BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Dead Battery

Hi guys. My wife's new 2020 X3M has 980 miles on it. When she got in it this morning it was dead. When I checked the voltage a few hours ago it read 5.9 volts and now it is down to 2.8 volts. I tried to put my battery charger on it, but it acts very funny, almost like a dead short. The needle on the charger swings wildly from zero amps to above the ten amp max.

I've called roadside service and they're on the way. The thing is, the car is pulled into my garage head first and too dead to get it into neutral. Is there a way to mechanically get it into neutral? I was going to put a new battery in it, but I don't even know where the battery is.

Any advice? Should I let the wrecker try to drag it out of the garage while it is in Park?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

I'd run your questions by your Svc Advisor before roadside assistance arrives if there's still time, but as far as battery location:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ery/1Vnc7bLk1v

And battery description:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ery/1VnYsMPZJq

As I don't have any electrical background I've always left everything up to the Svc team when I've had dead batteries in the past. I think they have to re-register the battery with the system with software and possibly other actions (maybe others can comment).

As far as unlocking the transmission lock, again - no experience, but p. 141 of Owner's Manual describes 'Electronically unlocking', and they state "unlocking is possible, if the starter can spin the engine". So if they can jump it then try that procedure? Suspect roadside assistance have come across that before.

Others with more electrical/mechanical knowledge can provide better answers I suspect, but I noticed you didn't have any replies so thought I'd share.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Hi guys. My wife's new 2020 X3M has 980 miles on it. When she got in it this morning it was dead. When I checked the voltage a few hours ago it read 5.9 volts and now it is down to 2.8 volts. I tried to put my battery charger on it, but it acts very funny, almost like a dead short. The needle on the charger swings wildly from zero amps to above the ten amp max.

I've called roadside service and they're on the way. The thing is, the car is pulled into my garage head first and too dead to get it into neutral. Is there a way to mechanically get it into neutral? I was going to put a new battery in it, but I don't even know where the battery is.

Any advice? Should I let the wrecker try to drag it out of the garage while it is in Park?
Very interested in the details once the root cause is available. Thanks in advance for updating this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Maybe they can jack up the rear and put on dolly’s?
The fronts seem to spin when off IIRC.

The battery is in the trunk though so it may be positioned well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Roadside should be able to fire it up with a booster pack. Enough to get it out of the garage and onto a flatbed for further investigation.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I found my longer jumper cables and was able to jump it off with my Raptor before the wrecker arrived. There was an amazing arc when I made the last jumper cable ground connection on the X3M, like something was trying to draw a lot of power.

The service advisor lady said to always lock it, even in the garage. She said if it can sense the key nearby it could turn on computers and walk up lights and drain the battery that way. I’ll definitely report their actual findings. They agreed to do the run in service too. It was at 1001 miles when I got it there.

Last edited by Ironwood; 01-15-2020 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Glad you're getting it worked on. And FWIW, I've been using a BMW trickle-charger every two-three weeks on our X3MCs, and it usually takes a solid 12-14 hours' overnight charge to turn green (bought some years ago after a few dead batteries with our F25 models, and no issues since, knock-on-wood).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Glad you're getting it worked on. And FWIW, I've been using a BMW trickle-charger every two-three weeks on our X3MCs, and it usually takes a solid 12-14 hours' overnight charge to turn green (bought some years ago after a few dead batteries with our F25 models, and no issues since, knock-on-wood).
How often is the car sitting that it needs a trickle charger?

I don’t have a great deal of faith in this battery with the massive amounts of draw when off but I’m hoping more driving will help avoid having to charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
How often is the car sitting that it needs a trickle charger? I don’t have a great deal of faith in this battery with the massive amounts of draw when off but I’m hoping more driving will help avoid having to charge.
Each are used daily - 10-50 miles (varies). Got the trickle charger initially after having some dead batteries with our F25s as mentioned. One time was the day after a 5 hour drive. Always thought that using the engine meant an alternator was sending at least some charge to keep a battery semi-charged.

Apparently newer technology doesn't have as much regenerative capacity unless coasting in gear or braking, and on an extended highway drive when those activities aren't used, then battery charge is actually being used to run the USB laptop, sound system, iDrive, Driver's Assistance cameras, parking assistance, cruise, security system when locked, ... Or so I was advised. Whether true or not, made some sense - as when we'd drive we would only see the regenerative technology bar in the instrument cluster reach the light blue after an extended coast or braking.

I honestly have no idea as zero background in any of the science behind it. And one might argue that too much charging of the battery may actually lower the lifespan? But supposedly trickle chargers and this type of battery are different?

So as you can tell I have no idea, but I'm glad I have the charger, joking with my wife that I'm enjoying our plug-in vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Each are used daily - 10-50 miles (varies). Got the trickle charger initially after having some dead batteries with our F25s as mentioned. One time was the day after a 5 hour drive. Always thought that using the engine meant an alternator was sending at least some charge to keep a battery semi-charged.

Apparently newer technology doesn't have as much regenerative capacity unless coasting in gear or braking, and on an extended highway drive when those activities aren't used, then battery charge is actually being used to run the USB laptop, sound system, iDrive, Driver's Assistance cameras, parking assistance, cruise, security system when locked, ... Or so I was advised. Whether true or not, made some sense - as when we'd drive we would only see the regenerative technology bar in the instrument cluster reach the light blue after an extended coast or braking.

I honestly have no idea as zero background in any of the science behind it. And one might argue that too much charging of the battery may actually lower the lifespan? But supposedly trickle chargers and this type of battery are different?

So as you can tell I have no idea, but I'm glad I have the charger, joking with my wife that I'm enjoying our plug-in vehicles.
Yikes! I may have to bust out my charger now.

I used to have an E46 M3 and it was on a trickle charger most of its life. The original battery lasted ~10 years so I don’t think over charging is an issue as long as the charger shuts off.

The one I have connects to the battery terminals and can jump start.

The regenerative indicator - is that on the F97s? If so, where do I find that?

Alternators are run by the belts (or used to be) so they should be charging the battery when ever the engine is running - not sure if that changed.

My X3Mc is such a hog for electric power with all the features so now I’m worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #11
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
doesnt sound right - alternators are run from the engine/timing belts and not from the drive systems.

but i havent looked at our car
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I thought the regenerative stuff from coasting and braking was just that eco dynamic stuff. Not instead of an alternator but in addition?

Regardless, I've not had to use a charger since my 10 year old 1981 Vauxhall Chevette. Certainly not on the past 3 BMWs. So far my X3MC is fine too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I've not had to use a charger since my 10 year old 1981 Vauxhall Chevette. Certainly not on the past 3 BMWs. So far my X3MC is fine too.
we know your joking - those rusted before the battery needed charging
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The dealer texted me. Bad battery was the verdict. My wife drives it about 25 minutes each way to work daily. That should definitely be enough to keep the battery charged. Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I thought the regenerative stuff from coasting and braking was just that eco dynamic stuff. Not instead of an alternator but in addition?

Regardless, I've not had to use a charger since my 10 year old 1981 Vauxhall Chevette. Certainly not on the past 3 BMWs. So far my X3MC is fine too.
I had a college classmate that would tell everyone he drove a Vette - a Chevette.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 1
kzg19691299.00
      01-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
M5_M3_X3M
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
I had a college classmate that would tell everyone he drove a Vette - a Chevette.
Had one back in the 80s - was known as the ‘Shove it’ rather than Chevette for obvious reasons!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
M5_M3_X3M
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

As for the battery on M cars, had an F10 M5 for 3 years followed by F80 M3 for 3 years followed by current X3M. Mostly driving 5 miles each way to work (I know, a bit pointless having an M for that!) but have had zero battery issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #18
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

If you follow some of the links in the newtis files here is a description of the alternator (not that it helps for someone as myself who has little background in this area): https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tor/1VnYBm17uW

I've not seen the 'regenerative bars' in our F97s as we had in the G01 X3 M40is, so can't comment on whether anything has changed as to how the alternator sends energy back to the battery.

And I don't wish to make it sound as though these are 'plug-in hybrids' by any means, I just recall being told about long drives (when using USB to charge phones and laptops, stereo, etc), that the battery drain is more than the charge can maintain so battery issues may develop and a trickle-charger can assist in preventing such. Hence one was purchased. The cost is minimal and I can't believe that was a sales pitch (but it could have been), and since we've used it over the years we haven't had an issue. Totally unrelated is absolutely possible and seems likely.

But I do remain puzzled that both of our G01 X3M40i models, and now both of our F97 X3MC models, can sit on a 14 hour charge every two to three weeks and go from red to just blinking green (happened last night on my wife's). This seems to indicate that the battery control system operates just fine at a less-than-optimal charge for the duration of a vehicle's life. Again, I continue to share my lack of knowledge about this - just reporting experience.

Would be interesting to see if others who are plugging into an approved trickle charger (note the requirements of slow charge as stated in the manual and tech data) have the same 12-14 hour charge times. I suspect those times will be similar. Does it matter from an operational standpoint? Probably not. I just haven't seen any data to suggest I shouldn't continue plugging them in, as long as I'm not damaging anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #19
Harry756
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

SNAP!

My battery died on mine too.

I think it was from cleaning the car (walking by the car when I was washing it on day one and in and out of the car cleaning the interior on day two). I had my keys in my pocket on both days and obviously have comfort access.

The recovery guy cam and jump started from a battery pack.

On the diagnostic it said replace battery but the dealer has tested it and said it doesn't need to be replaced.

Pain in the ass but hey shit happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_M3_X3M View Post
As for the battery on M cars, had an F10 M5 for 3 years followed by F80 M3 for 3 years followed by current X3M. Mostly driving 5 miles each way to work (I know, a bit pointless having an M for that!) but have had zero battery issues.
Same, unless the battery defective you won't have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #21
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
we know your joking - those rusted before the battery needed charging
Hehe, mine had 8000 miles on it when I got it. One old lady owner. It was like brand new. Engine was a bit coked up though and it was a rusty orange colour which was soon christened Skip Orange.
Appreciate 1
kzg19691299.00
      01-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well, this morning the battery was dead again and my wife's new X3M wouldn't start. The new battery lasted one week. She put 100 miles on it in four trips to her work and home again. Had to take my wife to work, jump it off and take it to BMW again. By the time I made the trip to the dealership, it was charged up and would start every time. The tech thinks maybe my wife is still leaving it unlocked in the garage and the radio on playing her CD all night. I find it difficult to believe that shutting a $80,000 vehicle off with the button and walking away will kill the battery. They're claiming you have to lock it every time, keep the key far away, press and hold the radio off button, and not leave any papers in the seat. But they said they would investigate and call me in the morning.
Appreciate 0