BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #1629
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M40i View Post
Cheers. I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report back.
I'll simulate adding the convenience package (9A2) to the car tomorrow to see what coding changes it causes. I'll report back.
Appreciate 2
Alias1431795.00
JB M40i24.00
      08-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #1630
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
Im glad You noticed the speed boost using enet. Crazy fast loading ecu and coding them.

Re other poster.... I didn’t have any connection issues.
Worked first go.

Did you test out your lightning to Ethernet dongle to ensure it worked before trying enet?
I assume you are referring to the adapter. If so, no.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #1631
CarGeek101
Rep

Seat belt & chimes?

Relatively new to bimmercode but not coding - quick questions:

1. used bimmercode to make seat belt warnings "not active" - got the successfully coded message - but still have sound and instrument panel seat belt warnings - any thoughts?

2. some people have the check box option for 3 entry chimes and seat belt tensioner - i dont see those on bimmercode - are they not available im bimmercode or am i looking in the wrong place?

thx for any input (was able to code some other things so not like nothing worked)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #1632
gugin
United_States
Rep

All:

Using E-Sys, I have extracted all codeable items and corresponding comments for the NBT Evo head unit. The file is attached in case you find it helpful ("N/A" indicates that the item had no comment). You will notice that some (perhaps most) of the comments are in German. Can anyone give me any tips how to feed it through Google Translate and capture the English translation? I have some programming skills but am not a programmer. For now, I've just been pasting the German text, several lines at a time, to Google and looking at the results. Obviously, not an ideal process. I am in the process of capturing the codeable items and comments for the other ECUs in my car. DKOMBI is probably next.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HU_NBT_Evo.zip (88.5 KB, 1264 views)
Appreciate 4
      08-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #1633
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_intrinsic View Post
Since my car did not have wireless charging, which includes Enhanced Bluetooth and the ability to show SMS texts, I was able to get Office coded on Expert Mode through Bimmercode on my iPhone. Took a few tries and searching the other BMW forums but was able to get it done. Thanks to @pej7445 for some help too!

Here's what I did...

HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > OFFICE_MENUS_ACTIVE = aktiv (this was the main step I missed and did not allow the office option to show in iDrive)
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > EMAIL_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > SMS_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CONTACTS_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CALENDAR_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > REMINDER_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > TASK_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > MACRO_PIM = aktiv
I can confirm this worked using Expert mode on Bimmercode. I'm getting text messages via iDrive. Only problem is there is no audible alert either from my phone or the car itself. If I happen to look at the top right corner of iDrive and see the tiny message notification bubble, it's handy though. Does anyone know if any of the above settings relate to an audible alert for SMS/texts or if there is such a setting?

For folks who had Enhanced BT from the factory, what is the behavior like? Audible notification or no?

Last edited by papajohn; 08-05-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      08-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #1634
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Did you try this?
  • ASD_Configuration: nicht_aktiv
  • ASD_Sound_off: aktiv
  • ASD_Sound_1/2/3: aktiv
  • ASD_sound_4: nicht_aktv
I see no comparable settings visible with Bimmercode in expert mode. Would love to see the ASD as a selectable option in iDrive, but disabling through the app is still nice. I might have to dust off my ESys again.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #1635
newxbimmer1
Rep
Drives: x4 2019

Is there anyone able to figure out how to turn on rear light for DRL and turn on carpet light when reversing yet ? Those are my 2 biggest wishes. May have to consider hardwire if coding not possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #1636
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > WLAN_STATUS
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > WLAN_WIFI_DIRECT
ENT_MIRACAST
ENT_MIRACAST_DISPLAY_SETTINGS
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO

Switch all of these to active.

Let me know if it works. I had to pluck my highlighted changes from my master sheet that also includes EBT.
I can confirm this coding for Screen Mirroring works in Expert mode on Bimmercode (with some sad, sad caveats below!) Lo and behold Google Maps and/or Waze on the iDrive screen at last!!! Note that I do NOT have the built in wifi + wireless charging factory option, so was a little surprised there is in fact a wifi antenna in there somewhere to connect to.

The screen mirroring option came up in iDrive. It gave me the option to add a device. It did NOT recognize my Pixel as a Screen Mirroring device. I was however able to get my Lenovo tablet to connect and mirror. I've previously researched this and believe (my theory only) that Miracast is the mirroring technology that BMW has tucked away in their code. The newer versions of Android dropped Miracast support in favor of their own Chromecast technology.

The Pixel is running Android 9 which did not ever connect successfully. The Lenovo tablet is running Android 7.1.1. Anyone with a newer phone is probably out of luck. Also noteworthy: I could never get audio to pass through with the screencast. No audio came out of the tablet or the car. So even with the proper Android version, it's basically a useless feature, unless someone knows of a setting which allows the audio...
Appreciate 1
_ink619.00
      08-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #1637
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
Has anyone found a way to code the exhaust valves to stay open?
This has been discussed in a separate thread. No known coding solution at this point. The only solutions involve disabling the electronic exhaust valve, either by pulling out a fuse or by unplugging the wire from the valve. There is also BimmerLink, but that is not a permanent solution.
Is coding only for the m40i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #1638
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > WLAN_STATUS
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > WLAN_WIFI_DIRECT
ENT_MIRACAST
ENT_MIRACAST_DISPLAY_SETTINGS
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 >ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO

Switch all of these to active.

Let me know if it works. I had to pluck my highlighted changes from my master sheet that also includes EBT.
I can confirm this coding for Screen Mirroring works in Expert mode on Bimmercode (with some sad, sad caveats below!) Lo and behold Google Maps and/or Waze on the iDrive screen at last!!! Note that I do NOT have the built in wifi + wireless charging factory option, so was a little surprised there is in fact a wifi antenna in there somewhere to connect to.

The screen mirroring option came up in iDrive. It gave me the option to add a device. It did NOT recognize my Pixel as a Screen Mirroring device. I was however able to get my Lenovo tablet to connect and mirror. I've previously researched this and believe (my theory only) that Miracast is the mirroring technology that BMW has tucked away in their code. The newer versions of Android dropped Miracast support in favor of their own Chromecast technology.

The Pixel is running Android 9 which did not ever connect successfully. The Lenovo tablet is running Android 7.1.1. Anyone with a newer phone is probably out of luck. Also noteworthy: I could never get audio to pass through with the screencast. No audio came out of the tablet or the car. So even with the proper Android version, it's basically a useless feature, unless someone knows of a setting which allows the audio...
Great info here, and I presumed as much as I also use a pixel. Makes total sense with the Miracast technology and why it doesn't work with newer androids. Need to find a way to plug a Chromecast into the USB slot to give us access, as I don't think we'll get Android Auto support even if BMW do release this...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #1639
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see no comparable settings visible with Bimmercode in expert mode. Would love to see the ASD as a selectable option in iDrive, but disabling through the app is still nice. I might have to dust off my ESys again.

I have not tried BimmmerCode expert mode, but the settings to which Almaretto referred are visible in E-Sys. They are under 3009 EFFICIENT_DYNAMICS. There is also an "ASD" setting under 3004 SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN. The file I attached in post 1632 shows you all the settings visible in E-Sys.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #1640
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is also ENT_MIRACAST_MULTIPLE_STREAMS under 3000 HMI, I wonder if that must be set to aktiv to enable audio. Perhaps the audio is treated as a separate stream from the video. But in any case, given that Android has moved past Miracast, our BMW's built-in Miracast is kind of useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #1641
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Those are HU_NBT2 FDL's, not ASD.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #1642
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
Has anyone found a way to code the exhaust valves to stay open?
Quote:
This has been discussed in a separate thread. No known coding solution at this point. The only solutions involve disabling the electronic exhaust valve, either by pulling out a fuse or by unplugging the wire from the valve. There is also BimmerLink, but that is not a permanent solution.
There is in fact a permanent solution. MHD Flasher has an option to keep exhaust flap open (at least while in sport mode, which mine is coded to default to), adjust burble, and eliminate the cold startup exhaust noise, which I've always found annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love to make godawful noise when I'm driving the thing - it just seems weird to wail so loud for the first 60 seconds after ignition when I'm just sitting in the driveway, foot off the gas. The added HP and torque with a MHD flash doesn't suck either.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #1643
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Those are HU_NBT2 FDL's, not ASD.
Interesting. That's all that I see under the Active Sound Design option in the app. I'm still using my old adapter, so will double check when the MX+ arrives tomorrow. Maybe it's not showing me the proper FDL's.

Much harder to see all the available FDL's at a glance in the app than on Esys.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #1644
gugin
United_States
Rep

As Almaretto said, you are looking at the wrong ECU. The ECU you want to be looking at is not the ASD module. You should be looking at the head unit (HU NBT Evo or HU_NBT2, not sure what it is called in BimmerCode).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1645
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I'll simulate adding the convenience package (9A2) to the car tomorrow to see what coding changes it causes. I'll report back.
How is 9A2 different from ZCV (what my car lists as "convenience Package")
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #1646
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
How is 9A2 different from ZCV (what my car lists as "convenience Package")
I don't really know. Somebody suggested earlier on this thread that the Convenience Package is needed to enable the walk away lock. The bold line below is the only Convenience Package that E-Sys allows me to add to my M40i:

Package_Car = 976 LA COMFORT PACKAGE [1408]
Package_Car = 977 LIGNE EXCLUSIVE [1786]
Package_Car = 9A2 CONVENIENCE PACKAGE [1741]
Package_Car = 9A3 TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE 2 [1738]
Package_Car = 9A4 LUXURY PACKAGE [1742]
Package_Car = 9A6 INNOVATION PACKAGE B4 R3 [3217]
Package_Car = 9A7 COMFORT PACKAGE B4 R3 [3218]
Package_Car = 9B8 COMFORT PACKAGE [2119]
Package_Car = 9B9 EXECUTIVE PACKAGE [2120]

I added that package and traced what it does to the codings in the body domain controller, head unit, and instrument cluster. To my surprise, it did not change anything. One possibility is that it changes codings in some other ECUs. Another is that the Convenience Package for the X3 is cosmetic in nature and does not involve any additional electronic functionality. Yet another is that the Convenience Package is superseded by the Comfort Access System (code 322), which my car already has. Not sure where this leaves us with the walk away lock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #1647
Rush914
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Can someone recommend a cable to code with Esys?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #1648
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush914 View Post
this one worked for me. I bought it in Feb '18 though and noticed a few negative reviews since then.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #1649
gugin
United_States
Rep

I first bought this ENET cable from Amazon. I used my multimeter to test it before using. The built-in resistor inside the cable connector, which is supposed to be 511 ohms, was about twice that value. I returned it (you can see my review on Amazon).

I then got "BMW OBD2 ENET Cable BOOTMOD3 F-Series Coding i3 i8 ESYS 3.32.1 OBD-II G30 G12" from eBay, sold by "diagnostic_interfaces" (I am not able to find the correct eBay page right now; perhaps contacting diagnostic_interfaces will reveal what that cable is called now). That cable was a keeper. The resistor was 515 ohms and the soldering looked like it was done by a pro. I have used it since January without fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #1650
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush914 View Post
They are pretty easy to make especially if you already have an old OBD2 connector and then just cut an old ethernet cable for the other end (then no need for the crimper). Resistors can be connected in series if you have any laying around. Made mine from stuff I already had, cost me nothing and works just fine. Just wish i made the cable long enough so It could reach my computer on the kitchen island while the car was in the driveway!

BIG thanks to those that posted those instructions!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf OBD-ENET Cable Build - Detailed Instructions.pdf (937.9 KB, 172 views)
Appreciate 0