BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #23
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeX3owner View Post
Thanks for your perspective and thank you...LOVE the X3. I think I'm going to definitely get the PPF...I'm a bit OCD and would hate to see tiny knicks in the front as I do drive on the freeway quite often. I will probably do a couple coats of ceramic as well...since I hate what bird droppings have done to my cars in the past. Luckily, I have a white care, so it will show imperfections less than a darker car.
Bird droppings still stick to ceramic, FYI.
      05-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #24
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
For me, I ceramic and PPF **my** car because I care and because I'm loose with my money and my morals.
Appreciate 2
methodtim374.00
Swappy531.50
      05-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #25
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
There are many threads on this, you should do a search.

Having done a ceramic coating on my last vehicle (2019 X3 M40i), I decided not to do it on my current vehicle. I'm not against coatings and PPF, there are many benefits which the other contributors to this thread have mentioned. However, there are some downsides too. So, to provide the other side of the argument here are some reasons not to do it:

1. They are very expensive
2. You should only wash a ceramic coated car by hand using proper wash techniques and materials. Never take it to an automated car wash. That's a big commitment to make so be prepared.
3. Ceramic coating does not prevent all scratches. You will still get fine scratches even if you only wash by hand and are meticulous about your washing methods as I am. It's really frustrating when you've spent $1000-$2000 on a paint correction and coating only to find out that you're still getting fine scratches on your car.
3. Ceramic coated cars can be more susceptible to water spots if you're not careful
4. Ceramic coating does not last forever and you have to do periodic maintenance to the coating
5. If you have an accident or other incident and your car needs to be painted, those panels will need to have the ceramic coating re-applied to them. Same thing with PPF. My understanding is that cars with PPF can still get dings and dents from rocks and road debris if they hit the car really hard. To repair that, the PPF needs to be removed and then reapplied after the repair work is done.
6. Even if you "plan" to keep the car a long time, you can't know for sure how long you're actually going to keep it. What if you decide you simply don't like the car or you want to buy something else? What if your car gets stolen or totaled in a wreck? If any of those things happen, you will not recoup all of the money you spent on a coating and/or PPF.

This is just my opinion folks, so for those who disagree with me I respect your opinion and don't mean to start a debate. I hope that helps OP and congrats on the new car!
Agree with most of the above, but (1 ) my research says carwash is not a yes/no - touchless is best and brushless okay if necessary, but certainly hand washing preferred (I'd prefer it even without ceramic) and (2) my experience is to the contray on water spots - good ceramic will have water rolling off.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #26
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

These days I just stick with ceramic coating and driving a little further away from the car in front. I've had previous cars covered in PPF and after a while the nicks and chips in the film look just as bad as if they were in the paint, and they can't be touched up.
Appreciate 2
JDsX3505.50
Ezmolaw30.00
      05-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #27
GS - X3
Best of Both Worlds
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3 M40i - ‘19 R1250GSA

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, if you have a touchless option go for it. The gas station next to my house has a touchless option and I use it when the car is grimy and I'm lazy, but touchless doesn't actually get anything clean so oftentimes it's just a waste of 10 bucks.
There is no doubt that there is no substitute for a proper hand wash.
With that said, not washing during the Winter months is not an option to me.
I agree with the statements that touchless car washes are a very poor replacement for a good hand washing, but I have discovered that the key to their effectiveness is frequent washes. You definitely don’t want the grime to build up, or the wash will be totally ineffective. The other bit of advice I would offer is, given the fact that touchless washes are admittedly a stopgap measure, don’t hand dry your vehicle after running it through the wash. There will likely be some dirt residue somewhere, and hand drying will likely lead to some fine scratches in your finish.

In a North Woods Winter, sometimes “good enough” has to be good enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #28
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Had Ceramic Pro Gold and PPF put on my 2021 X3 M40i last October. Had PPF applied to the complete front including full hood and fenders, bottoms of the doors including door handles and the back bumper wrapped. Then went with the Ceramic Pro Gold package for the lifetime warranty. Really happy with it. Washing the car is a breeze and I also have a decent touchless care wash place a few miles away. Love the glass look.

Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019140.00
      05-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #29
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I got PPF on the front and ceramic all over for the first time in my life.

The down side is it is a measurable percentage of the car value.

The upside is it will help a lot if you are OCD.

Next time I will consider getting the entire car wrapped.

Ceramic coating they say you do not need to wax but I recently used CarPro Reload and, WOW, what a difference. It is back to it's slickness from when I got it. Still looked good before but now it looks even better. It takes about 10 min to spray and wipe all the panels and will make the ceramic last longer.

For washing, "no touch" use harsh chemicals so you are advised to stay away.

Washing at home with a two bucket method and power washer or hose (and pre-rinse, foam, rinse, then wash, then rinse). Then use a leaf blower to get off most of the water and gently towel dry.

My paint has held up great but I have very low miles.

Shop around as well - you would be surprised and how much prices vary.

Important thing is to read all the reviews on installers and research potential install issues before so you know what to look for when you pick it up.

Edit: Here's me at the Walmart Parking Lot
Attached Images

Last edited by spta97; 05-05-2021 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 4
      05-05-2021, 11:49 PM   #30
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Getting an entire car PPF’ed by a good installer will run you close to 10k. There is zero way I am spending 1/5th of a car's purchase price on a wrap.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:12 AM   #31
Grand Moff Alpina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I got PPF on the front and ceramic all over for the first time in my life.

The down side is it is a measurable percentage of the car value.

The upside is it will help a lot if you are OCD.

Next time I will consider getting the entire car wrapped.

Ceramic coating they say you do not need to wax but I recently used CarPro Reload and, WOW, what a difference. It is back to it's slickness from when I got it. Still looked good before but now it looks even better. It takes about 10 min to spray and wipe all the panels and will make the ceramic last longer.

For washing, "no touch" use harsh chemicals so you are advised to stay away.

Washing at home with a two bucket method and power washer or hose (and pre-rinse, foam, rinse, then wash, then rinse). Then use a leaf blower to get off most of the water and gently towel dry.

My paint has held up great but I have very low miles.

Shop around as well - you would be surprised and how much prices vary.

Important thing is to read all the reviews on installers and research potential install issues before so you know what to look for when you pick it up.

Edit: Here's me at the Walmart Parking Lot
Looks awesome! And yes, I agree with your review of CarPro Reset. It's like magic in a bottle.
2014 Charger RT 100th Anniversary, High Octane Red - Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #32
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Getting an entire car PPF’ed by a good installer will run you close to 10k. There is zero way I am spending 1/5th of a car's purchase price on a wrap.
I totally agree. But at a more reasonable installer it can be less.

I would not spend 10k but 6k I might.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #33
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Alpina View Post
Looks awesome! And yes, I agree with your review of CarPro Reset. It's like magic in a bottle.
Thanks! I really held off on getting the reload but I’m so glad I did. Magic!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #34
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

LOL....even it were "only' $1,000 I'd keep the money in my pocket. I keep my car so clean that applying a fresh coat of good car wax only takes me about 30 min. and I rationalize that it's good physical exercise. It also gives me a good opportunity to "see" things that I might miss standing feet away. A fresh coat of wax makes the water bead up nicely for a fairly long time (for those that really believe that's a good indicator...I sort of do).
Appreciate 1
TKDbilly8625.50
      05-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #35
TKDbilly
Private (and reserved, existential)
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40i; 2001 Z3

Garage List
2001 Z3  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
LOL....even it were "only' $1,000 I'd keep the money in my pocket. I keep my car so clean that applying a fresh coat of good car wax only takes me about 30 min. and I rationalize that it's good physical exercise. It also gives me a good opportunity to "see" things that I might miss standing feet away. A fresh coat of wax makes the water bead up nicely for a fairly long time (for those that really believe that's a good indicator...I sort of do).
This is my rationale and approach, as well. I am biased however, as I use to restore older sports cars and would enter them in shows so they had to be immaculate. And, I find a detailed hand wash, wax and using a small brush in cracks and crevices is very therapeutic. And, being able to go over inch by inch gives me a chance to check on the 'health' of the outside.

CarPro Reset is GREAT.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
As much as I like the ceramic coat, if you are the type to be ok with waxing your car I think that gives you most of the benefit.

Granted, ceramic is supposed to be harder and longer lasting (giggidy ) but most of the properties are similar to a really good wax.

PPF wrap has other advantages discussed that wax cannot match. Basically you are separating your paint from the elements (except sun) and things that would swirl it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #37
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More like around $5.5k. My brother got his X3 M Competition completely wrapped for that then had it ceramic coated.

I use CarPro Reload on my drying towels after every wash then spray once a month after the X3 is dry, spray on and wipe off with Reload.

Last edited by Mojobaggins; 05-06-2021 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #38
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

CarPro gliss is a great alternative to reload that lasts far longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #39
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojobaggins View Post
More like around $5.5k. My brother got his X3 M Competition completely wrapped for that then had it ceramic coated.

I use CarPro Reload on my drying towels after every wash then spray once a month after the X3 is dry, spray on and wipe off with Reload.
That’s like Walmart prices but ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #40
Grand Moff Alpina
Private First Class
Rep

I would just add in here that even if your car isn't ceramic coated, CarPro Reset (or any other quality *PH balanced* soap) is worth using for all your washes. It's just better for the paint overall.
2014 Charger RT 100th Anniversary, High Octane Red - Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #41
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I trust these guys.

https://uccboston.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #42
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It depends where you live. I have seen quotes from $5k to $7.5k for the full wrap (they usually include ceramic.

Just because something costs more doesn’t mean its better. Look at the Macan
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #43
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestle View Post
CarPro gliss is a great alternative to reload that lasts far longer.
Please elaborate…not familiar with this product.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #44
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Please elaborate…not familiar with this product.
Looked it up. Seems like a "lite" version of their ceramic coating which could be used as a top coat but with a lot more prep and time.

The Reload is literally spray and wipe. If the car is not completely dry it really doesn't seem to make a difference.

I do not doubt it lasts longer but I'm all about minimizing time
Appreciate 0