BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #45
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Just had my appointment, full offer stands. Only kicker I have to drive it up to damn Casper Wyoming from Denver to drop it off at the closest Lithia dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #46
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Just had my appointment, full offer stands. Only kicker I have to drive it up to damn Casper Wyoming from Denver to drop it off at the closest Lithia dealer.
Damn, how far is that?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #47
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Damn, how far is that?
It's a hike, 280miles. But gotta do it for this buyout.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #48
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Just sold my wife's 2020 X3 30i Xdrive (new $43,000) for $39,100. 17,000 miles and 19 months old. Now we'll look around at something new. It's nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #49
Jiovanny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

can you sell if you have a lease?
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1219.00
      05-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #50
X3mcesq
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiovanny View Post
can you sell if you have a lease?

Yes I just did it. PM me I'll talk you through it
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #51
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

The numbers while at first glance look good are not favorable, in my case. Purchase price 69 and change (msrp 83.5). Drive away 67k. Car has 16.5k miles on it. After paying off the loan about 16k of equity, but I'm into the car for about 27k so it would be a net loss of around 11k.

Except for the guy in Oregon it seems like people are ignoring the taxes and registration paid on their X3m and then the new taxes and registration they will pay on their replacement car. Maybe in some states it doesn't matter but here in CA taxes and registration was around 6000.
      05-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #52
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Is the buyout listed in bmw financial inclusive of taxes?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #53
X3mcesq
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
Quote:
Certainly not.

But you can sell off your lease via a third party dealer such as vroom, carvana, driveway etc. and the tax ramifications would only be on the difference between the buy out figure and your agreement with the third party. In other words, it's all gravy (if you are in the green which seemingly now everyone is).

You only pay sales tax on the buyout if you actually are buying the vehicle. If the 'dealer' is buying it, it's not your tax event.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      05-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #54
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3mcesq View Post
Certainly not.

But you can sell off your lease via a third party dealer such as vroom, carvana, driveway etc. and the tax ramifications would only be on the difference between the buy out figure and your agreement with the third party. In other words, it's all gravy (if you are in the green which seemingly now everyone is).

You only pay sales tax on the buyout if you actually are buying the vehicle. If the 'dealer' is buying it, it's not your tax event.
Thanks.

Is the dealer buyout with BMW Fin different than lessee? It says dealers should call in. This was the case with another vehicle of mine. The dealer buyout was $2k more than my buyout, after taxes. I would net $2k less if going through Carvana or Vroom and having them buyout the lease.

In that scenario, I paid taxes into the lease company. And apparently I will get a check made out to the state for taxes that I submit when I finalize the process at the DMV. Title in the mail this week I think.

At first I thought I was in great shape with my X3M. $57.7k buyout, $63.3k offered. But with over $4k in taxes due, that changes the game a bit, and doesn't really seem worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #55
X3mcesq
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Is the dealer buyout with BMW Fin different than lessee? It says dealers should call in. This was the case with another vehicle of mine. The dealer buyout was $2k more than my buyout, after taxes. I would net $2k less if going through Carvana or Vroom and having them buyout the lease.

In that scenario, I paid taxes into the lease company. And apparently I will get a check made out to the state for taxes that I submit when I finalize the process at the DMV. Title in the mail this week I think.

At first I thought I was in great shape with my X3M. $57.7k buyout, $63.3k offered. But with over $4k in taxes due, that changes the game a bit, and doesn't really seem worth the hassle.
Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Best to call BMW Financial for your particular circumstances. State rules on taxes differ with regard to upfront, rolled in, taxes on monthly payment taxes on entire vehicle etc and as such it differs on how much tax (payment) you already put in to the car so to speak.

My deal was not with BMW, it was with Chase Financial/Jaguar and I know the dealer buyout was the same as my lease contact buyout as I called them. The way it was explained to me by Chase (equivalent to BMW FS in your circumstance) was essentially that they will sell the car to anyone for the price on the lease contract, they don't care who as long as it's paid full. They are just a bank after all.
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1219.00
      05-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #56
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

I'm in this situation. I got a quote from driveway for 63 and change. My buyout is 59 and change. I paid taxes up front on my lease. It seemed like a slam dunk for me to go ahead with it but after reading this I'm not so sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:43 PM   #57
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Okay after rereading some of this it seems to be making more sense. So if I'm selling the car to driveway then I'm not on the hook for any taxes. It's all on them. So their offer of 63 vs my "buyout" of 59 would indeed net a 4K check in my favor?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #58
X3mcesq
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Okay after rereading some of this it seems to be making more sense. So if I'm selling the car to driveway then I'm not on the hook for any taxes. It's all on them. So their offer of 63 vs my "buyout" of 59 would indeed net a 4K check in my favor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Quote:
Quote:
Certainly not.

Thanks.

Not saying you wouldn't be on the hook for taxes down the road 11 months from now (when 2021 taxes are due in USA) on the 4K. But if a dealer is buying the car it's not your tax problem. Your deal is with Driveway for the difference between what they are buying the car from the bank for and what their agreement is with you. SALES TAX. Paid by the buyer (not sure why/how but dealers don't pay this tax apparently).

Disclaimer- I am not a tax accountant nor an accountant at all. I am just a person doing research and asking questions of my Bank and of dealers making me offers. You should do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #59
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

update

Driveway offered me $66,300 so I can net $11,300. Supposed to sell today and pick up am X3MC Friday. Now having 2nd thoughts on X3MC, this is weird but contemplating X3 30e M Sport, 60K sticker, $1,000 down and pocket $10,300. I live in LA and gas prices suck haha,
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #60
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Driveway offered me $66,300 so I can net $11,300. Supposed to sell today and pick up am X3MC Friday. Now having 2nd thoughts on X3MC, this is weird but contemplating X3 30e M Sport, 60K sticker, $1,000 down and pocket $10,300. I live in LA and gas prices suck haha,
You're not factoring in the tax and registration that you'll pay on the replacement car, or are you?
      05-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #61
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
You're not factoring in the tax and registration that you'll pay on the replacement car, or are you?

Yes that's all in
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #62
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
My docs from driveway. Gonna be completed later this week, as I have to drop the car off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #63
serpentine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not knowing the laws of each state, we are probably all better served calling our states DMV or tag place to get answers.

I *think* I have PA figured out. If you sell to a dealer (I assume Driveway is a dealer) then there is technically no taxable event, as the dealer is exempt. That said, I believe they must buy out your lease. Not quite sure if BMW Finance has different buyouts for owners vs. dealers.

If you buyout your lease as the owner, you technically don’t have clean title to transfer to the dealer. Whatever you get in the mail has to be registered with the DMV, which is when you pay taxes. The title comes and on it is the purchase price, so you can’t gift it to yourself. You can’t sell to a dealer without first clearing the title which triggers the taxes.

US Bank, my previous vehicle lease, does the opposite. They include taxes in your buyout, and when title comes, along with it is a check made out to PA for the taxes. I hand that over to the DMV at registration. In that situation my buyout was $30k but dealers was $32k or more. So flipping to Vroom at 32 would net me zero unless I bought it out first.

Hope this helps. A bunch of others touched on all of these elements. Just adding my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #64
LloydP
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
My docs from driveway. Gonna be completed later this week, as I have to drop the car off.
What's next vehicle wise for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #65
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydP View Post
What's next vehicle wise for you?
G80, top of the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #66
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep

Driveway

Question, I am selling my car to Driveway Thursday. Why would I have to pay taxes when they are buying the car directly from BMW FS?
Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0