BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Any difference in ride quality between X3M and X3M Comp?

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference in ride quality between the X3M and X3M Comp (assuming they are both on 21's)? Also, is there a noticeable difference in ride between the 21's and 20's? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference in ride quality between the X3M and X3M Comp (assuming they are both on 21's)? Also, is there a noticeable difference in ride between the 21's and 20's? Thanks in advance.
Based on my limited experience, very little difference when stock.

I test drove a Comp but ended up with a non-Comp (both with 21s, although I did test drive one with 20s also). Biggest improvements in ride quality will be had from tires (and proper PSI settings on those tires!) and properly installed and adjusted MSS springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I'm seeing a lot of people report that the Pilot Sport 4S ride a lot better than the Continentals. Unfortunately most come with the Conti's.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of people report that the Pilot Sport 4S ride a lot better than the Continentals. Unfortunately most come with the Conti's.
I have Comp with 21s and started with Conti then moved to PS4S. There is a small comfort improvement that you can notice if you are in tune with this sort of thing but I wouldn't say it's a big difference. I run pressures a couple PSI less than the >100 mph recommendations.

As far as base vs comp suspension, I test drove a base with 21s and I don't think I could tell a difference but I wasn't chucking it around either. Comfort seemed similar. Supposedly it's just sway bar diameter increase in comp which to me changes the cornering and side to side bump sway comfort (or lack thereof).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think the difference would be felt on rough and choppy roads where the car gets skittish. Necessarily the Comp would have to have more aggressive tuning and that's where you'd notice it most.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
Based on my limited experience, very little difference when stock.

I test drove a Comp but ended up with a non-Comp (both with 21s, although I did test drive one with 20s also). Biggest improvements in ride quality will be had from tires (and proper PSI settings on those tires!) and properly installed and adjusted MSS springs.
Did you notice any difference in the ride between the 20's and the 21's? Did that additional inch of rubber on the 20's improve the ride noticeably?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Did you notice any difference in the ride between the 20's and the 21's? Did that additional inch of rubber on the 20's improve the ride noticeably?
No, the 20s made very little difference. Honestly the best "bang for your buck" is just to lower the tire PSI a bit. I run 32 front, 35 rear. Made a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
No, the 20s made very little difference. Honestly the best "bang for your buck" is just to lower the tire PSI a bit. I run 32 front, 35 rear. Made a big difference.
Got it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
There's a difference for sure. Depends how much you care tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
There's a difference for sure. Depends how much you care tho.
I do care, that's why I'm asking the question. Can you elaborate please? Have you had both 20's and 21's on your X3M? If so, what are your thoughts on the difference in ride quality?

Are there any other folks here that have the 21's and maybe a second set of winter wheels with 20's on them that can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I can't speak with any experience with the X3M other than the fact my dealer gave me the following vehicle for a loaner while my X7 is being serviced. https://www.bmwnorthwest.com/new/BMW...966a44f4ed.htm.

Coming from my X7 to the X3M is like comparing apples with mushrooms. The X3M pretty much beat me to death driving the 105 mile trip from the dealer to home. Seattle streets made the ride almost unbearable. Even on I5 it rode like a go cart on everything but smooth asphalt. Concrete pavement was brutal as well.

I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the suspension and the tires. Plus, it's really not a fair comparison against an X7 which is way bigger and has air suspension. If you want a smooth luxurious ride and don't have the funds for an X7 don't bother test driving an X7 as it will be difficult to even consider an X3M after driving an X7.

All that being said, if you want brute force in the power department no need to look further than the X3M. This baby hauls ASS! Instant and relentless power and punch. It was very deceiving driving the X3M. You think the thing is gutless in leisurely driving until you hit the gas pedal. Even from 80 MPH. It's a whole different driving experience compared to the X7.

Since I do many road trips per year there is no way I could handle driving the X3M on an extended trip. It's just not that type of vehicle in my opinion. My 2006 Toyota Tundra 4WD rides better than the X3M. But for short trips and outright screaming fun on the fast track the X3M would be great.

I was actually considering getting a X3 for my wife but now that I've driven one there's no way either one of us could handle the rough ride on anything but short trips.

Just my 2 pennies worth with my limited experience driving the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I do care, that's why I'm asking the question. Can you elaborate please? Have you had both 20's and 21's on your X3M? If so, what are your thoughts on the difference in ride quality?

Are there any other folks here that have the 21's and maybe a second set of winter wheels with 20's on them that can chime in?
Not me but I'll chime in anyway I just can't see it being night and day, both are variants of the same model with the same chassis, the standard car has 20" and another 5% on the aspect ratio of the tyre that's not going to give it a luxury ride.

If ride comfort ala the 7 series or X7 is your want then any version of the X3M isn't going to give you that.

For me the X3M doesn't have a harsh ride (it's just very stiff as a car all round) mine never bangs or crashes but what it does have is a low speed ride sub 30mph that is a bit comical especially over lumps and humps as it jiggles you about in the seat, I ran my G11 740 along side the X3M for the 1st 3-4 months and whilst the 740 was so much smoother I never walked out of the 7 and said I can't live with the M.

Of course it really doesn't matter what anyone says as you need to go test drive one and make your own mind up as we all have a different POV on these things.
      08-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

More sidewall, tire construction and tire pressure are all things that can create a big difference in ride quality, but on the X3M they seem to be incremental improvements. This is because BMW went just a tad too firm on the actual suspension setup, so there's only so much you can do with that. That's probably why the MSS spring setup improves things so dramatically, because you're replacing suspension components.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

My 7 had less tyre wall running 20" than my X3M on 21" the tyre wall can only do so much and for me the meaty tyre walls (relatively) on the X3M do a good job but they can't overcome the stiffness of the car but that's what makes it fun to drive at higher speeds once it gets up on its toes.
      08-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
ChipC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I think the biggest issue is the X3M is over sprung in the rear. I think that BMW selected a spring rate that would handle a loaded cargo area. If you drive an X7/X5 with rear air suspension, it adjusts the spring rate based on the load. Mitch’s reference to a pickup is spot on. Pickups are notoriously over sprung in the rear so they can handle a heavy load. The X3M feels that same way. It is in the slow stuff (as Wills points out) that it feels jiggly. My Silverado pickup feels the same way. Putting the X3M in Sport Plus gets rid of that out of control feel, but it does change overall vehicle impact. I tend to keep it in Sport Plus because it just feels better to me.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      08-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #16
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipC View Post
I think the biggest issue is the X3M is over sprung in the rear. I think that BMW selected a spring rate that would handle a loaded cargo area. If you drive an X7/X5 with rear air suspension, it adjusts the spring rate based on the load. Mitch’s reference to a pickup is spot on. Pickups are notoriously over sprung in the rear so they can handle a heavy load. The X3M feels that same way. It is in the slow stuff (as Wills points out) that it feels jiggly. My Silverado pickup feels the same way. Putting the X3M in Sport Plus gets rid of that out of control feel, but it does change overall vehicle impact. I tend to keep it in Sport Plus because it just feels better to me.
yes
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I can't speak with any experience with the X3M other than the fact my dealer gave me the following vehicle for a loaner while my X7 is being serviced. (X3 M40i linked)

Coming from my X7 to the X3M is like comparing apples with mushrooms. (and so on...)
Wait did you drive an X3M or an X3 M40i? Massive massive difference between those two.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      08-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #18
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

We can't really have a meaningful or productive conversation when comparing the X3M to any X7 or any X5 beyond the X5M.
Appreciate 2
Transfer5251.00
Max Well4733.00
      08-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #19
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
TX3M - as you've certainly read and shared through your time on the Forums, these questions provide opportunity for great discussion but rarely will be able to solve the most important answer, which is how you feel the rides are and which best fits your needs. We even have threads on which 21" tire is the best ride, Conti or Mich, so I suspect you are trying to get some ideas but surely will test for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I can't speak with any experience with the X3M other than the fact my dealer gave me the following vehicle for a loaner while my X7 is being serviced. https://www.bmwnorthwest.com/new/BMW...966a44f4ed.htm.

Coming from my X7 to the X3M is like comparing apples with mushrooms. The X3M pretty much beat me to death driving the 105 mile trip from the dealer to home. Seattle streets made the ride almost unbearable. Even on I5 it rode like a go cart on everything but smooth asphalt. Concrete pavement was brutal as well.

I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the suspension and the tires. Plus, it's really not a fair comparison against an X7 which is way bigger and has air suspension. If you want a smooth luxurious ride and don't have the funds for an X7 don't bother test driving an X7 as it will be difficult to even consider an X3M after driving an X7.

All that being said, if you want brute force in the power department no need to look further than the X3M. This baby hauls ASS! Instant and relentless power and punch. It was very deceiving driving the X3M. You think the thing is gutless in leisurely driving until you hit the gas pedal. Even from 80 MPH. It's a whole different driving experience compared to the X7.

Since I do many road trips per year there is no way I could handle driving the X3M on an extended trip. It's just not that type of vehicle in my opinion. My 2006 Toyota Tundra 4WD rides better than the X3M. But for short trips and outright screaming fun on the fast track the X3M would be great.

I was actually considering getting a X3 for my wife but now that I've driven one there's no way either one of us could handle the rough ride on anything but short trips.

And apologies to OP, and to our F97/98 Forum for quoting mitch57 in its entirety, but I had to smile reading it as my opinion is 180 degrees different.

When I took my X3MC in for the CFRP diffuser install, I also needed an oil change and a minor software update, so they gave me the X7 40i as a Loaner. I had it for the day. A nicely appointed vehicle with lots of room and surely can get me from Point A to Point B, but I couldn't wait to get my X3MC back. I felt I was floating, and turns were ...

My point is, both are great vehicles, but they fit us differently. There isn't a 'good one' or a 'bad one', just different ones. And fortunately all of us are different, which is probably why BMW and other Mnfrs have to make so many different models to capture our attention and payments.

We left for a short 325 mile trip today, and I relish every chance I get to take trips now, something I honestly never did before. This X3MC, at least for us, has made the driving experience fun again.

I'll try to download a few images from today's trip and post to the random photos thread when I get a chance.

Apologies again, @TX3M, for going tangential on your question, but I felt the need to respond to his as it was literally the exact opposite impression for us.

Let us know what you think after you have a chance to try both out.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
Transfer5251.00
      08-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep

I'm heading out on a 700 mile round-trip long weekend getaway on Friday and super looking forward to it with no concerns over comfort. My passenger has never been in my car and drives a new Ford Ranger so will be interesting to get his perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #21
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I'm heading out on a 700 mile round-trip long weekend getaway on Friday and super looking forward to it with no concerns over comfort. My passenger has never been in my car and drives a new Ford Ranger so will be interesting to get his perspective.
Yeah I drove to myrtle beach last weekend, about 500mi rt. No comfort issues at all (noncomp). Car wanted to cruise at 90+. Only time I've noticed anything is slower speeds with bigger road issues, you do get jostled a bit. That seems to be on both versions.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      08-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Wait did you drive an X3M or an X3 M40i? Massive massive difference between those two.
My Bad. X3 M40i.
Appreciate 0