BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums Third Generation BMW X3 (G01) General Forum (2017+) Wheel and Tire Woes 2019 X3 M40i - Will these work? Ideas

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Wheel and Tire Woes 2019 X3 M40i - Will these work? Ideas

I know there are plenty of threads that go into this but they all go back and forth and having a hard time figuring out if what I am looking at will fit, look right, etc...


I cannot find any aftermarket 7.5 or 8" wide wheels on Tirerack for the 2018 or 2019. The option they present me are:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...kageFlow=false

Which are the Flow One Race Spec F4 19/8.5

Q: Is the width an issue? Would they look/work ok at that width

The tires I am planning on getting are the:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV 245/50R19

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-t...liitta-r3-suv/

Q: Would those tires fit that rim width? I assume so...


The problem for me is all the different variations 7.5-9" widths, tire sizes and what will / won't work which is why I am sticking with the 245/50R19 as that is what is OEM.

I am no tire or wheel guru so be gentle. Looking for other options too....BMW was no help as they just sent me prices on their wheels and no technical info. I don't trust eBay as I have fund that most say the wheels fit the 2018 X3 M40i but have a 5x120 bolt pattern.....Hope the experts here can help

Ultimately, I am needing a good winter rim set for those Nokian. I care more about durability and safety than I do the looks of the rim but having both would be great. I would go BMW OEM but at 1-1.5K more the practicality is not there for a set of wheels that are purely to be beat up during winter.......
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
Pray for Mojo
First Lieutenant
Canada
81
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

8" is the minimum width for 245s, the 8.5" would be fine for that size. Offset of the wheel is the most important, make sure you're buying something with roughly the same ET as your factory wheels.
Appreciate 1
Starz2613.50

      08-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
8" is the minimum width for 245s, the 8.5" would be fine for that size. Offset of the wheel is the most important, make sure you're buying something with roughly the same ET as your factory wheels.
Thanks.

So an offset of 32 would be Ok? I see so many ranges here and think the consensus was around 35...

As an aside where is a good place to learn about this stuff. Sizes, what would, would not work etc. I prefer to understand things more than I feel I do now so a link to a great resource for learning would be nice. (not a calculator, but educational info).

Tireracks mfg methods also seem to be confusing or using different language to make the whole thing muddy. Is flow-forming the same as rim-forming? It also says it is low pressure gravity case/flow forming. So is that decent quality? Forged or multi-piece is a bit much I think for winter only rims I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
nogren
Private
Sweden
15
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 330d xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
8" is the minimum width for 245s, the 8.5" would be fine for that size. Offset of the wheel is the most important, make sure you're buying something with roughly the same ET as your factory wheels.
Thanks.

So an offset of 32 would be Ok? I see so many ranges here and think the consensus was around 35...

As an aside where is a good place to learn about this stuff. Sizes, what would, would not work etc. I prefer to understand things more than I feel I do now so a link to a great resource for learning would be nice. (not a calculator, but educational info).

Tireracks mfg methods also seem to be confusing or using different language to make the whole thing muddy. Is flow-forming the same as rim-forming? It also says it is low pressure gravity case/flow forming. So is that decent quality? Forged or multi-piece is a bit much I think for winter only rims I suspect.
For a 8.5" rim an offset of 32 closer to the factory option, which is 30.

I made this table of what BMW offers:
7JX18 ET:22 (225/60R18)

7,5JX19 ET:32 (245/55R19)

8x20 ET27 (245/45R20)
9,5x20 ET43 (275/40R20)

8,5x21 ET30 (245/40R21)
9,5x21 ET43 (275/35R21)

The rims are more narrow than most aftermarket options. More narrow rims need to carry higher load on smaller surface area, and can be protected more my the tire, for curb scratches.

Some of the "will it fit" calculators contains good help. Just put in the 8.5x21 rim data from above to compare with the option you are looking at.

/n
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:00 AM   #5
verysideways
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
42
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: F31 340i touring, F22 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotswolds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
8" is the minimum width for 245s, the 8.5" would be fine for that size. Offset of the wheel is the most important, make sure you're buying something with roughly the same ET as your factory wheels.
Sorry but this is incorrect.

The BMW specified winter 19" set (as per bmw.de for an X3 M40i) is 7.5"x19" running a 245/50R19 Bridgestone Blizzak RFT.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'19 X3 M40i (on order)
'18 F22 M240i (2 of them, for work)
'16 F56 Mini Cooper S
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:03 AM   #6
verysideways
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
42
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: F31 340i touring, F22 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotswolds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This is good info - as correctly specified, if you are getting an 8.5" rim you want to stay close to the factory offset, which is ET30 as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
For a 8.5" rim an offset of 32 closer to the factory option, which is 30.

I made this table of what BMW offers:
8,5x21 ET30 (245/40R21)
__________________
'19 X3 M40i (on order)
'18 F22 M240i (2 of them, for work)
'16 F56 Mini Cooper S
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:21 AM   #7
nogren
Private
Sweden
15
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 330d xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
This is good info - as correctly specified, if you are getting an 8.5" rim you want to stay close to the factory offset, which is ET30 as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
For a 8.5" rim an offset of 32 closer to the factory option, which is 30.

I made this table of what BMW offers:
8,5x21 ET30 (245/40R21)
Yes, forgot to mention that the offset got nothing to do with the radius of the rim.
So a 8.5x19 ET 30 should be fine, and 245 width of the tire is okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Nindigully
Mostly Harmless
Nindigully's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

I got the OZ SUPERTURISMO DAKAR wheels with OEM sized 245/45R20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, and they look really nice. As people stated, the tires fit just fine (look at the specs section of the tire), but they don't protrude as much as they would on narrower wheels, so there is a better chance of scratches.

The only issue I have (if you can call that a problem) is that the center hub is slightly bigger (70mm?) than OEM, so the wheels will have OZ logo, instead of BMW.
__________________
Mostly Harmless
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Yes, forgot to mention that the offset got nothing to do with the radius of the rim.
So a 8.5x19 ET 30 should be fine, and 245 width of the tire is okay.
So the 32mm offset will not work? How would one know? "close to" is not very specific
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindigully View Post
I got the OZ SUPERTURISMO DAKAR wheels with OEM sized 245/45R20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, and they look really nice. As people stated, the tires fit just fine (look at the specs section of the tire), but they don't protrude as much as they would on narrower wheels, so there is a better chance of scratches.

The only issue I have (if you can call that a problem) is that the center hub is slightly bigger (70mm?) than OEM, so the wheels will have OZ logo, instead of BMW.
Good option but talking about 19" here unless you have a good case for going to 20"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
nogren
Private
Sweden
15
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 330d xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Yes, forgot to mention that the offset got nothing to do with the radius of the rim.
So a 8.5x19 ET 30 should be fine, and 245 width of the tire is okay.
So the 32mm offset will not work? How would one know? "close to" is not very specific
2mm difference is okay. 30 or 32 doesn't matter.

I think it was some good explanations of eventual differences when you put in two setups here:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...#38;offset2=20

/n
Appreciate 1
Starz2613.50

      08-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
verysideways
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
42
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: F31 340i touring, F22 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotswolds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Good option but talking about 19" here unless you have a good case for going to 20"
The 8.5 rim with ET30 (ish) will be fine;
If you go 19 youll need 245/50R19
If you go 20 youll need 245/45R20
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
The 8.5” rim with ET30 (ish) will be fine;
If you go 19” you’ll need 245/50R19
If you go 20” you’ll need 245/45R20
I cannot find any 19" rims (on tire rack that are not just gravity cast) with ET30..The one I listed above is ET32. Not sure how to know if that will be "fine" as well....

Can you define "ish" is it within 3mm, 5mm, or no variance etc. "ish" does not really help that much but would seem to imply that 32mm will work
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
verysideways
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
42
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: F31 340i touring, F22 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotswolds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
I cannot find any rims with ET30..The one I listed above is ET32. Not sure how to know if that will be "fine" as well....

Can you define "ish" is it within 3mm, 5mm, or no variance etc. "ish" does not really help that much but would seem to imply that 32mm will work
Give or take about 5mm will definitely be fine, you may be ok even up to 10mm either way.
If you go lower on the offset then the wheel will sit closer to the outer arch, if you go higher on the offset then the wheel will sit closer to the suspension.
Id be more worried about the suspension.
But, as I said, if the factory ET for 8.5 width wheel is 30mm, then youll be fine from 25mm to 35mm.
32mm is a very good option 👍
Appreciate 1
Starz2613.50

      08-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
2mm difference is okay. 30 or 32 doesn't matter.

I think it was some good explanations of eventual differences when you put in two setups here:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...9-5&offset2=20

/n
Thanks for that. Unfortunately it does not help to understand where the danger zone is and does not provide any feedback other than a "bigger wheel is x closer to the strut". In order ton interpret one would have to already know about these things - Unless I am missing something...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Give or take about 5mm will definitely be fine, you may be ok even up to 10mm either way.
If you go lower on the offset then the wheel will sit closer to the outer arch, if you go higher on the offset then the wheel will sit closer to the suspension.
Id be more worried about the suspension.
But, as I said, if the factory ET for 8.5 width wheel is 30mm, then youll be fine from 25mm to 35mm.
32mm is a very good option 👍
Thank you for the clarification.

Is there a good resources to learn how to take ones own measurements and get a better understanding of all of this. I am the type that likes to know they how and why so that these questions can be answered on my own for any given situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #17
verysideways
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
42
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: F31 340i touring, F22 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotswolds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

Is there a good resources to learn how to take ones own measurements and get a better understanding of all of this. I am the type that likes to know they how and why so that these questions can be answered on my own for any given situation.
If you know the dimensions of the stock wheels and tyres, then this resource will enable you to make quick and easy comparisons;
https://www.willtheyfit.com
By experimenting with the numbers you can quickly extrapolate the relationships between the different numbers.

For example 245/50R19 means the tread is nominally 245mm wide and the sidewall is 50% of the width, and its a Radial construction tyre designed to fit on a 19 wheel.

The offset (ET or IS number) is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the centreline of the wheel, in millimetres.
So an 8 wheel with an ET of 0 would have 4 of backspace behind the mounting face, whereas an ET of 50 (around 2) would have a backspace of 6 behind the mounting face.

Im hesitant to go further - dont want to bombard you with too much info!
Appreciate 1
Starz2613.50

      08-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Starz26
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
If you know the dimensions of the stock wheels and tyres, then this resource will enable you to make quick and easy comparisons;
https://www.willtheyfit.com
By experimenting with the numbers you can quickly extrapolate the relationships between the different numbers.

For example 245/50R19 means the tread is nominally 245mm wide and the sidewall is 50% of the width, and its a Radial construction tyre designed to fit on a 19 wheel.

The offset (ET or IS number) is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the centreline of the wheel, in millimetres.
So an 8 wheel with an ET of 0 would have 4 of backspace behind the mounting face, whereas an ET of 50 (around 2) would have a backspace of 6 behind the mounting face.

Im hesitant to go further - dont want to bombard you with too much info!
All good information, thanks. Its a great starting point..Time to do some in depth reading of my own.

Appreciate all the help and time everyone has put into answer my newbie question.

Those Nokian R2 SUV tires were hard to find too but eventually found them for a great price at tires by web.....Seems the only place in the US that has them at the moment. Still do not know if the quality of the rim I choose is good...This space is not really that transparent IMHO and there are sooo many styles, MFG, etc it is hard to find review of specific items....

Time to stop rambling. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST