BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Closed Thread

04-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #133
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Why they cannot just make the X3 with an electric motor and regular design? Nobody changing exterior for the diesel models compared to gas ones...
Literally the exact thing I thought when I saw this. If we want electric cars to be mainstream, then make them mainstream, not different or "special." This is especially true when the changes usually butcher the overall design and ultimately detract from the product!
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #134
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
249 miles, very good range
So after allowing for reserve capacity, we're talking about a real-world travel radius of about 75 miles per charge.
      04-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #135
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
I know it's a concept but is that front grille functional? Would that contribute to heading in a direction that undermines generations of BMW and their iconic twin kidney grilles? Would love to hear the design reasons for this departure and why the design language within BMW is so conceptually scattered. Compared to i Vision Dynamics, maybe the interior of the grille should have been the same color as the body. That front end at the grille looks like air will hit it like a brick wall and not be very aerodynamic. I will leave that and what if renderings to others.

I will admit it looks good overall but just doesn't seem / feel right. I prefer the massive, over-sized twin kidney grilles on the X7 to this. Just my 2 cents.

Also wondering if the side breathers are active.
I expect they might tone it down for production.

Clearly the shape has been evolving from day one.
Why do these electric cars even need front grills? Especially if there are non-functional. Brand resemblance I guess, but they need to be executed way better.

Function over form. I don't like unnecessary or fake anything on vehicles.
Agreed

Tesla nails it when it comes to no front grill
Huh? :
Attached Images

04-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #136
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
According to another BMW statement, this car is to be the first China-assembled car for export and that BMW doesn't care where it's built. Well, BMW; I do and if it's assembled in China it's off my list.
Me too... If only for geo-political and intellectual property protection reasons.

I guess BMW will be a minority owner of BMW China? When does BMW hand over their EV technology secrets?

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reported that the government of China will be forcing foreign carmakers to disclose their electric vehicle technology secrets before the vehicles are allowed to be sold in China. The current Chinese automotive policy states that a foreign carmaker must form a joint-venture with a Chinese carmaker if the former plans to sell its electric vehicles there, with the Chinese carmaker owning 51% of the joint venture.
      04-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #137
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

i like it. I'd swap wheels on day 1 though lol
      04-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #138
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Oh my god it really does look like a Kia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheBimmer View Post
saw the pic and my first response was "ew" and then - oh...kia
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Oh snaps a fucking new Kia SUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
Look it's a Kia soul!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Not just the grill, the whole front bumper looks like copied from KIA. I think this goggles kidney design may look good with standard vertical fins instead of Kia like mesh grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Actually you have it backward. We are all BMW people and you should go hang on the Kia's forums.

Does Kia have a forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I’ve never looked at a Kia long enough to even know what their grills look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
Kia grill... why???????
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheBimmer View Post
saw the pic and my first response was "ew" and then - oh...kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
Thats one good looking KIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
doesn't look too bad, but what is up with this connecting grill BS? First the 7, now 5, now M2 (which looks awful unless the whole car is black), and now it's literally just one grill. MAJOR Kia Stinger vibes (which I actually think is a very good looking car but not the best compliment for BMW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Haha!

:r epost:

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #139
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
I know it's a concept but is that front grille functional? Would that contribute to heading in a direction that undermines generations of BMW and their iconic twin kidney grilles? Would love to hear the design reasons for this departure and why the design language within BMW is so conceptually scattered. Compared to i Vision Dynamics, maybe the interior of the grille should have been the same color as the body. That front end at the grille looks like air will hit it like a brick wall and not be very aerodynamic. I will leave that and what if renderings to others.

I will admit it looks good overall but just doesn't seem / feel right. I prefer the massive, over-sized twin kidney grilles on the X7 to this. Just my 2 cents.

Also wondering if the side breathers are active.
I expect they might tone it down for production.

Clearly the shape has been evolving from day one.
Why do these electric cars even need front grills? Especially if there are non-functional. Brand resemblance I guess, but they need to be executed way better.

Function over form. I don't like unnecessary or fake anything on vehicles.
Agreed

Tesla nails it when it comes to no front grill
Huh? :
That's gone now !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #140
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I gotta day, the more I look at it and especially after that video, I think the overall design is great. I really like the wheels, although I doubt we will get those exact ones. The grill works, the blue accents, the clean design. Dare I say it look better than the current X3? Okay maybe I won't go that far, but as a modern evolution from the current X3, thumbs up.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      04-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #141
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Why they cannot just make the X3 with an electric motor and regular design? Nobody changing exterior for the diesel models compared to gas ones...
Thats why... see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
I gotta say, it actually looks pretty good. Also, I think the grilles are the correct size unlike the upcoming X7.
      04-27-2018, 01:24 AM   #142
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

iX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Given the new direction, it’s safe to say we will never see the supposed i5

Now the iX5 is decent looking, Why didn't BMW just just stick with this exterior design.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #143
EsquireKnight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

So, BMW's first car built in China for export. This raises a question. Will BMW be offering a "China delivery" counterpart to their European delivery program? Maybe you fly into the area close to the factory and take in the sights. Then traverse your way through China hitting all the best spots, before eventually shipping your new car over to your home port of entry.

"Decide what your perfect China adventure looks like. From Shenyang to Beijing, to everywhere in between, you can create your ultimate China experience. The beauty of the China Delivery Program is that you are in the driver’s seat."
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:42 AM   #144
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Back to the grill again...

Similar grill as on the iX3 Concept but not as bad looking on the M2 Competition Package, but still don't like it. What's the dealio?
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 04-27-2018 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:48 AM   #145
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Cool Back To The Grill

Back to the grill again...

Last edited by DCG; 04-27-2018 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #146
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
Now the iX5 is decent looking, Why didn't BMW just just stick with this exterior design.
That's an artist render and not by BMW...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #147
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsquireKnight View Post
So, BMW's first car built in China for export. This raises a question. Will BMW be offering a "China delivery" counterpart to their European delivery program? Maybe you fly into the area close to the factory and take in the sights. Then traverse your way through China hitting all the best spots, before eventually shipping your new car over to your home port of entry.

"Decide what your perfect China adventure looks like. From Shenyang to Beijing, to everywhere in between, you can create your ultimate China experience. The beauty of the China Delivery Program is that you are in the driver’s seat."
eww, not sure if I'd want to drive in China. it might just be a pickup and dropoff for me.
      04-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #148
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

With this car BMW says clearly that the time for e-vehicles is no longer coming but now. And that's good news, since we can not wait any longer and there's also no reason to wait any longer.

I personally like the design of the new X3 very much. It's really one of the hottest overall designs in the actual BMW line

But I don't think it's intelligent to have an e-car with a weight which requires again so much hp so that it feels handy. This is a stupid waste of energy that we do not necessarily have to repeat now.

Though if this is the way to bring the e-spirit to the people, so it's fine.

I mean we don't have to discuss about the advantages of e-driving. It's so obvious when you drive it, you feel immediately only sorry with every gasoline car. And I'm not even sure if I could escape an i3 with my Z3 3.0 which is not really a slow car.

The game is changing rapidly!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #149
EsquireKnight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330i View Post
eww, not sure if I'd want to drive in China. it might just be a pickup and dropoff for me.
Doesn't look that bad.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #150
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I'm having trouble figuring out why I would want to buy this as a pure electric in 2020, when the ground-up all-electric iNext with a lot of self-driving capability is supposed to be released in 2021. It's not a dedicated all-electric platform, so there are inevitably some compromises in packaging and weight vis-a-vis a Jag iPace, for instance. IF there are cost advantages to using an amortized platform and this car is , say, $20K less than the iPace (and it doesn't have all the Jag electric gremlins), I can see it. On the other hand, I CAN see purchasing it as a PHEV with an electric range on the order of the new Honda Clarity. It would serve all of my ordinary needs as an electric car and I can justify lugging around a full ICE powertrain because it could also serve as a "trip" car. After a 3-year lease, I can see purchasing an all-electric car such as the iNext in 2023 because there might well be an adequate intercity charging network.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #151
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
With this car BMW says clearly that the time for e-vehicles is no longer coming but now. And that's good news, since we can not wait any longer and there's also no reason to wait any longer.

I personally like the design of the new X3 very much. It's really one of the hottest overall designs in the actual BMW line

But I don't think it's intelligent to have an e-car with a weight which requires again so much hp so that it feels handy. This is a stupid waste of energy that we do not necessarily have to repeat now.

Though if this is the way to bring the e-spirit to the people, so it's fine.

I mean we don't have to discuss about the advantages of e-driving. It's so obvious when you drive it, you feel immediately only sorry with every gasoline car. And I'm not even sure if I could escape an i3 with my Z3 3.0 which is not really a slow car.

The game is changing rapidly!
No, the iX3 is using a platform that can have both ICE and be a hybrid and even a EV. This means pretty much a Jack of all trades, but master of none. That is particular negative towards the EV. Because an EV can be build much smarter and be alot more spacious the an ICE with similar size. Look at Tesla or i-pace, or BMW own i3. These are EV from the ground up, i3 even has a Carbon chassi. This iX3 is a much cheaper, boring and halfbaked product, very unlike BMW. Looks like BMW wants to Play safe and try to not invest to much into the future?
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      04-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #152
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

BWM merging with Kia soon?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #153
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
You posting something original soon?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #154
moviebumm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Kia's grill is now better looking than BMW's upcoming grill.
https://www.motor1.com/news/240758/k...se-grille-bmw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post

BWM merging with Kia soon?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread