BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #23
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
We are just trying to save you from buying things twice by buying the right one first.

OP mentioned only needing to carry one bike, otherwise I would have gone with my standard answer. Which depends on how bikes you regularly carry:
1-3 bikes, get 1upUSA.
4+ bikes, get something like AltaRacks or Velocirax.

Main reason is 1upUSA maxes out at 4 bikes while the front tire hanging style can go up to 7. And the front tire hanging style doesn't stick any further out back if you have 1 bike or 7. But it is more expensive and a bit different setup for a bike rack, which would probably be more suited on the back of an X5 or X7 than an X3.
Lol. Thanks for proving me right.
For a 4-bike, I already have the best one, thanks. The other option was the Thule T2 Pro - I wasn't sold on the looks for the 4-bike but it looked well built.

For the 2 bike or single bike like OP wants, I think the 1UP should absolutely be considered along with the others mentioned here.
Appreciate 1
kscarrol8907.50
      04-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #24
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
No offense meant, and I mean this sincerely. The main reason I did not consider the 1UP is because 1UP users tend to be extremely vocal on mountain bike forums and tend to get angry if people consider other brands - and this put me off. For example if I say Kuat and Thule are better, people might turn up at my house :-) Ok that was an exaggeration.
I have no problems with someone wanting to save a few bucks and getting a perfectly functional, cheaper but inferior product. But those who argue that Thule or Kuat are superior if cost is not a factor are a stubborn bunch. Please note, I'm not angry. Just being real and adding a touch of sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #25
hudlander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking...

Is something like this sufficient?

Again its just one bike, got good reviews, I don't see the need for me to spend hundreds more but what do I know?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #26
prototyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudlander View Post

Again its just one bike, got good reviews, I don't see the need for me to spend hundreds more but what do I know?

One thing with top-mount is they can get dodgy with sloping top-tube road bikes (front wheel drops down low) or not work at all on MTB with high-mounted rear shocks... I have both which is partly why I bailed our top-hanger Thule to go for tray style. YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #27
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

Plus most carbon framed road bikes aren't designed to handle a side shock load on the top tube.. you could end up with a very costly repair replacing/repairing a cracked frame.

It's best to support the weight by the wheels (axles), and brace for sway off the frame at the head or seat-post.
Appreciate 1
prototyp228.00
      05-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #28
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:

Sure, that rack will work and so will just about every other rack on the market. You asked us, "car guys" and "bike guys", to recommend a hitch mounted rack. You received a number of recommendations, all of which are very good racks. Like anything else, good racks are more expensive than cheap racks. Obviously, the majority of us probably wouldn't use and will not recommend a cheap rack.

Perhaps you should have titled your thread as, "Where can I find the cheapest bike rack that will work". Respectfully, I think you might be better off doing a google search for "best cheap hitch mounted bike racks" rather than asking here. E-trailer is also an excellent resource for racks. Call them and they will help you find a good, cheap rack that will work for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #29
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I would recommend not getting a hanging rack (top mount) as well but it is your choice.
There are some cheaper platform racks under $200 at etrailer - Look into Swagman, Hollywood Racks for example. Even saw one for $127.
This is one place where I would not necessarily look at amazon, etrailer has good videos and lots of reviews for each product.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #30
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:

I wouldn't do it with a carbon fiber bike, but if you have alloy or steel it's not a terrible option.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #31
hudlander
Private First Class
Rep

My bike is a specialized road (not mountain) lightweight.

1) Does that change anything?
2) What is the main benefit of going with a more pricey one for my bike?
3) What is the best kind I can get value wise which balances performance and price? I don't need top of the line, I don't want to buy more than I need, but I don't want to ruin my bike.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #32
80_Mark
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I would never get something that attaches to the frame. It's rare that it would damage the frame, even on carbon, but it's less secure and bikes aren't all the same shape which changes the capability of the contact points.

Get the cheapest Kuat and keep it for life. https://www.kuat.com/product/transfer-v2/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #33
hudlander
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Mark View Post
I would never get something that attaches to the frame. It's rare that it would damage the frame, even on carbon, but it's less secure and bikes aren't all the same shape which changes the capability of the contact points.

Get the cheapest Kuat and keep it for life. https://www.kuat.com/product/transfer-v2/
Thank you, that link costs $279, which seems fair.
I am new to bike frame attachments, so I don't get the big deal (or even know what the difference is ) between frame and no frame.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #34
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Basically the idea is to avoid a bike rack which directly touches the frame of your bike. Instead, get one that touches the tires. This is less likely to cause any sort of damage to the bike, even if just superficial like rubbing damage.

So like if you look at 1upUSA with the two folding arms that touch the front and rear tires. Or if you look at your Amazon link, where the bike will hang from the top tube, so that becomes the touch point.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #35
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
Basically the idea is to avoid a bike rack which directly touches the frame of your bike. Instead, get one that touches the tires. This is less likely to cause any sort of damage to the bike, even if just superficial like rubbing damage.

So like if you look at 1upUSA with the two folding arms that touch the front and rear tires. Or if you look at your Amazon link, where the bike will hang from the top tube, so that becomes the touch point.
All of the racks that have been recommended are platform racks (as opposed to the "hanging rack" you were considering), and that's for several reasons. In addition to the fact that there is no contact with the bike frame as already mentioned, they are also generally easier to put your bike on and take off. There's no need for straps or bungie cords to keep the handlebars from swaying side to side and the frame/wheels from moving fore to aft. Also, if you have a platform rack for 2 or more bikes, there are separate cradles for each bike which are spaced apart so the bikes won't touch each other.

The downsides of platform racks are that they can be more expensive, heavier, they don't fold up as small as hanging racks do (might take up more room in your garage) and they extend further from the back of the vehicle when in use.

Also, consider getting a 2 bike rack even if you don't need it right now. They're not that much more expensive, and if you ever go riding in the future with a friend or significant other you can offer to drive and put their bike on your rack too.

Last edited by TX3M; 05-07-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
prototyp228.00
      05-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #36
TXBDan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e, Cayman S, E30 racecar

I just put my bike rack on the X3 for the first time. How do you guys deal with the back up sensor proximity alarms?

I have the 1UP newer rack with the smaller base and I was pleased to find I can open the hatch even with the rack full up and stowed. With a a single bike tray on it of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #37
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
I just put my bike rack on the X3 for the first time. How do you guys deal with the back up sensor proximity alarms?

I have the 1UP newer rack with the smaller base and I was pleased to find I can open the hatch even with the rack full up and stowed. With a a single bike tray on it of course.

Try setting trailer mode in iDrive. A full proof method is also plug a little trailer connector test light in the appropriate socket. That disables the rear sensors but not the camera.
Appreciate 1
jacko15208.50
      05-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #38
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
Try setting trailer mode in iDrive. A full proof method is also plug a little trailer connector test light in the appropriate socket. That disables the rear sensors but not the camera.
This.

I have not tried the second option but setting trailer mode is pretty quick to do. Only downside is there are a couple of info messages about disabled rear sensors every time you start up. This option also disables opening hatch from the key fob. Hatch can only be opened from the button on the hatch, which is a good safety feature against accidental opening when bikes are loaded.
Appreciate 1
jacko15208.50
      05-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #39
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
This.

I have not tried the second option but setting trailer mode is pretty quick to do. Only downside is there are a couple of info messages about disabled rear sensors every time you start up. This option also disables opening hatch from the key fob. Hatch can only be opened from the button on the hatch, which is a good safety feature against accidental opening when bikes are loaded.
This all sounds good. Is there anything else setting the trailer mode does? I sometimes take long trips with my bikes, and don't want to create any issues. My Jeep is easy as it has a dash button to disable the rear sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:26 AM   #40
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nope. I set memory item 7 to be trailer mode so I can quickly get to it to turn on or off as appropriate.

Just wish I could get those stupid warning messages to go away for good.
Appreciate 1
jacko15208.50
      05-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #41
TXBDan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e, Cayman S, E30 racecar

Nice, I'll give trailer mode a shot. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #42
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Trailer mode will also disable your lane centring, rear cross traffic monitor, and blind spot monitor if you have adaptive cruise.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #43
hudlander
Private First Class
Rep

This has been really tough

I buy one that’s a frame, it’s good at keeping the bike in place BUT:
1. It fucks up the rear parking sensors
2. It’s too big and bulky, when I take it off it fits horribly in the car/hotel.
3. It gets in the way of the automatic rear door opener.

I buy the Hollywood hanging rack and:
1. Bike is wobbly
2. Fucks up parking sensors
3. Gets in the way of the rear hatch automatic opener

Does anybody have any suggestions for one which will hold the bike steady, not fuck up the parking sensors, and not be a hazard to have the rear hatch bang into it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:24 PM   #44
guiepinto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal_24 View Post
Being a cyclist and structural engineer, I cannot put any other hitch on the X3 m40i than the 1up-USA. Perfect compatibility, minimalistic, well engineered with no plastic, folds well and out of the way quickly. I opted with the single bike option and I’m very happy with it. Actually, the first time I showed up to our cycling group with this setup, so many riders with other hitches came to take information to get the same hitch. I like the heavy duty hitch to allow for heavier bike and off rode driving. Let me know if you need any more information.
Nice setup... When it is folded up, how far is it from the fender?
I have a non-OEM hitch receiver and my fear is that it doesn't stick out far enough...
Appreciate 0