BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

X3M Base - AS tires, MSS Urban springs?

Hi all,

Spent a lot of time going through this forum before I pulled the trigger on a new 2020 X3M Base - Donington Grey, 21" OEM wheels w/Conti's, Adelaide Gray int. This is my first BMW (and thus my first M car). I am coming out of a 2018 Audi SQ5 (with air suspension). This is my DD. I know an M car is not supposed to feel soft, but coming off a smooth as silk air suspension, I do want to smooth the ride out a bit in my X3M, esp. over big bumps in the road. So, on to the questions:

1. Springs. I've read a lot about the MSS Urban springs. This seems the best first step. I've read the various threads and watched the YT video. Has anyone else with a X3M Base (non-comp) installed the MSS Urbans? If so, did you keep it at stock height or lower? I've seen a lot of folks lower to 1", has anyone done something a little less, like 1/2"?

2. Tires. I have the Conti's. In my neck of the woods we get sub freezing temps, snow, and the occasional ice storm. I've done winter's before on my Audi and disliked having to do the swap, so I prefer all season tires. Yes, I know they aren't as good in the summer as summers, or as good in the winter as winters. But, they are a good middle ground IMHO. I've seen a few folks say they have swapped in AS tires on their X3/4Ms, but haven't heard much feedback. So, for those that have done this, what sizes, tires, etc did you go with? I've been thinking about two options --

Tires: Scorpion Zero All Season Plus - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

Sizes: 265/40/21s on the front and rear, (square) -or- 265/40/21s on the front, 295/35/21s on the rear

Since I am not a "tire guy", are there any gotchas to consider with either size option? Would spacers be "required" with either option?

Also, I noticed that, at least on my X3M with stock wheels/tires, the speedo was already reading 2mph high consistently (at highway speeds) so it would be nice to "correct" this back to actual values as well.

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #2
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

No replies here? Looks like Michelin just released their new All season tires in stock 21" sizes.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
Hi all,

Spent a lot of time going through this forum before I pulled the trigger on a new 2020 X3M Base - Donington Grey, 21" OEM wheels w/Conti's, Adelaide Gray int. This is my first BMW (and thus my first M car). I am coming out of a 2018 Audi SQ5 (with air suspension). This is my DD. I know an M car is not supposed to feel soft, but coming off a smooth as silk air suspension, I do want to smooth the ride out a bit in my X3M, esp. over big bumps in the road. So, on to the questions:

1. Springs. I've read a lot about the MSS Urban springs. This seems the best first step. I've read the various threads and watched the YT video. Has anyone else with a X3M Base (non-comp) installed the MSS Urbans? If so, did you keep it at stock height or lower? I've seen a lot of folks lower to 1", has anyone done something a little less, like 1/2"?

2. Tires. I have the Conti's. In my neck of the woods we get sub freezing temps, snow, and the occasional ice storm. I've done winter's before on my Audi and disliked having to do the swap, so I prefer all season tires. Yes, I know they aren't as good in the summer as summers, or as good in the winter as winters. But, they are a good middle ground IMHO. I've seen a few folks say they have swapped in AS tires on their X3/4Ms, but haven't heard much feedback. So, for those that have done this, what sizes, tires, etc did you go with? I've been thinking about two options --

Tires: Scorpion Zero All Season Plus - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

Sizes: 265/40/21s on the front and rear, (square) -or- 265/40/21s on the front, 295/35/21s on the rear

Since I am not a "tire guy", are there any gotchas to consider with either size option? Would spacers be "required" with either option?

Also, I noticed that, at least on my X3M with stock wheels/tires, the speedo was already reading 2mph high consistently (at highway speeds) so it would be nice to "correct" this back to actual values as well.

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
MSS upgrade is by far the best improvement for softening up your daily ride. Ride height is personal so you may have to do some testing to find the best comfort/aesthetic combo for you.

As far as tires, just depends what you want to do with your M car. Unless you're tracking your SAV you won't be able to discern any performance difference on the street with the Michelin AS tires vs the 4S. Maybe in those rare moments when you're going 10/10 in tight turns. However, you will notice a more comfortable ride and don't have to be concerned when colder temps hit. I stuck with stock size. I figured BMW invests millions into R&D and the sizes are selected for a reason.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-X3MGuy View Post
No replies here? Looks like Michelin just released their new All season tires in stock 21" sizes.
I'd get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s in the stock sizes. I have the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus which theoretically are the passenger car variants of the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus on the M40i and they are just about useless in even light snow. I don't even bother taking the X3 out now when it's below freezing and wet, the Mini with Blizzaks is just so much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

I've purchased Michelin A/S-3+ in 265F/275R on 20" wheels. I'm hoping this gives just the right amount of ride comfort with all-season grip during the rare times that it snows here (NC).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Irnbru
Registered
Rep
Drives: CX-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsnuc View Post
I've purchased Michelin A/S-3+ in 265F/275R on 20" wheels. I'm hoping this gives just the right amount of ride comfort with all-season grip during the rare times that it snows here (NC).
What were the full sizes of those tires? I’m looking for get A/S 3+ for my 20s as well
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

Tire Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsnuc View Post
What were the full sizes of those tires? I’m looking for get A/S 3+ for my 20s as well
265/45 ZR20
275/40 ZR20

in selecting these sizes, I checked the following things besides the width and wheel diameter:
Speed Rating
Load Index
relative diameters
      07-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #8
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

I have both MSS springs and Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus tires. Granted they are 20's. 255/45/20 and 295/40/20 they are a great combo. If you lowered it only 1/2" you'll have a significantly more comfortable ride. I think at 1" you still get a ride that's less stiff as the stock springs. More and you run into too bounce and bump stop interaction. I'm also very impressed with the Pirellis. My X4MC came with the Contis and wasn't very fond of them. The AS Plus are very grippy and take out a lot of the imperfections in the road. Granted I have more meatier 20's. But they are quiet and functional.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear550 View Post
I have both MSS springs and Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus tires. Granted they are 20's. 255/45/20 and 295/40/20 they are a great combo. If you lowered it only 1/2" you'll have a significantly more comfortable ride. I think at 1" you still get a ride that's less stiff as the stock springs. More and you run into too bounce and bump stop interaction. I'm also very impressed with the Pirellis. My X4MC came with the Contis and wasn't very fond of them. The AS Plus are very grippy and take out a lot of the imperfections in the road. Granted I have more meatier 20's. But they are quiet and functional.
I am getting the MSS Urban's and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's installed on my X3M non-comp next week. I stuck with the stock sizes on the tires (I have the 21s) and will probably try stock ride height first on the springs, although I may go lower. I am going to try and use an iPhone app to measure the stock suspension/tires before the install, then do a run after, similar to what Evolve did here:

Will report back once done.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
I am getting the MSS Urban's and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's installed on my X3M non-comp next week. I stuck with the stock sizes on the tires (I have the 21s) and will probably try stock ride height first on the springs, although I may go lower. I am going to try and use an iPhone app to measure the stock suspension/tires before the install, then do a run after, similar to what Evolve did here:

Will report back once done.
Looking forward to hearing about your results. I installed 20 inch AS Conti DWS so far and planning on get the MSS Urbans as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Looking forward to hearing about your results. I installed 20 inch AS Conti DWS so far and planning on get the MSS Urbans as well.
Should have the car back today - took it back in to adjust MSS springs a bit after they settled. Installer said that the little black "extra" springs settle into the "lip" area of the adjuster a bit more than expected so we had to take it back for a final adjustment. Going to go with a 6mm rake which is what Ben @ RGSport recommends. Overall ride height will be fairly unchanged from stock though - maybe 1/4" drop.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      08-15-2020, 05:08 AM   #12
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Should have the car back today - took it back in to adjust MSS springs a bit after they settled. Installer said that the little black "extra" springs settle into the "lip" area of the adjuster a bit more than expected so we had to take it back for a final adjustment. Going to go with a 6mm rake which is what Ben @ RGSport recommends. Overall ride height will be fairly unchanged from stock though - maybe 1/4" drop.
I’m still waiting for mine to show up. I hope it’s worth the wait and the effort.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      08-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
I’m still waiting for mine to show up. I hope it’s worth the wait and the effort.
It is worth it.

After adjusting the springs a bit more, and tweaking tire PSI, I find that the ride is MUCH better -- I really do enjoy the car much more now. This is the way it should come from the factory IMHO.
Appreciate 2
JaeP63.00
AlexFL7836.00
      08-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
It is worth it.

After adjusting the springs a bit more, and tweaking tire PSI, I find that the ride is MUCH better -- I really do enjoy the car much more now. This is the way it should come from the factory IMHO.
All right !!!! Can’t wait now. Thanks for your comments !

If I drove in Florida, I think I wouldn’t mind the stock suspension but some local roads in New England can be painful even for a luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
do you mean the tender spring settling into the adjuster? cause mine is like that and it creaks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
sys64738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSurge View Post
do you mean the tender spring settling into the adjuster? cause mine is like that and it creaks
Yes, that is the spring I was referring to. Mine does not creak. You might E-mail MSS support to see what they have to say - since you are I think the second person to report the issue.
Appreciate 1