BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #1057
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
My discoveries is that I cannot figure out how to do things that seem easy.

1. Can't remove individual songs from your Stored Music
2. Can't get to the list when you check Favorites for your songs in Stored Music.
3. If you put songs into a playlist, how do you then access them?
ting:
4. Because of the weird keep everything on...it is VERY difficult to figure out which fuse is ignition dependent.
5. Tire pressure is supposed to be checked cold. Then, why do you need to drive for 20 minutes or so before the pressure reset works?
6. If you put the right amount of pressure in the tires, but the TPS or system provides a different number, you cannot change it to say "NO...I am right. Now use this as the standard"
7. The back window is not acoustic glass based on people in the back seat saying that they hear the car behind but not when it drives past the car.
8. The adaptive LED lights move (slightly) with the direction of the car.
9. There are cornering lights that turn on when moving slowly and going around a corner.
10. Mudflaps fit well enough that no one would know that they are a 99%, not 100% perfect fit.
11. 18" rims will fit the m40i
12. Press the sunroof twice and the shade will open and the sunroof will as well.
13. Freewheeling in ECO is a fun game that pisses off the people behind you who think "Why do people in super-cars always drive slow?" Ha!
14. A new windshield is $1620 and the PARTS (!) for an oil change are $100.

That is about all I can think of!
Paul
13. Freewheeling in ECO is a fun game that pisses off the people behind you who think "Why do people in super-cars always drive slow?" Ha!

That is so true, and a great game I inadvertantly played in my previous car, 530 XDrive, as I teased more and more fuel economy if I wanted to try and beat my personal best, which was only on a work day with all day to do a journey.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #1058
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

I started this thread 18 months ago because I knew then that I'd still be discovering things about my car long after the new car smell had worn off.

That's one of the things about BMW engineering that I really appreciate: how the car's subtleties only become apparent over time.

Today's subtle feature is shown in the attached image. If you set your onboard computer to show the compass, when you turn the car off the 6WB display always returns to due north.

My parking spot faces due west. Now, when I shut the car off, I look forward to the animation showing the compass reset. And when I start the car, I also like the "resume" that takes a couple of seconds while the car determines the direction. (BTW, if you have a compass showing in iDrive 6 the direction remains whatever was it was when the car was shut down.)
Attached Images

Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #1059
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Sorry if this is mentioned earlier - it's just a looonnnnng thread. I searched for indicator / turn / signal - nothing relevant I could see.

So how was this missed it so? Is this the only car on the road that doesn't do that (to me) annoying thing of dimming the DRL when indicator comes on? Even other BMW do it!!! Why is X3 so special?

I love it that it's like this, even though I'll most likely never see it :-) [of course unless pointing towards a reflective surface or seeing another similar vehicle]
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #1060
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Sorry if this is mentioned earlier - it's just a looonnnnng thread. I searched for indicator / turn / signal - nothing relevant I could see.

So how was this missed it so? Is this the only car on the road that doesn't do that (to me) annoying thing of dimming the DRL when indicator comes on? Even other BMW do it!!! Why is X3 so special?

I love it that it's like this, even though I'll most likely never see it :-) [of course unless pointing towards a reflective surface or seeing another similar vehicle]
No recent X series bmw dim the DRL when the turning indicator is on. The merc and audi's do for most of their cars.

The reason is because the turning light is about 2 inches or so away from the DRLs, so no need to dim. Any distance less than 2 inches between turning light and DRL, the DRL will have to dim. I am talking from experience with European regulators.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #1061
VrmmVrmm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XLine G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post

That is so true, and a great game I inadvertantly played in my previous car, 530 XDrive, as I teased more and more fuel economy if I wanted to try and beat my personal best, which was only on a work day with all day to do a journey.
Point 1) about being unable to remove songs etc. You can remove songs from your music storage if they are loaded as an individual track but if you ripped say a whole CD and loaded it into the storage as one track then you cannot remove a part of that much larger track if you see my point. Possibly 20 tracks rolled into one on a ripped CD. Use the OPTIONS button to edit/remove tracks from the storage/internal HDD.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #1062
aiber
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Newbie here. Search the thread but didn’t find anything. If already asked and answered please provide link.

My X3 sDrive 30i has the following: driver assistance plus package, driver assistance package and parking assistance package. On page 210 of the manual, there are directions regarding “automatic lane change assistant”. Should I have that option? If not, why is it in the manual? I can’t figure out how to use it. Is it only available on other X3s? I hope that someone here can help because I have searched on the internet and haven’t been able to find anything on this.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #1063
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiber View Post
Newbie here. Search the thread but didn’t find anything. If already asked and answered please provide link.

My X3 sDrive 30i has the following: driver assistance plus package, driver assistance package and parking assistance package. On page 210 of the manual, there are directions regarding “automatic lane change assistant”. Should I have that option? If not, why is it in the manual? I can’t figure out how to use it. Is it only available on other X3s? I hope that someone here can help because I have searched on the internet and haven’t been able to find anything on this.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the X3 family, aiber

Manual hard copies are printed with all options that may not be available in all the cars. I have seen that in manuals for other cars, and assume BMW would not be different in this regard.

I use the BMW Driver's Guide app to see the details of the features/options my car has. You need to enter the VIN in app to download the manual and it will only show the details of the options your car has. I have used that in the past to check details of another car as well. Moreover, it's just easier to search in app than in an actual manual - and it fits nicely in your pocket too
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #1064
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMeoW View Post

Manual hard copies are printed with all options that may not be available in all the cars. I have seen that in manuals for other cars, and assume BMW would not be different in this regard.

I use the BMW Driver's Guide app to see the details of the features/options my car has. You need to enter the VIN in app to download the manual and it will only show the details of the options your car has. I have used that in the past to check details of another car as well. Moreover, it's just easier to search in app than in an actual manual - and it fits nicely in your pocket too
Good suggestion, but from what I understand, only works with Apple software, not Android.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:13 AM   #1065
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Good suggestion, but from what I understand, only works with Apple software, not Android.
JDsX3, it seems the app is available for Android as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.row&hl=en_AU.

I have used iPhone app only though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #1066
DiamondLights
Private
Rep

Hi all

Is there any way to amend the colours of the dash speedometer? Looks like it's mostly red tinged (certainly at night) and Eco Mode runs in Blue?

I really like the Blue colouration as i have the black stitching with Blue trim, with black floormats and blue trim to match. So am keen to amend the colours of the dash speedometer if possible?

Appreciate your thoughts!
      08-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #1067
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLights View Post
Hi all

Is there any way to amend the colours of the dash speedometer? Looks like it's mostly red tinged (certainly at night) and Eco Mode runs in Blue?

I really like the Blue colouration as i have the black stitching with Blue trim, with black floormats and blue trim to match. So am keen to amend the colours of the dash speedometer if possible?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Presumably it can be coded to show the eco display or you could run in eco mode with the shifter in sport...it’s pretty decent in that mode as an alternative to Comfort. Clearly Sport is much better.
      08-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #1068
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Hi all

You can code the Alpina scheme which is blue or blue and green.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #1069
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
Hi all

You can code the Alpina scheme which is blue or blue and green.
You will need full digital dash for this to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #1070
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
JDsX3, it seems the app is available for Android as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.row&hl=en_AU.

I have used iPhone app only though.
Thanks, you are right. I just downloaded it on my Android and it works fine.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:50 AM   #1071
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Today I discovered that if you set the Instrument Settings in Display to "Individual", it remembers the setting that you have chosen(using BC button on stalk) for the centre part of instrument panel like compass, average consumption etc. If you chose "Standard" instead, it reverts back to Odo reading after every restart irrespective of what you chose during the drive. I have ID6 - not sure about the same on ID7.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #1072
mreg376
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 xDrive30i

Quote:

Be aware the app isn't perfect. For me it downloaded the manual for the plug-in hybrid (which mine is not) and the nav/entertainment manual makes no mention of my Harman Kardon audio upgrade. Still trying to straighten this out...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #1073
thechrisjones
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
What was your lunch mode? My lunch mode was cheese and crackers with a Diet Coke.
HAHAHAHA!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:19 AM   #1074
Kbnk14
Rep
Drives: X3

After 2 years I discovered that Adaptive cruise control is much better /intelligent/predictive when used with ECO PRO mode.
I've been using it with SPORT or Comfort and it was all strong accelerate..break..accelerate and break. But with ECO pro it anticipates a lot and it feels much more like "human" would drive. (if this is known and was discussed here a lot I am sorry)
Appreciate 5
MALOW_33.00
Alias1431795.00
Jimjamz4595.00
      08-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #1075
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbnk14 View Post
After 2 years I discovered that Adaptive cruise control is much better /intelligent/predictive when used with ECO PRO mode.
I've been using it with SPORT or Comfort and it was all strong accelerate..break..accelerate and break. But with ECO pro it anticipates a lot and it feels much more like "human" would drive. (if this is known and was discussed here a lot I am sorry)
This is good advice that I've not seen before. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #1076
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
I think what you are feeling is the reduced throttle response in Eco Pro.

I know people here hate Eco Pro. I use it all the time. I like the coasting mode, the more relaxed engine response and the reduced Adaptive Sound.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #1077
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Doesn't using adaptive CC in ECO PRO mode reduce its ability to hold the desired speed downhill? Quite significantly...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #1078
Kbnk14
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I think what you are feeling is the reduced throttle response in Eco Pro.

I know people here hate Eco Pro. I use it all the time. I like the coasting mode, the more relaxed engine response and the reduced Adaptive Sound.
reduced throttle response - that as well,also I feel like it registers cars in front of me more in advance and slows down much more gentle without breaking to much.
In comfort or sport it comes close to the distance you specify with the bars on the steering and then breaks
Appreciate 0