BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #309
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Are many of you running 15mm spacers with a mild drop?

Keen to see if 15mm is too much or whether 12mm makes more sense.
I'm running 12mm with a 1 inch drop on 265/295 P4s. Ride/handling is great.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #310
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Go to different dealer.
Not sure about a dealer but I found a local tuning shop in Quincy, MA that is looking into getting the MSS springs. I'll report back if I get it done.

Separately, I've installed Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06, 20 inch and running with 3-4 psi lower than recommended at cold (32/35), the ride at impact is much better. However vibration/sounds are still transmitted into the cabin even with softer sidewall tires. With the windows open, the ride is better because I don't hear the sounds at impact as much- lol. Better sound insulation would probably improve the perceived ride quality as well.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #311
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Quote:
Go to different dealer.
Not sure about a dealer but I found a local tuning shop in Quincy, MA that is looking into getting the MSS springs. I'll report back if I get it done.

Separately, I've installed Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06, 20 inch and running with 3-4 psi lower than recommended at cold (32/35), the ride at impact is much better. However vibration/sounds are still transmitted into the cabin even with softer sidewall tires. With the windows open, the ride is better because I don't hear the sounds at impact as much- lol. Better sound insulation would probably improve the perceived ride quality as well.
Let me know if you need help in getting the MSS spring kit.
Got plenty in stock.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #312
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let me know if you need help in getting the MSS spring kit.
Got plenty in stock.
Good to know. If I don't hear back from them today, I'll call and tell them about you.

I noticed on the MSS site they had different parts for non-comp and Comp.

Is that what you have in stock too ? Different parts ? or are they really the same ?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #313
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Good to know. If I don't hear back from them today, I'll call and tell them about you.

I noticed on the MSS site they had different parts for non-comp and Comp.

Is that what you have in stock too ? Different parts ? or are they really the same ?
AFAIK, they are the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #314
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, they are the same.
Yes MSS confirmed:

Thank you for your email.

They is no separate springs for the X3MC and X3M because the only difference between the two is a remap and cosmetics and no physical changes.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-07-2020, 12:25 AM   #315
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
Eurowerks did my MSS install and at least one other. They do really nice work! Ask for Jared or John.
I’m getting quoted close to $2100 for the MSS kit, 10mm spacers and an alignment. They’re saying the install is 6 hrs of labor. This sounds insane to me. Is that right?

Also, I am not planning to change the ride height. Prefer to keep at stock. I am adding the spacers to give it a more aggressive stance. Decision to do the MSS kit is purely in an effort to improve the back-breaking ride in this car, especially over the abysmal roads in West Palm Beach. Those who have done it, is it still worth it just for the improvement in ride comfort? Or is there another non-adjustable kit that is cheaper, since I’m not lowering?

Last edited by gallagher; 08-07-2020 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #316
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
I’m getting quoted close to $2100 for the MSS kit, 10mm spacers and an alignment. They’re saying the install is 6 hrs of labor. This sounds insane to me. Is that right?

Also, I am not planning to change the ride height. Prefer to keep at stock. I am adding the spacers to give it a more aggressive stance. Decision to do the MSS kit is purely in an effort to improve the back-breaking ride in this car, especially over the abysmal roads in West Palm Beach. Those who have done it, is it still worth it just for the improvement in ride comfort? Or is there another non-adjustable kit that is cheaper, since I’m not lowering?
It should be between 4-6 Hrs if they never worked on this kit before or The specific car, but i would say 3-4 HR would be the average install time. Make sure they follow the instructions of installing the rears first and reusing the rear bump stop for the fronts!

Even if it is 6 HRS what is their shop rate? Lets call the MSS kit $900, Spacers $150, Alignment $150 - 200, Their labor $850 - 900?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #317
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305 View Post
It should be between 4-6 Hrs if they never worked on this kit before or The specific car, but i would say 3-4 HR would be the average install time. Make sure they follow the instructions of installing the rears first and reusing the rear bump stop for the fronts!

Even if it is 6 HRS what is their shop rate? Lets call the MSS kit $900, Spacers $150, Alignment $150 - 200, Their labor $850 - 900?
Spacers are 280 for fronts and rears, but otherwise that’s basically right. Seems very steep. Quote linked below.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0qu88t7CDhUEZu1t0PBEmLwfw
Appreciate 1
aw3051441.50
      08-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #318
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:

I paid 6 Hrs labor at Eurowerks so its not insane,money well spent.You can shop the springs and spacers on your own and just pay them labor.These springs improve the ride immensely however not cheap,maybe you can shop H&R I think they are less expensive.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #319
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOEING 777 View Post
Quote:

I paid 6 Hrs labor at Eurowerks so its not insane,money well spent.You can shop the springs and spacers on your own and just pay them labor.These springs improve the ride immensely however not cheap,maybe you can shop H&R I think they are less expensive.
H&R is cheaper, but it is static drop.
Can't adjust the height to his liking or close to his liking.

gallagher first time installer, will take about 5-6 hours max.
1 hour per corner is a long time already.

Too bad you are on the other side, otherwise I'll do them for better price than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #320
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:

Too bad you are on the other side, otherwise I'll do them for better price than that.
RG many of us wish you were in FL especially ALEX you are a veteran on installation of these springs on our cars.Eurowerks said because my car does not have a spare the installation takes longer and I think you agreed about that.
Me personally would not take my car to any other shop in South FLA.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
AlexFL7833.00
      08-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #321
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOEING 777 View Post
Quote:

RG many of us wish you were in FL especially ALEX you are a veteran on installation of these springs on our cars.Eurowerks said because my car does not have a spare the installation takes longer and I think you agreed about that.
Me personally would not take my car to any other shop in South FLA.
Yes, no spare, about 20-30 minutes longer.

I do wish I can be mobile.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #322
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
I want to provide my experience and caution the members of this forum that it isn't always smooth sailing with the MSS springs. I picked a very well regarded and experienced installer, with highly favorable reviews that was recommended within this forum. I asked for a 1/4" drop to try and maximize comfort due to the poor ride quality. When I picked up the car, the drop was closer to 1 and 1/4 inch. There was minimal improvement to ride comfort, but new banging and clinking sounds from the front struts that was especially bad when turning the car. Folks on the forum were so helpful in pointing out an installation error that I took back in to have corrected. Once corrected, the ride was height raised, yet the springs are still making noise on the test drive. I'm currently going back to the stock set-up to ensure the long term viability of the car.
And...just like that my plans got put on the shelf pending further diligence.

Honestly, I’m really not too hung up on the install cost as long as it’s done correctly. My biggest concerns are (1) doing this and finding minimal improvement in ride quality and thus feeling like it was a waste of time and money (again, improving ride quality is the only goal as I’m keeping ride height at stock); and/or (2) having the car settle over time lower than stock height; and/or (3) experiencing the banging, clinking, or bottoming our that others are reporting, whether it be due to installer error, lowering too much, or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #323
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Aren't the banging and other noises as a result of the instal not being done correctly with rear bump stops moved to the front? If that's the case, then there's nothing wrong with the kit. There's been plenty of feedback to confirm that the ride is improved, even with larger drops to ride height. Therefore if you were to have them installed correctly and set to a stock ride height, there should be no issues at all.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #324
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
And...just like that my plans got put on the shelf pending further diligence.

Honestly, I’m really not too hung up on the install cost as long as it’s done correctly. My biggest concerns are (1) doing this and finding minimal improvement in ride quality and thus feeling like it was a waste of time and money (again, improving ride quality is the only goal as I’m keeping ride height at stock); and/or (2) having the car settle over time lower than stock height; and/or (3) experiencing the banging, clinking, or bottoming our that others are reporting, whether it be due to installer error, lowering too much, or otherwise.
The improvement in ride quality is very significant, especially if you want to leave at stock height. It will settle a tiny bit but it won’t change the visual appearance much. There are also plenty of noises coming from the stock suspension on bad roads. I wouldn’t say that my MSS springs are any louder than the stock springs. Regarding costs, this is solely your personal decision. I would let you test drive my car, but I have done so much to it (springs, wheels, tires) - i fear it won’t help you to make an educated decision.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #325
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Aren't the banging and other noises as a result of the instal not being done correctly with rear bump stops moved to the front? If that's the case, then there's nothing wrong with the kit. There's been plenty of feedback to confirm that the ride is improved, even with larger drops to ride height. Therefore if you were to have them installed correctly and set to a stock ride height, there should be no issues at all.
The noises continued after moving the rear OEM bump stop to the front
Well, that's not good. Hmmmm

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #326
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Noises are very likely installation error. If they forgot to move the bump stops, what else did they overlook? Clearly the instructions were not followed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #327
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
I want to provide my experience and caution the members of this forum that it isn't always smooth sailing with the MSS springs. I picked a very well regarded and experienced installer, with highly favorable reviews that was recommended within this forum. I asked for a 1/4" drop to try and maximize comfort due to the poor ride quality. When I picked up the car, the drop was closer to 1 and 1/4 inch. There was minimal improvement to ride comfort, but new banging and clinking sounds from the front struts that was especially bad when turning the car. Folks on the forum were so helpful in pointing out an installation error that I took back in to have corrected. Once corrected, the ride was height raised, yet the springs are still making noise on the test drive. I'm currently going back to the stock set-up to ensure the long term viability of the car.
As someone who just had the MSS springs installed myself, I can recommend a few things:

1. Make 100% certain that the MSS instructions were followed. I not only E-mailed MSS directly with pre-install questions, but also got a PDF of their latest "installer instructions" for the X3M from their support people. I also E-mailed Ben @ RGSport with several questions, and he was very responsive.

2. For near stock ride height, ensure that your "adjuster gap" (the inside edge to inside edge gap between the top and bottom of the adjuster) is set to about 35mm rear and 29mm front. That is the best setting to get you closest to stock ride height and stock rake. I think it ended up dropping the car about 1/4" to 1/2" maybe. Any higher on the adjuster and you are running short on "threads" in my opinion. Also, before you leave the installer shop, do a test drive to let things "settle", then measure from the center of the wheel to top of the wheel well to ensure the drop is what you are expecting.

3. Regarding "noises" - the only noise I ever hear is if I hit a HARD bump at moderate to high speeds, such as train tracks, speed bump, etc. I will hit the bump stop in the front (at least, it SOUNDS like it is coming from the front) in those cases. I am not sure if it did this with the stock springs, but I suspect it did.

Overall, the MSS springs are not revolutionary with regards to ride (I have tried both Comfort and Sport) -- they DO make it much more tolerable though. The way I like to think about it is, which the stock springs I was constantly distracted when I was driving by the suspension. With the MSS, I am no longer bothered to the point of paying attention to the ride - which allows me to enjoy the car much more.
Appreciate 4
r33_RGSport12801.50
Max Well4690.50
dazzapb1045.50
      08-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #328
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quote:
matt9999 who did your install?
Belmore Motor Works, near Ashfield. I'm pretty confident that they didn't read the instructions - and the supplier whom tried to talk them through the actual install has been very critical of them, and is certain himself they didn't read the instructions. But,
- the car drives well, even despite being very low and by observation of the adjusters at the lowest height setting, it is an improvement;
- the car looks a lot better sitting that much lower;
- the car does not make any noise, there are no squeaks / rattles, or anything to raise any fears;
- they didn't swap the bumpstops, but that hasn't caused any issues as yet, and from my recently acquired knowledge of bumpstops is not a life or death issue / can't affect how the springs will perform;
- actually looking at the springs they look right as compared to the photos / YouTube videos; and
- they have been really good with their time to discuss / allay any fears about the install subsequent. Their strong recommendation has been to roll on the existing set-up for two to four weeks, and then return the car for final adjustments.

I can only conclude that they were savvy enough to work out how to do a near enough to correct installation on their own. The install price was also reasonable (AU$924), but as noted in other posts, this is a minor concern relative to getting a correct job.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #329
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Is this normal for the rear bottom spring under the adjuster to be this compressed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      08-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #330
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSurge View Post
Is this normal for the rear bottom spring under the adjuster to be this compressed?
Yes, it's a helper spring so it's only there to keep tension on the main spring when fully extended.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50