BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Options for better exhaust sound?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi All -

I have a non-comp X3M and like everyone else...I want a slightly deeper sound.

My previous car was a 340i and I threw a Dinan Midpipe to help create a nice OEM+ tone. Nothing too obvious but subtle enough to really make a different.

I know there are Remus, Dinan and Akra options for actual exhausts but are there any easier midpipe options out there to help deepen the sound a little?

The only exhaust option that I see in the "modest upgrade" range would be to go with the M Performance / OEM Comp Exhaust as the others are a bit too loud for my liking and I'm going on baby #2 in a few months and need something that isn't going to wake the house when I start up the truck in the garage.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If you can find a competition exhaust take off, that would be a great route. I think it sounds fantastic with enough volume to get noticed but doesn't shout look at me or rattle the cage too much. Hitting the exhaust button to turn it off makes it ridiculously quiet too. It's basically the entire reason I went for a Comp although I was going to option seats and wheels regardless.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Lemongrease
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Jahre

you should cop the evolution racing downpipes. i have the comp model but man does it make it sound so much better! A LOT more burbles now too I got mine with the black ceramic coating
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
brochfor
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If you can find a competition exhaust take off, that would be a great route. I think it sounds fantastic with enough volume to get noticed but doesn't shout look at me or rattle the cage too much. Hitting the exhaust button to turn it off makes it ridiculously quiet too. It's basically the entire reason I went for a Comp although I was going to option seats and wheels regardless.
Totally agree! Adjustability of comp exhaust is really convenient. Fairly quiet in comfort mode, loud in sport+. Its my fav part of my X3MC
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Hi All -

My previous car was a 340i and I threw a Dinan Midpipe to help create a nice OEM+ tone. Nothing too obvious but subtle enough to really make a different.

I know there are Remus, Dinan and Akra options for actual exhausts but are there any easier midpipe options out there to help deepen the sound a little?

The only exhaust option that I see in the "modest upgrade" range would be to go with the M Performance / OEM Comp Exhaust as the others are a bit too loud for my liking and I'm going on baby #2 in a few months and need something that isn't going to wake the house when I start up the truck in the garage.

I've got a comp exhaust I'm willing to sell, but I wouldn't want to think of what shipping costs would be for the darn thing lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Hi All -

Where are you at anyway?
Can't seem to pull it out off your profile.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brochfor View Post
Quote:
Totally agree! Adjustability of comp exhaust is really convenient. Fairly quiet in comfort mode, loud in sport+. Its my fav part of my X3MC
I guess it should be said though that cold start is kind of loud and you can't quiet that down except with coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
nicolasmora
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Is the competition exhaust really different than the regular exhaust? I have looked for the part numbers and they look the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmora View Post
Is the competition exhaust really different than the regular exhaust? I have looked for the part numbers and they look the same to me.
They are different part numbers. The standard exhaust is 18308093531 and the comp one is 18308093532. The comp ones internals are slightly different. They also have different actuators that control the flap. The standard one is 18307851568 and the comp is 18308746829. Not sure if just swapping actuators would do anything.

I'm also interested in doing a resonator and/or secondary cat delete to give my base exhaust a little more growl. If I go this route I want to do it without sawing off the resonator and cat and go with a proper center section from one of the reputable after market companies. You pay a premium for that but I've done the whole hacking and welding thing before and it's just not for me again. My only concern is I'm already noticing some NVH and buzzing in the vehicle since the temps have dropped here in MD.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #10
nicolasmora
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Quote:
They are different part numbers. The standard exhaust is 18308093531 and the comp one is 18308093532. The comp ones internals are slightly different. They also have different actuators that control the flap. The standard one is 18307851568 and the comp is 18308746829. Not sure if just swapping actuators would do anything.

I'm also interested in doing a resonator and/or secondary cat delete to give my base exhaust a little more growl. If I go this route I want to do it without sawing off the resonator and cat and go with a proper center section from one of the reputable after market companies. You pay a premium for that but I've done the whole hacking and welding thing before and it's just not for me again. My only concern is I'm already noticing some NVH and buzzing in the vehicle since the temps have dropped here in MD.
Thank you for clarifying this for me
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Although sound is very subjective, I agree.

I really like my comp exhaust and the ability to make it aggressive or tame.

My only gripe is that I feel BMW should have allowed you to set the default mode or at least remember what it was.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

One of the big reasons I went with a comp over the regular M. There is a post somewhere that has some good videos of both versions. Most definitely there is a dofference
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
nicolasmora
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
Quote:
Hi All -

I've got a comp exhaust I'm willing to sell, but I wouldn't want to think of what shipping costs would be for the darn thing lol.
Where are you located and how much?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #14
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
One of the big reasons I went with a comp over the regular M. There is a post somewhere that has some good videos of both versions. Most definitely there is a dofference
I just tap the M button before the ignition. Then it starts up just how I like it.
Appreciate 7
pluckydks621.50
NVETHIS55.50
Mikiee27.50
tonyte5.00
e90Luis68.00
Dobie Dog738.50
robopp1677.50
      12-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #15
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Where are you located and how much?
PM sent
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #16
e90Luis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
I just tap the M button before the ignition. Then it starts up just how I like it.
Learned something new today.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
I have been quickly tapping M button right after ignition...but THIS. This is a game changer!!! Thanks

-NVE
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #18
codelinx
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp/Pythonic Blue/BLK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemongrease View Post
you should cop the evolution racing downpipes. i have the comp model but man does it make it sound so much better! A LOT more burbles now too I got mine with the black ceramic coating
This is good to hear, i just ordered mine a few days ago, but I am waiting for my next x3mc to be run off the production floor.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #19
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVETHIS View Post
I have been quickly tapping M button right after ignition...but THIS. This is a game changer!!! Thanks

-NVE
I do this (put it into M mode before starting) and shamefully blip the gas and love the sound - even with the flaps open it doesn't really open until you give it a bit of gas.

Last edited by sd306; 12-12-2020 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #20
1Volfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2000 M Roadster

Didn’t know you could do this before hitting the ignition button but tried tonight and sho nuff! Thanks spirit!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #21
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Volfan View Post
Didn't know you could do this before hitting the ignition button but tried tonight and sho nuff! Thanks spirit!
My pleasure!

BEHOLD the awesome power of the forum!
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #22
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
My pleasure!

BEHOLD the awesome power of the forum!
Shared knowledge is a very good thing.......
Appreciate 1