BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #1607
madugo
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It tells you in post #16 in that thread how to do it, just use expert mode in Bimmercode and follow his instructions.
Got it to work! thanks a lot!!
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      07-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #1608
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

[QUOTE=BobsM3Coupe;25083834]What is needed to update the OBDLink MX+?[/QUOTE
I think I just tried to use it and an update firmware message appeared. ANDROID.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #1609
Campro435
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Has anyone noticed that after the Bimmercode update, there are fewer basic coding options? I went in today to set my start mode to Sport Individual and couldn't find that option anymore. I know it was there before because I had played with it changing it to Adaptive and then back to Comfort.

Can anyone else confirm that this is the case or do I need a different adapter than my OBDLink LX?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #1610
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro435 View Post
Has anyone noticed that after the Bimmercode update, there are fewer basic coding options? I went in today to set my start mode to Sport Individual and couldn't find that option anymore. I know it was there before because I had played with it changing it to Adaptive and then back to Comfort.

Can anyone else confirm that this is the case or do I need a different adapter than my OBDLink LX?
I could have sworn that option was only available when using the MX+ variant. I could be thinking of another setting though.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #1611
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Quote:
It is in idrive settings, in the HUD settings specifically.
I already looked and it's not there. Your X3 may have that option in the HUD settings, but my US version does not.
I have a US model and works as described above.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #1612
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
You are not using the correct adapter. The Veepak adapter is not the same thing as the UniCarScan or OBDLink adapters. This page discusses the various adapters and shows you which ones can fully code the 2019 M40i: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

If you are using an iOS device, get an ENET cable and a lightning ethernet adapter. Users here reported that coding is much faster using ENET than Bluetooth dongles. You can code anything you want with an ENET cable.
I was going to purchase the OBDlink MX + but seeing this I went with the ENET cable and lighting ethernet adapter. All I get is the following: "CONNECTION ERROR" The connection has been terminated. What am I doing wrong? I tried it with airplane mode on and off and bluetooth on and off. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #1613
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Thanks for the effort and the post, shame it wasn't a simple coding thing. Given we have comfort access, there must already be a proximity sensor, but if it's constantly scanning for a key, that must have impacts on the battery?
But how does it differ then you reach the handle it unlock the car?

I really wish it can be done, right now one of the issue I face is if I want to put something in the boot first, and my kids want to get into the car, I need to walk to the side of the car first, so they can open the door, then I go open the boot.

Would be nice if the car will unlock when I walk close to it.
      07-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #1614
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post

I really wish it can be done, right now one of the issue I face is if I want to put something in the boot first, and my kids want to get into the car, I need to walk to the side of the car first, so they can open the door, then I go open the boot.

TOTALLY AGREE!
and what a tease to code the option and not be able to choose it!

Last edited by kevinkay; 08-06-2019 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #1615
Campro435
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro435 View Post

Went back again and found it. Worked great!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #1616
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Thanks for the effort and the post, shame it wasn't a simple coding thing. Given we have comfort access, there must already be a proximity sensor, but if it's constantly scanning for a key, that must have impacts on the battery?

touching the handle is physical, like pressing a button.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:00 PM   #1617
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
Hi all,

New to BMW and new to coding.
Wanted to start a G01 specific thread for bimmercode tool.

At present the coding options are limited for G01, so want an area we can discuss new findings, features and experiences.

Yesterday using the bimmercode app/tool.... I removed the disclaimer prompt.... seems to have worked.
Also removed VIM limitations and added video codecs, etc..... though I've been unable to test it.

Question 1 :
As part of steps, I had to push iDrive selector forward, afterwhich it told me to enable a setting in iDrive. I could not find this new setting, nor can I remember what the setting should be called now.

TIP : Take screenshots of app with ecu settings and instructions given before, during and after coding so you can review.

Question 2 :
I've seen a lot of discussions about AC settings returning to default (with ac on) after starting car.
My car does not do this, so I'm guessing I don't need to code the AC memory features?

Question 3 :
Is there a G01 specific ecu list which explains in detail the functionality?
Bimmercode is light on details about exactly what the available ecu options do
Sorry but what does coding do .. can you increase horsepower etc like tuning on those cars like Subaru stop etc does it void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:27 PM   #1618
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I was going to purchase the OBDlink MX + but seeing this I went with the ENET cable and lighting ethernet adapter. All I get is the following: "CONNECTION ERROR" The connection has been terminated. What am I doing wrong? I tried it with airplane mode on and off and bluetooth on and off. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks.
Did you put the car in the diagnostic mode by quickly pressing the start engine button three times without your foot on the brake pedal?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #1619
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did you put the car in the diagnostic mode by quickly pressing the start engine button three times without your foot on the brake pedal?
Yes. After reading some reviews on Amazon regarding the ENET cable I am thinking mine might be defective.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #1620
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes. After reading some reviews on Amazon regarding the ENET cable I am thinking mine might be defective.
So I returned to Amazon the ENET Cable and Lightning ethernet adapter and purchased the OBDLink MX+. Received it in one day. Coding was successful. All is well again!
Appreciate 1
malbec10.00
      08-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #1621
Michael.R
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I guess I'm a bit late for this since you've already returned it and gotten the MX+ dongle, but when I was trying the ENET cable I was having similar problems, but it turns out that I just wasn't waiting long enough. After being connected for some time, it eventually pulls a 169.254.x.x address, which I automatically assumed was one of those bad IP addresses you get when a DHCP server isn't available. In this case, it's a valid IP address. BUT, BimmerCode had changed the default car I was trying to connect to somewhere, but I hadn't noticed it had changed, so mine was failing over and over because I was trying to connect to the wrong car. Once I got that figured out, BC connected to the car via ENET cable with no issues, and OMG is it so much faster. I have both, but I may not use the MX+ dongle again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #1622
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.R View Post
I guess I'm a bit late for this since you've already returned it and gotten the MX+ dongle, but when I was trying the ENET cable I was having similar problems, but it turns out that I just wasn't waiting long enough. After being connected for some time, it eventually pulls a 169.254.x.x address, which I automatically assumed was one of those bad IP addresses you get when a DHCP server isn't available. In this case, it's a valid IP address. BUT, BimmerCode had changed the default car I was trying to connect to somewhere, but I hadn't noticed it had changed, so mine was failing over and over because I was trying to connect to the wrong car. Once I got that figured out, BC connected to the car via ENET cable with no issues, and OMG is it so much faster. I have both, but I may not use the MX+ dongle again.
Good info thanks, I’ve ordered one to try.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #1623
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (MY20 TU)

Quote:
Quote:
Good info thanks, I’ve ordered one to try.
Yep, bought a OBDLink MX+ for BimmerLink and an ENET cable and Lightning to Ethernet Adapter for coding with BimmerCode.

The stuff for BimmerCode was purchased from Amazon and the MX+ from Scantool Direct.

Looking forward to some experimentation when my new wheels arrive??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #1624
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M40i View Post
Quick update on the walk away lock.

I'm close to getting this to work but it might be a hardware issue (e.g our cars don't have the required lock module /sensors). I see the option in iDrive now, but it won't let me check the boxes. Hmm. Would love to get this going, it was a great feature on my Mazda.
Regarding the walk away lock, I think you need to code additional parameters. I did a quick search for all FDLs that contain the string "CKT." Here is what these FDLs look like in my car (without the walk away lock), along with the comments in E-Sys.

HU_BNT2
CKT_DOOR_LOCK_UNLOCK (nicht_aktiv): Kommentar=CKT_Door_Lock_Unlock

BDC_BODY2
CKT_DEFAULT_SECURE (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Default-value for walkaway-locking (securing). 01b: securing while walkaway 00b: no securing while walkaway
CKT_DEFAULT_UNLOCK (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Default-value for CKT-unlock. 01b: approach-unlocking active 00b: approach-unlocking not active
CKT_ENABLE (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Enable CKT for CA2.0-functions.
CKT_FREQ_POLLING (300ms [03]): N/A
CKT_FUNCTIONS (no_function [00]): Kommentar=Enable CA2.0-functions: - pre-authentication - welcome-light - approach-unlock - walkaway-locking
CKT_NUMBER_LIGHT_WAKEUP (initwert [01]): Kommentar=Max. allowed wakeups caused by entering welcome-light-area.
CKT_TIME_AUTH (5sec [05]): N/A
CKT_TIME_LIGHT_POLLING (3days [03]): N/A
CKT_TIME_UNLOCKING_POLLING (5days [05]): N/A
WL_CKT_KONFIG (RLS_abhaengig [00]): Kommentar=Parameter gibt an, ob WL (in Verbindung mit CKT=Comfort Key Tracking/Licht bei Annäherung) in Abhängigkeit vom RLS aktiviert wird und falls nicht - in welchem Modus. 0 = RLS_abhängig: Aktivierung nur bei erkannter Dunkelheit 1 = ohne_RLS_Mode_1 : WL immer aktivieren im "TAG-MODUS" 3 = ohne_RLS_Mode_3_4_5 : WL immer aktivieren im "MODE3, MODE4, MODE5"

You probably also need to also code CKT_DEFAULT_SECURE and CKT_DEFAULT_UNLOCK, both to aktiv.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #1625
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Once I got that figured out, BC connected to the car via ENET cable with no issues, and OMG is it so much faster. I have both, but I may not use the MX+ dongle again.
Im glad You noticed the speed boost using enet. Crazy fast loading ecu and coding them.

Re other poster.... I didn’t have any connection issues.
Worked first go.

Did you test out your lightning to Ethernet dongle to ensure it worked before trying enet?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #1626
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Has anyone found a way to code the exhaust valves to stay open?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #1627
JB M40i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M40i View Post
Quick update on the walk away lock.

I'm close to getting this to work but it might be a hardware issue (e.g our cars don't have the required lock module /sensors). I see the option in iDrive now, but it won't let me check the boxes. Hmm. Would love to get this going, it was a great feature on my Mazda.
Regarding the walk away lock, I think you need to code additional parameters. I did a quick search for all FDLs that contain the string "CKT." Here is what these FDLs look like in my car (without the walk away lock), along with the comments in E-Sys.

HU_BNT2
CKT_DOOR_LOCK_UNLOCK (nicht_aktiv): Kommentar=CKT_Door_Lock_Unlock

BDC_BODY2
CKT_DEFAULT_SECURE (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Default-value for walkaway-locking (securing). 01b: securing while walkaway 00b: no securing while walkaway
CKT_DEFAULT_UNLOCK (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Default-value for CKT-unlock. 01b: approach-unlocking active 00b: approach-unlocking not active
CKT_ENABLE (nicht_aktiv [00]): Kommentar=Enable CKT for CA2.0-functions.
CKT_FREQ_POLLING (300ms [03]): N/A
CKT_FUNCTIONS (no_function [00]): Kommentar=Enable CA2.0-functions: - pre-authentication - welcome-light - approach-unlock - walkaway-locking
CKT_NUMBER_LIGHT_WAKEUP (initwert [01]): Kommentar=Max. allowed wakeups caused by entering welcome-light-area.
CKT_TIME_AUTH (5sec [05]): N/A
CKT_TIME_LIGHT_POLLING (3days [03]): N/A
CKT_TIME_UNLOCKING_POLLING (5days [05]): N/A
WL_CKT_KONFIG (RLS_abhaengig [00]): Kommentar=Parameter gibt an, ob WL (in Verbindung mit CKT=Comfort Key Tracking/Licht bei Annäherung) in Abhängigkeit vom RLS aktiviert wird und falls nicht - in welchem Modus. 0 = RLS_abhängig: Aktivierung nur bei erkannter Dunkelheit 1 = ohne_RLS_Mode_1 : WL immer aktivieren im "TAG-MODUS" 3 = ohne_RLS_Mode_3_4_5 : WL immer aktivieren im "MODE3, MODE4, MODE5"

You probably also need to also code CKT_DEFAULT_SECURE and CKT_DEFAULT_UNLOCK, both to aktiv.
Cheers. I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #1628
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
Has anyone found a way to code the exhaust valves to stay open?
This has been discussed in a separate thread. No known coding solution at this point. The only solutions involve disabling the electronic exhaust valve, either by pulling out a fuse or by unplugging the wire from the valve. There is also BimmerLink, but that is not a permanent solution.
Appreciate 1
cipher5506.00