, handling (when pushed on poor roads it’s all over the place, feels like it wants to bounce off the road. H&R have helped a bit, touch more compliant), vibration on rough surfaces through the cabin.
wasnt expecting you to say that!

but yeah, it does seem bouncy - take the turn off from A97 onto B9119 to Tarland and that first left hander will have you off the road if you attack it

but if you stay on A97 and do Glenkindie, Mossat, Huntly it just suits the car soooooo much better!
Appreciate 0