BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
ProfessorPatPending
Private
Rep
Drives: X5, X3M, X3m40i

New X3M nonComp - Odd exhaust howl

Just picked up the new X3M yesterday and have only taken a few trips, plus some driveway observations.

After starting up cold (it’s 70 outside) and lasting for at least a half hour, there is an unpleasant howl coming from the exhaust. I can’t isolate it to any particular exhaust tip, but the sound is from the outside the car. After 45 minutes of driving it has nearly or completely disappeared.

Once the howl is has faded, I can use the exhaust button to vary between two pleasant exhaust tones. During the howl, the button has no effect.

I disabled ASD which made no difference. I’m familiar with ASD, but don’t think this new X3M ever made ASD sounds, nor could I find It in the menus, so used BimmerCode to disable it. The howl is not an ASD issue.

Anyone else experience this?
I’m going back next week for clear plastic bra and software update, so will ask them to check it out.

Last edited by ProfessorPatPending; 05-22-2021 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPatPending View Post
Just picked up the new X3M yesterday and have only taken a few trips, plus some driveway observations.

After starting up cold (it's 70 outside) and lasting for at least a half hour, there is an unpleasant howl coming from the exhaust. I can't isolate it to any particular exhaust tip, but the sound is from the outside the car. After 45 minutes of driving it has nearly or completely disappeared.

Once the howl is has faded, I can use the exhaust button to vary between two pleasant exhaust tones. During the howl, the button has no effect.

I disabled ASD which made no difference. I'm familiar with ASD, but don't think this new X3M ever made ASD sounds, nor could I find It in the menus, so used BimmerCode to disable it. The howl is not an ASD issue.

Anyone else experience this?
I'm going back next week for clear plastic bra and software update, so will ask them to check it out.
It's a muffler defect. I got a new muffler from bmw and it was good for about 1k mi then started again although not as bad as the original muffler.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

My dealer just discovered a broken exhaust system bracket (under the floorboard) that caused an exhaust rattle and transmitted vibration into the interior. Have them check for that as well.
Appreciate 0