BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

TPM malfunction

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Got this error tonight while driving. The TPM won't reset and I've never come across this issue before. Not sure if a sensor went bad or it's the module itself. Any way to identify the culprit myself? I am running aftermarket wheels and TPM sensors but this is my first issue with them in the 6 months they've been on the vehicle. I guess I could throw the stock wheels and sensors back on. What a pain. TIA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Dead battery or dead sensor. For sure try switching out the tires. I went through 3 sets of sensors myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Of course the error went away this morning so very likely a faulty battery or sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
tkeirnan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Might be the RDC receiver, but check sensors first.

If you go to a tire shop they should be able to tell you if any of the sensors on the tires have a dead battery or are malfunctioning (some do it for free). If they don't have a problem, it's likely the TPM (RDC) Antena has gone bad - for one reason or another. Not sure what model BMW you have, but you need to find it and, depending on your time and skills, replace it, or fix it.

The one I have, had corrosion because water somehow managed to get inside the device and caused it to fail. After I cut off the top with a blade, I was able to clean the circuit board, test that it worked, and then sealed the receiver again and returned it to its place.

You can see my video here:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeirnan View Post
If you go to a tire shop they should be able to tell you if any of the sensors on the tires have a dead battery or are malfunctioning (some do it for free). If they don't have a problem, it's likely the TPM (RDC) Antena has gone bad - for one reason or another. Not sure what model BMW you have, but you need to find it and, depending on your time and skills, replace it, or fix it.

The one I have, had corrosion because water somehow managed to get inside the device and caused it to fail. After I cut off the top with a blade, I was able to clean the circuit board, test that it worked, and then sealed the receiver again and returned it to its place.

You can see my video here:
Thanks. I have the F97 X3M. Haven't had any issues since but I went to a local tire shop a day later and they used a sensor reader and nothing came back abnormal.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know where the TPM antenna is located on the F97?
Appreciate 0