BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #67
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Turning Lamps

Just realized last night that the X3 uses the fog lamps as turning lamps in addition to the adaptive headlights.

If you turn on the signal (past the resistance point) the fog lamp on that side turns on after about 1 second and stays on for a couple seconds before turning off. I guess they've estimated when you should signal, enter the corner, and exit the corner. Unless it's also monitoring speed and steering angle. I don't think so, though, because I discovered this when I turned the signal on while sitting in line at a light and noticed it's reflection in the car ahead.

Not sure yet if they activate when just holding the signal stalk before the resistance point or using the three-flash feature.
      02-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #68
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Hm, I'd hope it would be based on speed/angle, and not manual via signal.
I'll be disappointed if via signal.

I've rented cars with turning lamps and they work at low speeds when turning and it's very useful - I drive around twisty mountain roads quite often and it really helps and obviously I'm not indicating when turning on these bends.

The cars I've rented with this feature were far less premium than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #69
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

They turn on in both situations (manual signal and turning angle). At least they do on my '08 X3si.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #70
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind that here you have both the headlights angling to illuminate the path of travel and the fog lamp turning on when the signal is activated (at least). Double coverage and the headlight portion requires nothing other than steering!
      02-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #71
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Had a relatively warm and sunny day today, so I washed the car and applied it's first layer of Zaino. Z-2 followed by Z-6, a little more cure time, and then Z-CS. Didn't have much time today so only got the one layer of Z-2. Hoping for another warm weekend soon to throw down a couple more layers.

When I washed the car I was surprised to see how well it was beading already. I'd gotten the Enviroguard applied post sale. I figured there wasn't much to that and it was more of insurance than actual protection. Might have been wrong. The wheels cleaned up in a flash (something the dealer said the coating helped with) and even the sidewalls were beading even after some time in the Winter muck.

Given that there seemed to be something going on, I passed on the Z-AIO and went straight to the Z-2. Hoping that will get a nice seal for the last bit of Winter until I can get a couple more layers down with another Z-CS topper.

I loved the look of my previous Jet Black cars -- and dig the look of the black X3s some of you have -- but I really, really enjoyed the ease of washing, drying, and protecting this lighter color. I'm sure those same swirls and surfaces variations are still there, but I can't see them anymore and that makes me happy.

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-27-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #72
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took it for a drive through the back country roads in the area of Harper's Ferry yesterday. Smallish farm roads, raiser, hilly, fairly, rough. Was a blast! This car is great fun. So much more like a sedan or coupe than I'd even hoped. Tons of power for accelerating out if turns and up hills. Firm, but comfortable over railroad tracks. Great on a rutted gravel road (put my former 4Runner to shame in terms of traction, speed, and comfort). Traction control worked to provide a satisfying track on the loose gravel w/o any noticeable spin, slide, or loss of acceleration -- I'm sure there was, but all nicely within bounds.

Last edited by Nahoa; 03-27-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #73
abliebowitz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Oh please let us know how the Pdc pick up goes. I wish I did that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #74
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnelly View Post
Congrats and enjoy it!! Can't wait to see good pictures of the Black Nevada interior.
Check mine.
Appreciate 0