BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #23
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Trackhawk on order
That is going to be a beast - will be interested in your thoughts when you have it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
S58 is now being said to have 475 hp in the X3M. Not sure if that is with the Competition package or not though.
Sure hope they can allow it to have close to 500 HP. At least based on this analysis that would place it just below the beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Oh please send some reference/information on this. 475HP may just be enough to get the X3M into the mix but not to the top. Competition Package? Really? Feed us information!!!
I'll have to read up on Competition packages and what they provide. Is it just HP increase or other mods as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
ynguldyn clarified that that is without ZCP in a follow-up post. So, as I said in that thread, 500hp for ZCP seems pretty realistic. If we assume the same ~4.5% increase the S55 gets w/ZCP ECU tune today, that would put the S58 w/ZCP tune @ ~496hp. It’s not much of a stretch to 500hp, but even if they don’t quite go that high, it’s almost sure to be 490hp+.
As competitive as this segment has become, it would seem wise for BMW to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
I'll have to read up on Competition packages and what they provide. Is it just HP increase or other mods as well?
It has varied over the years (first offered for the E46 M3), but generally there are changes to the engine, chassis, and aesthetics.

Here are the details of the current M3/M4 competition package:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1214853

Depending on your point of view, the package may have varying degrees of appeal, and that tends to provoke some spirited debate including whether or not the name of the package is truly befitting of the content. One thing that is clear, though, is that BMW knows their market because they seem to make the package just compelling enough to justify for the majority of buyers (sell-through is as high as 80% in some markets, IIRC). At the core, the business rationale appears primarily to be to keep up with their competitors - AMG has their "S" upgrade model while Audi has something similar with their (albeit spotty) "RS Performance" offerings.

The X3 M will be the first BMW SAV with the ZCP (or just "CP" in other markets) option. I suspect it will be very popular just as it is with the M coupe and sedan crowd.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00
      12-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #25
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
That is going to be a beast - will be interested in your thoughts when you have it!
For sure. I plan to put up some videos on my channel of how it compares to other cars. I am curious how it compares to my buddies GTR In terms of acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:14 AM   #26
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Urus looks impressive.

on a side note: comic sans font? Only acceptable for Timmy's 6th bday invitation where there will be a clown. In like 1993.
Max Well4713.00
      01-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #27
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Urus looks impressive.

on a side note: comic sans font? Only acceptable for Timmy's 6th bday invitation where there will be a clown. In like 1993.
Thanks, Tallest - it has been an interesting project. Still searching for the Urus' Cd but nothing reported yet that I can find.

Regarding the 'side note' - I had to look up your reference as I've never used that font. The two fonts I use routinely are Century Schoolbook, which has a more formal look for other projects, and Chief Blueprint, which is the font you reference for this project. I have used it over the years when designing our homes with Chief Architect (Home Designer Pro most recently). It provides an easy-to-read informal look when sharing plans with Builders and Subcontractors, but to be honest, I've never really paid much attention to fonts. After reading your comment I searched the web, though, and it appears your font has garnered quite a lot of debate over the years from folks interested in such!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #28
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Still searching for the Urus' Cd so the spreadsheet can be completed, but have yet to find. Did come across this link today though which shares two videos of the Urus, one with an engine start. https://www.motor1.com/news/228187/l...karound-video/
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Added Range Rover SVAutobiography to the spreadsheets and updated a few missing items on other SAVs. Still lacking Porsche New Cayenne models' 1/4-mile speeds, the Stelvio Quad 1/4-mile time and speeds, and the Cd and 1/4-mile times for the Urus. Once that Cd is known I can calculate the 140mph HP required and will obtain the P-SAVIE. Plan to also add the Rolls Royce Cullinan when it is released and data available. And suspect will need to make room for the Bugatti Megalon at some point. Quite a competitive segment indeed...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #30
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

And I'll also need to add the Ferrari SAV (internal code FX16), which may be released by late 2019, and the Aston Martin DBX (by 2019 as well).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ferrari...crown-targeted
https://www.motor1.com/news/227388/f...rive-look-dna/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ed-2019-launch
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #31
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Over on the X3M forum I started a Qtr Mile thread to get a feel for what the X3M might bring to the table with either 460 HP or 490 HP rated engines. But to view it alone doesn't provide much perspective, so I've worked on compiling many of the 'performance SAVs' most often referenced. Appreciation to Gudus and kozzi for mentioning others to be included. I've sorted based on different variables which highlights certain models over others. If you see errors, please share the data and your source. Thanks.
Brilliant work! Any chance you might be willing to share the raw data in a Google Sheet? Just the raw data; doesn't need to be sorted by any particular measures.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00
      02-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #32
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
Brilliant work! Any chance you might be willing to share the raw data in a Google Sheet? Just the raw data; doesn't need to be sorted by any particular measures.
Thanks, MostlyHarmless, and congratulations on your order. I'm a bit old school so I don't use any Social Media (Google, Facebook, Twitter... - although I guess this could be considered a form of such in a way). I looked up 'Google Sheet' and it appears I would need to have some sort of account to use it and then post it, so apologies I don't wish to go there. Feel free to use the data found in the jpegs, though, and set it up if you wish. As most here on the Forum know I don't care about ownership issues, but the Forum has guidelines I suspect.

If anyone finds new or corrected information you wish to add to the sheets just share your data and the link and I'll be pleased to re-run the sheets.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #33
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Spreadsheets updated to now include the Urus' Cd (which allows HP-for-140mph and P-SAVIE to be calculated). Also added rows for the future Cullinan, FX16, and DBX models for perspective on how this competitive field is expanding.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #34
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

this seems like an impressive amount of work, nice! fun to look at all those cars, but a lot of them aren't fairly matched! pick on the X3 with someone its' own size haha.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00
      03-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #35
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
this seems like an impressive amount of work, nice! fun to look at all those cars, but a lot of them aren't fairly matched! pick on the X3 with someone its' own size haha.
Thanks, Casotakar. That they aren't all fairly matched is actually what inspired me to begin this project. One frequently reads about the comparisons of the X3 to the Macan, yet I never understood that as the Macan's cargo vol is more similar to the X4 and some of MB's offerings. Since cargo volume is key for me, I needed some way to keep all of this straight in my mind, hence it began.

And then Gudus and kozzi and then mkoesel mentioned other SAVs which might be helpful to include, and, well, there you have it.

I suspect although most folks on this Forum appreciate the precise design and engineering found in all of these models, we probably have different views on which factors are most important to us when purchasing one. Some may only look at the 0-60 times chart, others mainly the cargo vol, and some as myself may wish to start with the global parameter (P-SAVIE) in their comparisons, And certainly we all desire excellent handling, road feel, interior luxury, infotainment... as well, but I didn't wish to get into those subjective categories for this project.
Appreciate 3
Gudus16.50
kozzi927.00
      03-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #36
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Maybe it's not time to add just yet (and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before) but the Jaguar F-Pace SVR is looking really nice!

570 HP!!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...py-photos-news
Attached Images

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00
      03-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #37
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Maybe it's not time to add just yet (and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before) but the Jaguar F-Pace SVR is looking really nice!
570 HP!!!
Indeed it does, kozzi! I had also placed these charts on the X3M Forum inside the X3M 1/4 Mile thread for ease of comparison when looking at the X3M's performance, and I mentioned the SVR there. At 570HP it's P-SAVIE will undoubtedly push it to Number 1 in that global parameter's rankings, even above the Trackhawk, thanks in part to its large cargo volume and aerodynamic form and rather lightweight curb weight.

It seems if BMW releases the X3M at only 450HP or less (as some online stories continue to suggest) it will be at a perceived disadvantage from the start.. I'm hoping they will allow it to enter the market with a minimum (non-ZCP) 490+ HP and go from there.

What I don't know - to what HP can this engine be maximally tuned?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #38
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Updated Chart

I posted this yesterday in the X3M sub-forum, but thought I should update this thread as well.
Quote:
After watching this Qtr mile race between a Tesla Model X P100D, Lamborghini Urus, MB AMG G63, and RR Sport SVR, it seemed reasonable to compile the Tesla's data into the summary chart. This is my first time researching the Model X so it caught me by surprise. It now tops the P-SAVIE given it's high HP, insanely quick 0-60s, good-sized cargo vol, and remarkable aerodynamics with a Cd of only 0.25.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #39
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Updated Chart data, which includes Maserati's introduction of two, more powerful Levante models.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
kozzi927.00
      01-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #40
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Thanks OP for keeping this evergreen!

Wondering if it's worth to add a column of MSRP just so we can get a quick glance of performance/cost.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00