BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
benmingli
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i GT

X3 hook won't latch on passenger side

[Update] Brought it in to the dealer today and the technician closed it single-handled in front of me with his first try.
I was told to close it firmly. "DON't hesitate, don't stop even at the very end." is what he said.
I tried it at the scene and at home later, now I can close it properly.
Can't explain, but that's what happened.

It's the 5th day after I picked up my X3. And I can't seem to close the hoo/bonnet properly. I have tried to close it firmly but still no luck. The passenger side still wouldn't close, leaving a quite noticeable gap.
Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by benmingli; 08-13-2018 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmingli View Post
It's the 5th day after I picked up my X3. And I can't seem to close it properly. I have tried to close it firmly but still no luck. The passenger side still wouldn't close properly, leaving a quite noticeable gap.
Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow.
Close what? The doors or the hood? When I had the kidney grills changed out, the guy had a huge issue closing my hood and had to adjust some things for some reason despite the fact that he didn't mess with anything (he says).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
benmingli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Close what? The doors or the hood? When I had the kidney grills changed out, the guy had a huge issue closing my hood and had to adjust some things for some reason despite the fact that he didn't mess with anything (he says).
The hood/bonnet

In my case, I didn't do anything about the hinges.. I simply open the hood, spray some rodent repellent (had rat issue with my previous car), then I tried to close it.

Last edited by benmingli; 08-12-2018 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The hood/bonnet
Did you edit your post or am I that blind that I missed it the first time? haha.
In any case...I had that same issue like I mentioned. I cannot recall what the guys in the shop that changed out my grills etc did to fix it. I think it just involved one of the things (yeah I am not super technical) on the hood being unwound too far. I think they just tightened that left side by screwing it in more and it worked. You can try that if you haven't and if it doesn't work bring in to the dealer. Though I'd take side streets and not get on the highway like that. haha. I remember freaking out thinking he did something to screw it up and was happy he fixed it...but now I can see it's just a weird thing from the factory probably.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
benmingli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Did you edit your post or am I that blind that I missed it the first time? haha.
In any case...I had that same issue like I mentioned. I cannot recall what the guys in the shop that changed out my grills etc did to fix it. I think it just involved one of the things (yeah I am not super technical) on the hood being unwound too far. I think they just tightened that left side by screwing it in more and it worked. You can try that if you haven't and if it doesn't work bring in to the dealer. Though I'd take side streets and not get on the highway like that. haha. I remember freaking out thinking he did something to screw it up and was happy he fixed it...but now I can see it's just a weird thing from the factory probably.
Yeah I did edit my post Thanks a lot for your reply. I will keep this post updated.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I did edit my post Thanks a lot for your reply. I will keep this post updated.
Yeah let us know. I don't know what the things are that you screw/unscrew are actually called...but adjusting that left side to make it shorter and make sure they're the same length should work.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:06 AM   #7
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
A few of the youtube reviews of the 2018 X3 had similar issues - you're definitely not alone!
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #8
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Just a small adjustment on the bonnet. I saw it another thread. Dealer will fix it for you, probably he will do it while your there.
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I had this problem on a BMW I got that had dual latches. Don’t remember which model or when, but I went from a BMW with single latch to one with latches on both sides, and the darn thing would never latch on both sides. Just for the heck of it I looked in the owners manual and they had a rather specific “do it this way” procedure for latching the hood, which worked fine. I think it had something to do with lifting to a certain height then giving it a downward push and let gravity take over. Anyway, I thought I knew how to shut hoods after 30+ years working on cars but this one was special.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 30i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I had this problem on a BMW I got that had dual latches. Don't remember which model or when, but I went from a BMW with single latch to one with latches on both sides, and the darn thing would never latch on both sides. Just for the heck of it I looked in the owners manual and they had a rather specific "do it this way" procedure for latching the hood, which worked fine. I think it had something to do with lifting to a certain height then giving it a downward push and let gravity take over. Anyway, I thought I knew how to shut hoods after 30+ years working on cars but this one was special.
Yes, I had the same issue. The driver's side was way too close to the headlights, I was afraid the weight would crack it. I later noticed that all those dealer inventory pics of their X3s had the same 'problem'! I assumed it had to do with a proper technique of closing it. I don't have the manual, so can someone please share the "right way to do it"?

In my case, these two ways worked a) little more force + gravity (personally didn't prefer this), b) rest the hood ever so lightly and push in the passenger side first and then the drivers side. You should hear each one click separately.
Anyways I am not opening the hood unless I really really have to!!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

My X3 had a similar problem with the hood not closing securely on the passenger side. I opened the hood and lowered the hood stop bumper just a little bit and never had the problem again.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
benmingli
Rep

Red face

[Update] Brought it in to the dealer today and the technician closed it single-handled in front of me with his first try.
I was told to close it firmly. "DON't hesitate, don't stop even at the very end." is what he said.
I tried it at the scene and at home later, now I can close it properly.
Can't explain, but that's what happened.
Appreciate 1