BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Few Questions Before Delivery

Hello All,

Mine shows status as "At preparation center", so I am thinking it might be reaching the dealer in a week or two. So before I go in to pickup, I have few questions that I want to clarify.

1. I would like to know if adding a mud flap (both front and rear) will really help to keep the dirt out of vehicle. I initially thought to add them, but when I checked the photos in this website not many have them, so thinking may be we have a reason, so thought to hear from the members.

2. I also would like to hear about the extended warranty options that are provided to US customers by BMW / Dealer and not sure if the amount we pay for them varies between dealership.

3. Also would like to hear about the wheel and tire insurance stuff, I have the standard wheel and tire that comes with the x35i in US, so not sure if having a insurance is really going to help me or not, also would like to hear how much the existing x3 owners paid for this, incase if you have this.

Any inputs on the above areas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Jay
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

1. Don't personally have mudflaps optioned on my X3 nor am I planning on adding them, I just don't like the way they look. With that said mudflaps would certainly help prevent your car from getting dirtier than if you were to not use them. The effectiveness of them really depends on what type of roads you drive on, muddy, rainy, dry. Here in the pacific northwest we get a ton of rain, 8-9 months out of the year and I never really felt the need for mudflaps.

2. I can't remember off the top of my head what prices for the extended warranty are but I'm sure they do vary by dealer. Dealerships make a ton off of these extra options and are usually open to negotiation. Also you are not required to buy the warranty at the time of purchase and can do so anytime before the 4 years are up.

3. Necessity for wheel and tire insurance can depend on many factors such as quality of roads in your area, driving style, type of tire. Tires usually have some type of warranty to them but it's unlikely that the OEM will come with it and require you to buy or replace one of them before you get the warranty.

Some people go through the whole lifetime of their vehicle and never have to replace a tire or wheel due to damage. Speaking from experience the insurance is worth it as I've had to replace 4 tires & 1 rim between the E350 and C300 in my sig. While 2 of the tires were covered under warranty 2 were not and in 4 years time cost over 1k for 2 tires, 1 rim including tax and fees.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Thanks Beyu for your response.

I am thinking to skip on mudflaps for now and regarding extended warranty, not going to take any for now, since I can add one before my factory warranty expires for which I have a lot of time.

For the wheel and tire insurance, I do not live in a area with lot of potholes, highways are mostly good and decent, but local roads are not too good in minneapolis, last summer my friends 535i tire blew off, so I will see how much they ask me for the same and based on that I will decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Also for the 3rd point I found another thread with tons of information, wow, I am glad I joined this online forum, being new to BMW vehicles, I feel very confident day after day, since I started reading the threads in this forum. Thanks to all the members of the forum:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494736
Appreciate 0