BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #331
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Excellent! You better put up ropes around the perimeter to keep people away So, are you also going to detail the engine bay?

Not sure about that one. Sounds like effort required.... and I'm already running out as is.... lol

I'm the home stretch. All that is missing is rear bumper, trunk, rear quarter panels, and the odds and ends that surround the doors and a pillar area. I'm thinking I'll either be done today.... or tomm. Will report back
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #332
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Today had the rain gutter replaced, part number 54 10 7 293 442

This is the plastic cross beam in the cabin, under where the moving pano glass meets the stationary pano glass, and resolved the creaks and rattles that were coming from that.

I don’t know if it’s a new part or not actually, but the foreman mentioned that BMW used to advise them to add felt tape to address rattles, but now to just replace that plastic bit as it can warp over time.

I think it’s a $75-80 part, and while BMW Dealer will probably say the sunroof has to come out to install it, it can be done without removing the glass at all.

I only had the car at my mechanics shop for an hour and a half or so, and they replaced that rain gutter as well as a differential drain plug that was faulty (bad washer) and was leaking a bit after i had the fluids all flushed. I’m sure that was the bulk of the time as the exhaust has to drop to get access to it (I’m told).

I also flashed xHP stage 3, so far loving it under easy-drive conditions... about 15 miles left before i can let her loose!
      04-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #333
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wish xHP trans flash would offer some sort of trial. I would love to test out stg 3 before making such a large purchase. Def on my list of things to get!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #334
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

04/19/20 - Part 8 = paint correct / polish ... continued:

-roof, and spoiler
-did the spoiler by hand, and the small areas near glass roof by hand. the rest using the rotary machine. spent 45 mins, another (mostly) easy going day

04/20/20 - Part 9 = paint correct / polish ... the final step

-rear bumper and rear hatch
-did some by hand, and the chunky parts using the rotary. this took 60 mins, most of it was spent going over places I skipped (like under door handles) and other odds and ends

Bonus, updated my iDrive software too
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #335
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
software update? what version did you install? Pic of the version numbers would be appreciated, thank you
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #336
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We're onto the home stretch. Pretty much all thats left is a re wash, and apply Last-Step-Product.

04/21/20 - Part 10 = post paint correct / polish ... the clean up (re wash)

-I was a sloppy and made a mess during the buff phase... that said I had to give the car a quickie foam bath, rinse down, to remove excess wax. It worked out, as I was able to use the dry step to inspect the surface. 60 mins, and not labor intensive.

FOAMY

The Rinse
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #337
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
software update? what version did you install? Pic of the version numbers would be appreciated, thank you

ver:
MX-003.005.004
TX-003.005.008

old one was:
MX-003.004.031
TX-003.004.031
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #338
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
We're onto the home stretch. Pretty much all thats left is a re wash, and apply Last-Step-Product.

-I was a sloppy and made a mess during the buff phase... that said I had to give the car a quickie foam bath, rinse down, to remove excess wax. It worked out, as I was able to use the dry step to inspect the surface. 60 mins, and not labor intensive.
Holy moley, do you get along with your neighbors? ha ha ha If you go through all that work on the exterior, you can't tell me that you don't detail your engine bay...C'mon, let's see it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #339
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 40i

Quote:

FOAMY

The Rinse
What foam cannon do you use? Are you using an electric pressure washer as well?
      04-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #340
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
@evilchargerfan That's some serious foam, how many ounces of product did that take?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #341
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy moley, do you get along with your neighbors? ha ha ha If you go through all that work on the exterior, you can't tell me that you don't detail your engine bay...C'mon, let's see it
90% of the time, I am either not home or inside and silent. that said ... my neighbors dont hate me.... I think

I have yet to touch the engine bay. when we cross that bridge, I'll make ya proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Devtec View Post
What foam cannon do you use? Are you using an electric pressure washer as well?
I am using a gas pressure washer, I pref anything with a honda engine and 3000+ psi. If I could do it all over again, I'd go electric and skip the hassle associated with gas ... and I'd shoot for one that can flow 2.4 GPH

Foam Lance = I use anything that is priced $15 ish. I personally cant tell a diff in foam with cheap brand vs a MTM brand (which I bought, tried out, and returned)

They key to the shaving cream foam is the 1.1mm orifice. That is a MUST have. You can usually find those for $3-$5

link to the foam lance:
(4000+ reviews on amazon, you cant go wrong!)
https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL-...&rps=1&sr=8-15

the orifice I bought no longer exists on amazon, but any other brand will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
@evilchargerfan That's some serious foam, how many ounces of product did that take?
I used a good 4-6 oz, which is overkill. But ... its all good, my soap is so cheap!

At the time, I found the soap for a steal. Possibly a pricing error? I picked up a 5 gal big gigantic jug for less than $22. To put things into perspective, another brand (chemical guys) have 1 gal soaps ranging from $21.99 to $34.99

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #342
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used a good 4-6 oz, which is overkill. But ... its all good, my soap is so cheap!

At the time, I found the soap for a steal. Possibly a pricing error? I picked up a 5 gal big gigantic jug for less than $22. To put things into perspective, another brand (chemical guys) have 1 gal soaps ranging from $21.99 to $34.99

I don't know where you stole that soap @$22 for 5 gal. great deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #343
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know where you stole that soap @$22 for 5 gal. great deal!
walmart, of all places. shout out to google for helping me discover a random place that sells these jugs!

The super duper slow detail is in the home stretch folks. Just a glaze and last step product and we're done!

04/22/20 - Part 12 = Glaze

In the past I've always used Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze, followed up with Chemical Guys JetSeal. This time around, I'm gonna try out some new (to me) stuff:

-Megiuars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze
-Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax

The Glaze took 60 mins to apply. I waited until the next morning to buff off with a fluffy MF towel (that 2nd portion took 45 mins, which tells me I probably used too much glaze for my own good o_0)

04/23/20 - Part 13 = Last Step Product (Wax)

This whole "sio2" and "ceramic" thing is new to me. I've always used traditional wax or sealants in the past. This bottle supposedly is a wax, but has ceramic ish properties. We'll see how it holds up! 60 mins to apply last night. I'll prob buff off later today either on my lunch break, or after my shift. Fridays typically involve drinking beers on the job ... we'll see how many I consume, as that has a direct impact on my production in the garage
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #344
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This whole "sio2" and "ceramic" thing is new to me. I've always used traditional wax or sealants in the past. This bottle supposedly is a wax, but has ceramic ish properties. We'll see how it holds up! 60 mins to apply last night. I'll prob buff off later today either on my lunch break, or after my shift. Fridays typically involve drinking beers on the job ... we'll see how many I consume, as that has a direct impact on my production in the garage
Great job. With all that work you did with the paint correction, I would have applied a pure ceramic coat like Opti-coat, C.Quartz, Ceramic Pro instead of a ceramic wax. Not that there's anything wrong with the ceramic wax, but a pure ceramic coat is very hard, lasts a long time, protects the paint well and sheds dirt easily. I even use it on my rims, and mountain bike to easily shed the dirt.

https://www.exclusivedetail.com/cera...ting-for-cars/
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #345
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Installed aFe magnum intake!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #346
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 40i

Quote:
I am using a gas pressure washer, I pref anything with a honda engine and 3000+ psi. If I could do it all over again, I'd go electric and skip the hassle associated with gas ... and I'd shoot for one that can flow 2.4 GPH
I currently use gas as well, only because that's all I have. I was just wondering if you got that much foam from an electric...I don't know. My detailer uses an electric washer and gets awesome foam.

I think it's time to switch. My gas pressure washer is too heavy duty...too cumbersome to lug around.

Thanks man! You do a great job!
      04-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #347
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

04/24/20 - Part 14 = sat around and drank beer. got nothing done to the car, but man it was a much needed break

Quote:
Great job. With all that work you did with the paint correction, I would have applied a pure ceramic coat like Opti-coat, C.Quartz, Ceramic Pro instead of a ceramic wax. Not that there's anything wrong with the ceramic wax, but a pure ceramic coat is very hard, lasts a long time, protects the paint well and sheds dirt easily. I even use it on my rims, and mountain bike to easily shed the dirt.
Thx for the kind words pungo. For the next car (hopefully an X3M), I plan to do this more proper, IE a 2 stage paint correction where I actually remove all scratches and swirls. Once that is achieved, I would be more inclined to ceramic coat the car.

For now, I'm rolling with my current plan = lazy 1 step paint correct, lazy wax products, and future lazy maint washes. I do love this x3, dont get me wrong .... but with the rise of B58/S58 ... I have this feeling this car wont be a "I'm gonna keep this car forever" kind of car ... know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Devtec View Post
I currently use gas as well, only because that's all I have. I was just wondering if you got that much foam from an electric...I don't know. My detailer uses an electric washer and gets awesome foam.

I think it's time to switch. My gas pressure washer is too heavy duty...too cumbersome to lug around.

Thanks man! You do a great job!
Thanks for the kind words Phil. This is my first gas pressure washer, and I must admit... its a hassle to own. I have to buy gas for it ... when it runs out... I have to re fill the gas tank. When my gas can runs out, I have to drive down the street to buy more gas ... and we wont even get into oil changes, spark plugs, etc.

Can you find out what kind / specs your detailer uses?

From what I've read online, it is def possible to get these results from electric, as long as it has good GPH ratings.... off the top of my head 2.4 GPH is the way to go. For my next one, I def wont be going gas ... I just want to simply plug to a wall outlet and get straight to washing .... much less hassle.

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 04-27-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #348
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

04/25/20 - Part 15 = Buffed off the wax (finally)

Did it quick because it was a 95 degree day for us ... 30 mins ish. Wanted to do more but... the heat was brutal.

(No pics, bcuz heat)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #349
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
04/25/20 - Part 15 = Buffed off the wax (finally)

Did it quick because it was a 95 degree day for us ... 30 mins ish. Wanted to do more but... the heat was brutal.

(No pics, bcuz heat)
Geez, you got 50 degrees on me here in NY, we're freezing.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #350
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Projector puddle lights installed

Found a pair of these hidden in the storage bin in the back. The original owner never installed them, the box was still sealed. Included a few other images, but the X seemed the most appropriate.

Name:  IMG_2937.png
Views: 726
Size:  1.44 MB
Appreciate 2
bpwj7694.00
      04-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #351
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

04/26/20 - Part 16 = cleaned the glass, cleaned door jambs, sprayed a little air freshener inside, I think this is it .... we're done?! (didnt bother with vacuum or cleaning interior, since that was done not too long ago)

The car has sat for almost a month, so I took her for a spin around the block for about 10 mins, and 3 miles. And put it on the battery maintainer overnight

Marty in NY - heres that long overdue engine bay shot. nothing special, its pretty dirty ... lol

Quote:
Geez, you got 50 degrees on me here in NY, we're freezing.
I'll take 50, at least I can throw on a sweater and just work up a sweat in the garage. when its 90+ , productivity just tanks in the garage and motivation goes out the window, lol. Times like these made me with I had extra funds laying around for a sweet garage AC setup

Quote:
Found a pair of these hidden in the storage bin in the back. The original owner never installed them, the box was still sealed. Included a few other images, but the X seemed the most appropriate.

Attachment 2296553
that is pretty neat. not only do they look cool, they seem to light up the ground pretty well too
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #352
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
04/26/20 - Part 16 = cleaned the glass, cleaned door jambs, sprayed a little air freshener inside, I think this is it .... we're done?! (didnt bother with vacuum or cleaning interior, since that was done not too long ago)

The car has sat for almost a month, so I took her for a spin around the block for about 10 mins, and 3 miles. And put it on the battery maintainer overnight

Marty in NY - heres that long overdue engine bay shot. nothing special, its pretty dirty ... lol

I'll take 50, at least I can throw on a sweater and just work up a sweat in the garage. when its 90+ , productivity just tanks in the garage and motivation goes out the window, lol. Times like these made me with I had extra funds laying around for a sweet garage AC setup
evilchargerfan, what I meant was that we had 45 degrees when you had 95...and by the way, at least you don't have high humidity to go along with your 95. Even 75 here on a humid day is down right horrible, its a sweaty sticky mess.

I bet it felt good to take it out for a spin around the block, for some reason when mine is clean, I feel better behind the wheel of it.

Ok, now, let's get to your engine bay. Remove all the covers you can and your cold air intake and lets get that engine to match the rest of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1