BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Thoughts on mods for a first time lessee

I’m finally picking up my special order car on Monday after a ridiculous wait. I was wondering if you might have thoughts on changing the vehicle for a first time lessee? Specifically, when does it make sense to forgo a desired mod, and when should you indulge? Here is the way I’ve been leaning (but I’m interested in input):

Do:
  1. Gloss black grilles, mirror caps
  2. WeatherTech liners all around
  3. Bimmercode/Esys/codemybimmer.ca
  4. Replace RFTs (reinstall at end of lease)
Maybe:
  1. Wireless charger retrofit
Don't:
  1. Downpipe
  2. Tune
  3. Set of winter wheels/tires
The trim pieces and liners are easy to swap out and back when I return. Bimmercode is non-invasive. I have the spare tire, so I’m thinking I’ll get a nicer ride out of non-RFTs. But the expense of a set of wheels for winter make me reluctant to go with something other than all seasons, even though I’d love the pilot sport 4s’s for summer paired with the winter set. I live in Seattle where snow is infrequent, and we do have a car with snows for skiing.

The wireless charger retrofit seems easy and reversible, but I’m not sure I want to undo it and the dealer might balk on return. The downpipe and tune just feel to extreme and likely to irritate the dealer.
What do you folks think?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
BMWEAK
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

If you have a desire to mod, why not purchase?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

Just look at the for sale threads on any of the popular series cars like the 3-series, and you'll see that plenty of folks mod with tunes and downpipes, and then put them back to stock and then turn in their leases when their time is up.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
BMWEAK
Rep

Interesting!
Appreciate 1
andysj107.50
      01-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEAK View Post
If you have a desire to mod, why not purchase?
Honest answer? I'm getting on in years, and I've decided that it's new awesome cars every three years from now on while I can still drive. And the pace of change in cars, IMO, is accelerating and I feel like in 3 years the landscape will have changed. Actually, the pace of change in everything is accelerating.
Appreciate 1
RedJon115.50
      01-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLotus View Post
Just look at the for sale threads on any of the popular series cars like the 3-series, and you'll see that plenty of folks mod with tunes and downpipes, and then put them back to stock and then turn in their leases when their time is up.
Of course you're right. Both those mods are reversible. Having installed a header on my last car, it was a bunch of work and I just don't want take it on, when I really think about it. Not with the prospect of having to undo it later.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #7
BMWEAK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
Honest answer? I'm getting on in years, and I've decided that it's new awesome cars every three years from now on while I can still drive. And the pace of change in cars, IMO, is accelerating and I feel like in 3 years the landscape will have changed. Actually, the pace of change in everything is accelerating.
Makes sense! If you’re willing to store the original parts and put in the elbow grease to reverse the changes (or pay someone to do it), have at it!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:43 AM   #8
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
^ - i have just come to this very conclusion too!

I am just going to try and minimise mods - do what i really want and keep away from the big ticket items
Appreciate 0