BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2023, 01:23 PM   #1
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Going from '21 X3 M40i to '23 X3 M40i

Hey all,
My dealership reached out to me with an unbelievable offer to end the lease on our '21 X3 M40i 8 months early and go to a '23 X3 M40i for just $18 more per month, with only $1500 cap cost reduction due at signing! The '23 will also be about $7K more MSRP than the '21...payment will be $653 on the new 36 month lease so I'm happy. When I leased our '21 X3 M40i, it was optioned the same as below and I only put down $2,500. Payment was set at $635.

When we custom ordered the '21, we didn't get the M Adaptive Sports suspension because after reading the description, it seemed like that would have resulted in a much more firmer, sportier ride and my wife was coming out of a Lexus. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake as the ride in the '21 is super stiff and non-forgiving. Obviously the '23 has this as standard so hoping the ride in Comfort mode at least will be more forgiving. Anyone have experience comparing the ride specifically on a non- M Adaptive suspension going to an X3 with this?

Also kind of disappointed to see that BMW deleted the in-armrest USB port for reading music from a USB thumbstick - we use this alot.

Speaking of music, can someone confirm whether the H/K system amp has been downgraded in any way from the '21? I've read a lot of opinions on this system, but we find it to be really good after spending a lot of time dialing it in. I have the B&W system in my M850 and while that is better, the H/K is certainly not lacking...however I am concerned it has changed in this new model year.

Thank you all for the feedback/input

Our '23 config:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Oyster Vernasca Leather
Red brake calipers (HAD to with dark graphite metallic!)
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Shadowline Package
Parking Assistance Package
Premium Package
Harmon Kardon
19" wheels with All-Season RFTs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
My suggestion is to buy out your '21 X3 and get the 19" wheels separately. With the new deal, you will be getting less for way more money compared to your '21. The higher MSRP would be easier to stomach if you got the same stuff as in your '21 but features have actually been removed!

Your '21 may also be worth more than the current buyout price. The dealer probably hasn't mentioned equity because they are hoping you just turn it in as is. If you have resolved to lease again, then don't forget to ask about the equity! Don't forget that turning it in 8 months early means you're eating about $556 of your original downpayment.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Speaking of music, can someone confirm whether the H/K system amp has been downgraded in any way from the '21? I've read a lot of opinions on this system, but we find it to be really good after spending a lot of time dialing it in. I have the B&W system in my M850 and while that is better, the H/K is certainly not lacking...however I am concerned it has changed in this new model year.
I for one am VERY curious about your thoughts on the H/K in the 23. Mine is simply terrible. I read that pulling the center channel can help - I might do that because everything I read says there is no real fix if you have the H/K.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #4
bbb83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

You're not getting an "unbelievable offer" from any dealership... ever, lets get that out of the way first. You're getting taken hard if you're shopping cars based on monthly payment... 100% every time. Keep the 21 and pay it off. You'll get more money private party then this dealership will ever offer you via this unbelievable offer.
Appreciate 2
EWL5905.50
      05-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb83 View Post
You're not getting an "unbelievable offer" from any dealership... ever, lets get that out of the way first. You're getting taken hard if you're shopping cars based on monthly payment... 100% every time. Keep the 21 and pay it off. You'll get more money private party then this dealership will ever offer you via this unbelievable offer.
Hmmmm..
I had a zero down $983/month offer on an i8 lease - that was pretty unbelievable....
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      05-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Hey all,
My dealership reached out to me with an unbelievable offer to end the lease on our '21 X3 M40i 8 months early and go to a '23 X3 M40i for just $18 more per month, with only $1500 cap cost reduction due at signing! The '23 will also be about $7K more MSRP than the '21...payment will be $653 on the new 36 month lease so I'm happy. When I leased our '21 X3 M40i, it was optioned the same as below and I only put down $2,500. Payment was set at $635.

When we custom ordered the '21, we didn't get the M Adaptive Sports suspension because after reading the description, it seemed like that would have resulted in a much more firmer, sportier ride and my wife was coming out of a Lexus. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake as the ride in the '21 is super stiff and non-forgiving. Obviously the '23 has this as standard so hoping the ride in Comfort mode at least will be more forgiving. Anyone have experience comparing the ride specifically on a non- M Adaptive suspension going to an X3 with this?

Also kind of disappointed to see that BMW deleted the in-armrest USB port for reading music from a USB thumbstick - we use this alot.

Thank you all for the feedback/input

Our '23 config:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Oyster Vernasca Leather
Red brake calipers (HAD to with dark graphite metallic!)
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Shadowline Package
Parking Assistance Package
Premium Package
Harmon Kardon
19" wheels with All-Season RFTs
The HK in my car sounds ok once setup, and it isn’t terrible by any stretch once configured to my taste. Digital source quality is very important though.

I find the Driving Assistant Prof very useful, and this is more advanced than the 21, which only had iDrive 7 lite. The larger iDrive display is also better imo.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2023, 03:28 PM   #7
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

There going to make money off your 2021, that’s why they want you out of your lease early. If it sounds unbelievably then it’s probably in their favor. The features you lose is not worth your it in my opinion. Like someone said keep it and get 19” non run flats.

Just for reference, Sewell BMW is selling a used 2021 X3 M40i for $59,998
Dealers want pre owned vehicles badly still.

Last edited by Bimmerforlife; 05-01-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
EWL5905.50
      05-01-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@All,
I appreciate the replies.
For the record, I am aware of the equity in my '21 - and the dealer knows that I know - I was the one who brought that to the table. I calculated it at $6K - $7K based on recent private sales of '21 X3 M40is configured like mine in my area, and that is as of today.

Of course I am leveraging this equity on the new '23. Of the $6K, he is allowing me $4,000 discount towards the '23, plus the BMW loyalty offer of $1,500 plus a discount on the MSRP and based on what market '21 X3 M40is are going for around here from dealers, he should make upwards of $6-$7.5K on the sell. Maybe $8.5K if he labels it a CPO, which I think he will as our car only has 14K miles and is in pristine condition.
If I buy it outright though, remember I have to pay sales tax (at 8%) so my net equity would be about half the $6K.

The best deal I could find anywhere on Leasehacker for a '23 X3 M40i uses this math:
MSRP of starting base = $60,000
After 6% discount (highest I could find on LH) selling price = $56,400
Taxed incentive = $1,500 (loyalty)
You need to fork over 7 MSDs = $5,250.
Total due at signing = $7,892 (7 MSDs plus $2,759 in taxes, fees, etc.)
Total monthly lease payment (without Boulder County taxes) = $718.00
Link here: Leasehacker Calculator

Now, let's adjust the MSRP to my actual using this same math to reflect my configuration:
MSRP = $69,170
Same everything else
Monthly payment = $835 (again, without Boulder County tax so payment will probably end up around $865 if I had to guess).

My quoted monthly payment INCLUDES all Boulder County taxes, which is $653. Also, I am not having to put down any MSDs. My total out of pocket is $1,500 due at signing - this is the total drive off amount.

The difference between the $835 and mine (missing taxes notwhithstanding) = $182/month. Multiply by 36 months = $6,552 which is about what I would have to put down in addition to the MSDs to get that payment.

I should also mention - the link to the broker's calculator I listed is sold out of X3 M40i deals for the month of May. My dealer only has two allocations for X3 builds, giving me one of them. So all in all, I am pretty happy with the math and given that the best deals to be had in the nation are posted on Leasehacker, I think I stack up pretty well. Especially if I sell our current car, then have to start all over to get anywhere near this kind of deal on a new '23. Using the calculator, in addition to the MSDs I would have to put $6K down to get this monthly. So net 0 financially to me. And, a dealer has to make money so I'm also OK with them getting a positive out of the transaction as well.

But my main concern are the various comments about what features I will be giving up. I already know about the loss of reading music off of a USB, but what else?

I'm gaining the Adaptive M Sport suspension which should result in a more comfortable ride in Comfort mode, improved traffic assist and full iDrive 7...

Last edited by BMWGUYinCO; 05-01-2023 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
@All,
I appreciate the replies.
For the record, I am well aware of the equity in my '21 - and the dealer knows that I know - I was the one who brought that to the table. I calculated it at $6,000 based on recent private sales of '21 X3 M40is configured like mine in my area.

Of course I am leveraging this equity on the new '23. Of the $6K, he is allowing me $4,000 discount towards the '23, (plus the BMW loyalty offer of $1,500) and based on what market '21 X3 M40is are going for around here from dealers, he should make upwards of $5-$6.5K on the sell. Maybe $7K if he labels it a CPO, which I think he will as our car only has 14K miles and is in pristine condition.
If I buy it outright though, remember I have to pay sales tax so my net equity would be a little less than the $6K.

The best deal I could find anywhere on Leasehacker for a '23 X3 M40i uses this math:
MSRP of starting base = $60,000
After 6% discount (highest I could find on LH) selling price = $56,400
Taxed incentive = $1,500 (loyalty)
You need to fork over 7 MSDs = $5,250.
Total due at signing = $7,892 (7 MSDs plus $2,759 in taxes, fees, etc.)
Total monthly lease payment (without Boulder County taxes) = $718.00
Link here: Leasehacker Calculator

Now, let's adjust the MSRP to my actual using this same math to reflect my configuration:
MSRP = $69,170
Same everything else
Monthly payment = $835 (again, without Boulder County tax so payment will probably end up around $65 if I had to guess).

My quoted monthly payment INCLUDES all Boulder County taxes, which is $653. Also, I am not having to put down any MSDs. My total out of pocket is $1,500 due at signing - this is the total drive off amount.

The difference between the $835 and mine (missing taxes notwhithstanding) = $182/month. Multiply by 36 months = $6,552.

I should also mention - the link to the broker's calculator I listed is sold out of X3 M40i deals for the month of May. My dealer only has two allocations for X3 builds, giving me one of them. So all in all, I am pretty happy with the math and given that the best deals to be had in the nation are posted on Leasehacker, I think I stack up pretty well. Especially if I sell our current car, then have to start all over to get anywhere near this kind of deal on a new '23. Using the calculator, in addition to the MSDs I would have to put $6K down to get this monthly. So net 0 financially to me.

But my main concern are the various comments about what features I will be giving up. I already know about the loss of reading music off of a USB, but what else?

I'm gaining the Adaptive M Sport suspension which should result in a more comfortable ride in Comfort mode, improved traffic assist and full iDrive 7...
There is still a data capable usb for music on the centre console.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:25 PM   #10
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Awesome to learn, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #11
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Have you actually driven with the adaptive suspension and compared it to yours without it? Some have posted on here that even in comfort with adaptive the ride is still firm. Tires may have a lot to do with comfort and less bounce in cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:41 PM   #12
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Have you actually driven with the adaptive suspension and compared it to yours without it? Some have posted on here that even in comfort with adaptive the ride is still firm. Tires may have a lot to do with comfort and less bounce in cabin.
That is a fair question and the short answer is no. I was hoping to try on the lot with something, but my dealer had nothing which is why I asked here for some other's opinions.

It's also one of the reasons I stuck with the 19" rims instead of the 20" - when I lease a car I always just come home, take off the OEM tires and get a set of non-rfts which will ride more comfortably, especially on the 19" rims. Then when I turn it in, I just put the OEMs back on so I'm not out a tire purchase at lease turn in.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #13
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

So from my research, comfort in adaptive is softer than non-adaptive, while sport is stiffer than non-adaptive. That being said, during my search for pre-LCI X3 M40i, I felt that the pre-LCI I ended up with non-adaptive that had 19 inch all season Pirelli rode better than the adaptive with 20 inch wheel with Alenza summers that I test drove in comfort mode, while sport mode handled well in normal cornering scenarios (mainly getting off the ramp and doing a P turn) without feeling too stiff. I think it's definitely important to factor in the tire/wheel difference here too.

As for speakers, I honestly think even the base hifi is fine, since I'm more focused on driving and speakers just play what is equivalent to background music, but I am very far from an audiophile.
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      05-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #14
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
So from my research, comfort in adaptive is softer than non-adaptive, while sport is stiffer than non-adaptive. That being said, during my search for pre-LCI X3 M40i, I felt that the pre-LCI I ended up with non-adaptive that had 19 inch all season Pirelli rode better than the adaptive with 20 inch wheel with Alenza summers that I test drove in comfort mode, while sport mode handled well in normal cornering scenarios (mainly getting off the ramp and doing a P turn) without feeling too stiff. I think it's definitely important to factor in the tire/wheel difference here too.

As for speakers, I honestly think even the base hifi is fine, since I'm more focused on driving and speakers just play what is equivalent to background music, but I am very far from an audiophile.
I appreciate the feedback on the adaptive. As I mentioned, our '21 doesn't have it and the ride is REALLY stiff, and I have 19" wheels on soft all season, non-rft rubber. It's honestly the one thing about the car we are anxious to be rid of to be honest.

I'm REALLY hoping the '23 on the 19" wheels with a new set of non-rft all season rubber will be better. I'm not expecting a Lexus ride, but a little more give will go a long way.

Side note: I shod the '21 with Vredestein all season tires - man those are quiet...so in normal driving, the car is great. It's just going off the driveway or speedbumps where we feel the ride is too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #15
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback on the adaptive. As I mentioned, our '21 doesn't have it and the ride is REALLY stiff, and I have 19" wheels on soft all season, non-rft rubber. It's honestly the one thing about the car we are anxious to be rid of to be honest.

I'm REALLY hoping the '23 on the 19" wheels with a new set of non-rft all season rubber will be better. I'm not expecting a Lexus ride, but a little more give will go a long way.
In that case, I'd definitely opt for the adaptive. Adaptive in comfort is the softest you can get.
One thing to keep in mind though is if you spec 19 inch all season from the get go, car won't have increased top speed, but that's probably only useful on track or at drag strips.
      05-01-2023, 06:29 PM   #16
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
In that case, I'd definitely opt for the adaptive. Adaptive in comfort is the softest you can get.
One thing to keep in mind though is if you spec 19 inch all season from the get go, car won't have increased top speed, but that's probably only useful on track or at drag strips.
Thanks chhappy7; the '23 is definitely coming with the adaptive suspension!
And since it will be on all seasons, a reduced top speed is fine by me.
This will be my wife's primary car - she won't need top speed on her 4.5 mile commute to work each way.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Most have said the HK isn’t great in the Lci and have confirmed it’s a lower wattage amp now. Stock stereo is horrific but so much better with Bimmertech’s plug and play amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #18
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Most have said the HK isn’t great in the Lci and have confirmed it’s a lower wattage amp now. Stock stereo is horrific but so much better with Bimmertech’s plug and play amp.
Thanks for the input on the LCI H/K - that's disappointing to hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #19
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
No. The USB port in the center console (USB C) no longer accepts music and only charges. The only USB port (USB A) that takes music now is the one behind the cup holders.

On a '23 model you also lose:

1) Gesture Controls
2) Lashing rails in trunk
3) Accessory lights in the interior (door pockets, etc.)
4) Better HK system
5) Lower fog lights
6) Button from the trunk-side that releases the back row (must access from 2nd row door).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something bc the diff b/w a '20 and a '23 is pretty long!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #20
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

I have the adaptive suspension on my 2020 and I really don't see a much softer ride compared to comfort. Then again, I have 19" non run flats and I don't think the ride is firm at all...quite comfortable in comfort...no real difference in adaptive.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      05-02-2023, 03:58 AM   #21
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Is there any factual information on this change in terms of timing ?

Did this happen when BMW moved to the RAM architecture, as I’ve seen posts discussing this from 2021 (does the op’s 2021 car already have RAM ?) https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797651

My advice to the op is listen with his own ears and make sure the system is setup to his taste rather than default settings, as this and source makes a huge difference. When I see posts about terrible sound it makes me wonder if there’s a fault, as there was a known issue with HK booster amps that required swap out.

Last edited by avi66; 05-02-2023 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      05-02-2023, 06:20 AM   #22
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
No. The USB port in the center console (USB C) no longer accepts music and only charges. The only USB port (USB A) that takes music now is the one behind the cup holders.

On a '23 model you also lose:

1) Gesture Controls
2) Lashing rails in trunk
3) Accessory lights in the interior (door pockets, etc.)
4) Better HK system
5) Lower fog lights
6) Button from the trunk-side that releases the back row (must access from 2nd row door).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something bc the diff b/w a '20 and a '23 is pretty long!
I think you forgot the seat controls. 2021 & older mostly came with lumbar & side adjustment buttons for both driver & passenger on the leather option. For 2022/23 lucky if you get either for driver, usually none for passenger. Even sensatec for 2021 & older got both for driver & passenger. Today only driver gets lumbar and passenger seat is entirely blank.
Appreciate 3
EWL5905.50
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
lfdal541051.00