BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #23
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Still at the dealer... Going to still be at least another week, any maybe up to 3.
Had the car for 10 days, dropped it off to them on April 7 and they still have it.

I'm kind of surprised at the way BMW handles backordered parts. From what I understand, any car still under the original warranty that spends more than 28 days in service in an 18 month or 18,000 mile time period is easily classified as a lemon if I decide to go nuclear... Sounds like every backordered part is around a 4 week lead time so they really set themselves up for giving a lot of legal power to the consumer with such a long process.

The dealer said that I could trade it in but that it wouldn't be very cost efficient for me. I asked them to simply refund my money so that I could take my business elsewhere as the shop is incredibly disorganized or dishonest as 4 different people always tell me four very different things and I'm tired of having to decipher their crap. That's when they said they can't do that. Seems like I could easily lawyer up and lemon the car, but I figure I'll give it another chance and if anything goes wrong in the near future I'll return it and order a new one. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks and get a CPO...

It literally is exactly as I would order to have one built. There were no new ones built with everything I wanted at any of the local dealers and the price was quite competitive so I took the plunge thinking it was a frugal move to get the car I wanted as a CPO. I suppose it still is, but I'm not sure it's worth the headache. I'm supposed to be moving to Vegas and am delaying my move for this. They said I can't take the loaner that far because they need to keep the miles low... I kind of chuckled and told them that if they need to not use it as a loaner for a few weeks to make up for all the miles I put on, that's really their problem.

Last edited by xylodan; 05-04-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #24
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i would just lemon the car, at no cost to you.
simple swap of equal value. you may not find exactly what you want but it will be a piece of mind at the end.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i would just lemon the car, at no cost to you.
simple swap of equal value. you may not find exactly what you want but it will be a piece of mind at the end.
The dealer told me I would be taking a financial loss by trading it in. So I've reached out to BMW NA and will hopefully work with them on a solution. I'm through with talking with this dealership who treats me like I'm being unreasonable for being disappointed that my car needed four repairs within the first 2 weeks of ownership and that it will spend at least 6 weeks out of the first 8 weeks at the dealership. I get that it's a CPO, but I said I'm willing to buy a new one but I kind of expect to get a good deal in the process, not be expected to pay extra because they sold me a CPO that happen to need a lot of work. Should not be my problem.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      05-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
lambmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60; F25

Garage List
2016 Bmw X3  [0.00]
2010 Bmw 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swreefkeeper View Post
It happens with all manufactures unfortunately. I just had a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon Edition get lemoned from various issues of steering, transmission, electrical, etc. I'm going back to BMW after going with Jeep. Picking up my X3 M40i from the factory in 2 weeks!
The factory is allowing PCD again? I talked to my dealer here in Hawaii to request PCD at the factory in South Carolina but he claimed they weren't allowing it anymore due to Covid. Are they allowing the full tour and driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #27
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambmw View Post
Quote:
It happens with all manufactures unfortunately. I just had a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon Edition get lemoned from various issues of steering, transmission, electrical, etc. I'm going back to BMW after going with Jeep. Picking up my X3 M40i from the factory in 2 weeks!
The factory is allowing PCD again? I talked to my dealer here in Hawaii to request PCD at the factory in South Carolina but he claimed they weren't allowing it anymore due to Covid. Are they allowing the full tour and driving experience?
Yes PCD is happening again. Full tour and driving experience. I'm sure masks or something will be required but we will see. I will make a post about it when I pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #28
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Exactly what I was told by my CA. Got a similar response from a second dealer. Email to the Performance Center folks and even with that the first dealer was sure it was no longer available.
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/delivery/

Had a grand time in Spartanburg, SC picking my X3 up for a drive across the country.

Now, how you get the car to Hawai'i may be a different story.

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; 05-05-2021 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #29
lambmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60; F25

Garage List
2016 Bmw X3  [0.00]
2010 Bmw 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Quote:
Exactly what I was told by my CA. Got a similar response from a second dealer. Email to the Performance Center folks and even with that the first dealer was sure it was no longer available.
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/delivery/

Had a grand time in Spartanburg, SC picking my X3 up for a drive across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Quote:

I was going to order from a salesman I know in Wisconsin for two reason.
1. 3-4 week lead time instead of 3-4 months to Hawaii.
2. Can still get my road trip in... but without the factory experience. Going to try and request it again now though.

You can ship from Los Angeles to Hawaii for about $1,200 using Young Brothers or Pasha.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #30
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
I was going to order from a salesman I know in Wisconsin for two reason.
1. 3-4 week lead time instead of 3-4 months to Hawaii.
2. Can still get my road trip in... but without the factory experience. Going to try and request it again now though.
Try performancecenterdelivery@bmwmc.com for the email address.

Quote:
You can ship from Los Angeles to Hawaii for about $1,200 using Young Brothers or Pasha.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #31
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
So... I got the vehicle back and did a long drive to Vegas and back and it developed (or maybe already had) the drivetrain vibration referenced in some other threads related to the 2018 X3's...

The dealer is being stubborn about simply refunding me and taking the car back. I've had the car for less than two months, it's been in service for 28 days of my ownership already so far, it's already had three repairs and now it needs a fourth. They are telling me to bring it in for a repair, or to work with the sales team to learn about my options.

I just want to return it and get a refund. Am I being unreasonable?
If I'm forced to trade it in and get a new one (I'm not doing a used car ever again), what should be my expectation for a discount off MSRP?
I just really don't want to deal with negotiations and such. Just quite frustrated and exhausted from this.

Last edited by xylodan; 05-14-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #32
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Go online to Carvana and Vroom and see what they'll pay for it. I recently did it with our X3 and both offers were pretty good. Vroom was $2 grand higher than Carvana. Both offers were significantly higher than they were when I checked in mid-March.
      05-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #33
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Go online to Carvana and Vroom and see what they'll pay for it. I recently did it with our X3 and both offers were pretty good. Vroom was $2 grand higher than Carvana. Both offers were significantly higher than they were when I checked in mid-March.
I've had the car for 50 days. It's a CPO from a dealer. I'm not taking a loss. That's insane. In CA it already qualifies as a lemon with how many days it was inoperable.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #34
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylodan View Post
I just want to return it and get a refund. Am I being unreasonable?
If I'm forced to trade it in and get a new one (I'm not doing a used car ever again), what should be my expectation for a discount off MSRP?
I just really don't want to deal with negotiations and such. Just quite frustrated and exhausted from this.
I don't think you are being unreasonable. First of all, the whole reason to pay more for a CPO rather than a non-CPO is to avoid any undetected issues. Now, I don't know if these things would have been detected, but nevertheless, I would be a bit miffed and the dealer should be all over you trying to make amends. I have a 2018 M40i and I didn't experience really any of the issues that were purported for it. My 2021 M40i however - it died on me almost on a bridge less than 2 weeks off the lot and had to be flatbed towed back to the dealer one Saturday afternoon. I got my car back relatively quickly but I was very upset (even though I know - things happen) and also they didn't do anything to make me feel better, either. The point I'm trying to make is that it's new (to you) and it's natural to feel this way. You should be having a positive experience and also not have to worry whether or not these things are chronic. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #35
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I don't think you are being unreasonable. First of all, the whole reason to pay more for a CPO rather than a non-CPO is to avoid any undetected issues. Now, I don't know if these things would have been detected, but nevertheless, I would be a bit miffed and the dealer should be all over you trying to make amends. I have a 2018 M40i and I didn't experience really any of the issues that were purported for it. My 2021 M40i however - it died on me almost on a bridge less than 2 weeks off the lot and had to be flatbed towed back to the dealer one Saturday afternoon. I got my car back relatively quickly but I was very upset (even though I know - things happen) and also they didn't do anything to make me feel better, either. The point I'm trying to make is that it's new (to you) and it's natural to feel this way. You should be having a positive experience and also not have to worry whether or not these things are chronic. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the affirmation. Part of my lack of success in these situations as that I'm super nice with my tone of voice and never let my internal frustration come out. After all, it's not the person's fault. I do accept it as bad luck. I chatted with BMW NA who will hopefully advocate for me better and reach an amicable solution. I'm exhausted from continually having the ball put in my court by the dealer and me having to find a workable solution. I've said twice, I bring back car, you refund me what I paid. Done. But they keep saying no and that I should let them repair it, or work with the sales team on a new one. But I don't like any of their cars on the lot. Plus their sales guy was really emotional and aggressive when my wife discussed wanting to order one to her exact specifications instead of taking the one on the lot on a new car we purchased 4 days after I bought the CPO. So much so that we needed to leave the building and take a break from the guy... So many missteps along the way.
Appreciate 2
JSY574.50
mathys196.50
      05-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #36
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Sounds like a lot of red flags with this dealership. If there is another one nearby I would suggest bringing your business elsewhere. See if you can facilitate a full refund on the lemon and go somewhere else. I'm sorry you have to go through this, I wouldn't be happy either.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      05-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #37
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_88 View Post
Sounds like a lot of red flags with this dealership. If there is another one nearby I would suggest bringing your business elsewhere. See if you can facilitate a full refund on the lemon and go somewhere else. I'm sorry you have to go through this, I wouldn't be happy either.
As the dealership is refusing the return, I have a call in to BMW NA to help "force" the return and do plan to take my business elsewhere. I haven't used the "lemon" word with them yet, even though it does qualify in the state of CA, but I want to give BMW NA a chance to influence the situation and hoping I come out better as a result of some patience.

But I probably have about 3 more business days of patience left in me before I go nuclear.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #38
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the affirmation. Part of my lack of success in these situations as that I'm super nice with my tone of voice and never let my internal frustration come out. After all, it's not the person's fault. I do accept it as bad luck. I chatted with BMW NA who will hopefully advocate for me better and reach an amicable solution. I'm exhausted from continually having the ball put in my court by the dealer and me having to find a workable solution. I've said twice, I bring back car, you refund me what I paid. Done. But they keep saying no and that I should let them repair it, or work with the sales team on a new one. But I don't like any of their cars on the lot. Plus their sales guy was really emotional and aggressive when my wife discussed wanting to order one to her exact specifications instead of taking the one on the lot on a new car we purchased 4 days after I bought the CPO. So much so that we needed to leave the building and take a break from the guy... So many missteps along the way.
I hear you. I think it's human nature for us to be nice whereas the dealers look to take advantage of that. I think it was a good idea to discuss with BMW NA and I hope this gets resolved. Wow, to discourage you from placing an order because they rather clear their inventory is enough for me to look elsewhere. I dunno, I always expect better from the dealers but more often than not, I don't get it. The only time I did was when I had a long term relationship with my specific advisor, but when he left - this new guy I deal with hasn't shown me the same level of love. lol

It's just that a car is usually the second or third most expensive thing that most people will buy. We should be happy with what we get since it's going to be around for a while. When I read that yours was a CPO, I feel like that should be considered in how they treat you going forward. Good luck, man!
Appreciate 1
xylodan27.00
      05-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #39
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Anyone know of any ways to speed up the action of BMW NA?

I'm paying rent in two places right now because of this (I was supposed to move a month ago). BMW NA says they need 20-25 days to review the case. I was planning on using a trailer and doing my move myself, but that requires a $2500 hitch installation on a car that I don't plan/want to keep with a vibrating drivetrain. So I'm going to end up paying $3k for movers. I also don't want to move out of state with all this going on as I don't know the lemon laws in Nevada and how that will work when I change states.

I'm tempted to simply trade this car in and take the loss because I'm losing more $ by keeping than they will probably ever make up.

Technically, it's been in service for 28 days so far (in less than 7 weeks of ownership) so it's 2 days shy of the CA lemon requirements so a lawyer probably won't be able to help.

For those in the bay area in CA, I'll just throw this out there. East Bay BMW sucks. And BMW NA isn't being great either. I called them first 3 weeks ago and they would take a week to return my call.

I simply want to return the CPO which needs it's fourth repair in less than two months of ownership and buy a brand new one at a different dealer. Why is this so hard for them?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #40
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
no car is worth all that hassle.
get rid of it, its costing you more money and preventing you from moving.
get a new one, and move to Nevada.
Appreciate 1
xylodan27.00
      05-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #41
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
no car is worth all that hassle.
get rid of it, its costing you more money and preventing you from moving.
get a new one, and move to Nevada.
It's killing me that I'm going to take a financial loss on a car I've had less than 2 months, but you're right. I didn't factor in the paid sales tax in my original calculations though which makes the loss several thousand more than just the difference in purchase price and trade in price.

Ugh... So frustrated and feeling robbed.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #42
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
It's killing me that I'm going to take a financial loss on a car I've had less than 2 months, but you're right. I didn't factor in the paid sales tax in my original calculations though which makes the loss several thousand more than just the difference in purchase price and trade in price.

Ugh... So frustrated and feeling robbed.
I don't know about California Lemon Law but if you do fall under the protections you might get your tax back too. I did in FL with a new car. Got everything back including taxes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #43
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know about California Lemon Law but if you do fall under the protections you might get your tax back too. I did in FL with a new car. Got everything back including taxes.
Yeah, that's the reality that is keeping me from simply taking this car to a Jeep dealership, taking the loss and going back to Wrangler's... I had an e30 (80's 3 series) that I put 250k miles on that was awesome. Then an e46 (2000 3 series) that was a nightmare money pit. I drove Jeep's after that car but then decided I'd give BMW another try for something quieter. Very much regretting it. I still love their motorcycles though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #44
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, that's the reality that is keeping me from simply taking this car to a Jeep dealership, taking the loss and going back to Wrangler's... I had an e30 (80's 3 series) that I put 250k miles on that was awesome. Then an e46 (2000 3 series) that was a nightmare money pit. I drove Jeep's after that car but then decided I'd give BMW another try for something quieter. Very much regretting it. I still love their motorcycles though.
If it makes you feel better I had a 2020 Rubicon Recon edition and that was what was lemoned out. Happens to all manufactures, just some more than others. I know from reading the forums it seems I hear way more for Jeep. Hardly hear about it with BMW.
Appreciate 1
xylodan27.00