BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: which one?!

Thumbs down You guys will get a good laugh out of this...

Some of you may remember, we rejected delivery of the first car about 1.5 months ago because the rear quarter had a dent and scratch on it.

Last week, we went to pick up the re-ordered car. All went well... we drove it home (2 miles away) and then kept it in the garage until yesterday when we took the car to Wheel Dynamix to have it clear bra'ed.

When we got home, as we were inspecting the clear bra work, lo and behold, guess what we discovered?

One of the side mirrors was Sapphire Black. Nothing weird, except our car is Jet Black!!!

So we're wondering -- who out there has our Jet Black mirror?!

To the person who said I was being "too picky" and had too high a standard when I complained about the QC at the new NC plant... .*ahem*... case in point.

The dealer confirmed that it came from the factory like this. Now, this really makes me wonder, did they give me a 28 engine instead of a 35? What else did they not check before releasing the car?

R I D I C U L O U S... is all I can say. I am simply flabbergasted.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Interesting, for as expensive as these cars are I also had a manufacturing defect in the rear quarter panel that passed BMWs quality control. Small paint chip, looks like the metal was protruding from the back side. Not big at all but it caused a paint chip and paint spider like cracking. BMW was all over it and took care of it with tenacity. Just have to wonder about QA.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
Interesting, for as expensive as these cars are I also had a manufacturing defect in the rear quarter panel that passed BMWs quality control. Small paint chip, looks like the metal was protruding from the back side. Not big at all but it caused a paint chip and paint spider like cracking. BMW was all over it and took care of it with tenacity. Just have to wonder about QA.
Agreed. Our dealer (Paul and Nik at HC in Boston) have been really great to deal with. Awesome guys, but you're right, the QA/QC at the new plant is a little off... I guess they still have kinks that needs to be sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
To the person who said I was being "too picky" and had too high a standard when I complained about the QC at the new NC plant... .*ahem*... case in point.
North Carolina or South Carolina? I only know of the South Carolina plant, and it's not new. Is there a North Carolina plant now?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Omg...how did that even happen! Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Wow. Just...wow.

Feeling lucky that my car was all the right colour. Good thing they only do one shade of white.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Clear Bra'd?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Clear Bra'd?
It's a film that can be installed on the bumper and parts of the hood to protect against chips. Personally, not a fan. It's hard to clean, and it just looks off to me. But some people love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
It's a film that can be installed on the bumper and parts of the hood to protect against chips. Personally, not a fan. It's hard to clean, and it just looks off to me. But some people love it.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll opt out of that. I actually found a self service car wash down the street today that I plan to use. My apartment complex only has well water available to use for car washing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
My apartment complex only has well water available to use for car washing.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...th+fittings.do

Works great, and I get about a year's worth of washes out of a filter. I'd probably double that if I used it only for rinsing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll opt out of that. I actually found a self service car wash down the street today that I plan to use. My apartment complex only has well water available to use for car washing.
Use this stuff:
http://optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php?li=2
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
Some of you may remember, we rejected delivery of the first car about 1.5 months ago because the rear quarter had a dent and scratch on it.

Last week, we went to pick up the re-ordered car. All went well... we drove it home (2 miles away) and then kept it in the garage until yesterday when we took the car to Wheel Dynamix to have it clear bra'ed.

When we got home, as we were inspecting the clear bra work, lo and behold, guess what we discovered?

One of the side mirrors was Sapphire Black. Nothing weird, except our car is Jet Black!!!

So we're wondering -- who out there has our Jet Black mirror?!

The dealer confirmed that it came from the factory like this. Now, this really makes me wonder, did they give me a 28 engine instead of a 35? What else did they not check before releasing the car?

R I D I C U L O U S... is all I can say. I am simply flabbergasted.
This is unbelievable. You are due some serious compensation for this farce.

I'm checking my mirrors are both titanium silver not mineral silver as soon as i get home!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep

Count me as a fan of the Clear Bra. I'm now back in my home state of California but it was living in NC that was my inspiration. Just felt like there were a ton of rocks on the road and my 335i Convertible had plenty of rock chips on the front and hood - and that was with a silver car. Now that I've got the Deep Sea Blue, the Clear Bra is a no-brainer. So far so good (Touch wood).

http://avoclearbra.com/Fundamentals.html
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelFan View Post
Count me as a fan of the Clear Bra. I'm now back in my home state of California but it was living in NC that was my inspiration. Just felt like there were a ton of rocks on the road and my 335i Convertible had plenty of rock chips on the front and hood - and that was with a silver car. Now that I've got the Deep Sea Blue, the Clear Bra is a no-brainer. So far so good (Touch wood).

http://avoclearbra.com/Fundamentals.html
Agree!!! Especially on a black car, clear bra is a must... rock chips on a black car looks like crap!

I don't understand why people have issues with cleaning / maintaining clear bras, I have it on 3 of my cars, it's really not that difficult to deal with. Only thing is need to be a bit more careful when waxing. Putting blue tape on the edge while waxing does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My question is what are they doing to make it up to you?
      03-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
My question is what are they doing to make it up to you?
Not much other than to pay for the Jet Black mirror to be clear bra'ed.

I told them I am not charging them for taking time off work and gas to go back to the shop again (it's quite far for me), so they should throw in the iPod cable.. LOL... I think it's the least they can do! We'll see.

Sapphire Black mirror on a Jet Black car... I still cannot get over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Hey....sometimes I get a navy blue sock mixed up with a black sock.

I've read you always give BMW six months to workout the kinks on new models.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If people do get issues with their new X3s, they are much more likely to post on a forum like this. The number of issues posted on this forum against the number of X3s that people have taken delivery of already gives me confidence that so far, at least, there really is nothing to worry about.

My main concern is run flats and whether to bother with tyre insurance or not.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I have to agree with sfax, the previous post. Given the number of X3's delivered the quality issues identified above are not of any real concern or of any real major issues to worry about. As for the insurance on the run flat tires, if you can get a reasonable it might just be worth in investment. Given that it does not seem to have been around long enough to determine otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1