BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2024, 05:37 PM   #89
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
I bought custom exhaust tips from these guys and their workmanship is absolutely top notch. I am gonna start conversations about this kit.
It is pricey but seems to be more logical than the solid einhorn.

https://www.fjmotorwerkes.net/produc...fj-motorwerkes
Ignoring the cost, it seems this is at least keying in on what seems to be the major issue - to prevent bolt bending and fracturing (while still allowing motion to minimize NVH)? I have zero financial interest in this firm, and honestly had never heard of them until this was shared. But, since it seems the shear forces are centered around that 1-1/2" zone, and if some motion is actually a good thing for the NVH, and if this is a 'stronger' (based on their specs) stabilizing connection, then it seems this logically would be a compromise? Rather than trying to solidify the bushing?

Just putting another thought out there...
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 05:53 PM   #90
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///LBB Rav View Post
The BMW mechanics did actually say that the solid einhorn wasn’t causing any damage to the transfer case and more recently a guy called Rob pulled apart his rear diff to inspect and it seemed like it was doing well too.

Can you link the source of the statement?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 05:55 PM   #91
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Ignoring the cost, it seems this is at least keying in on what seems to be the major issue - to prevent bolt bending and fracturing (while still allowing motion to minimize NVH)? I have zero financial interest in this firm, and honestly had never heard of them until this was shared. But, since it seems the shear forces are centered around that 1-1/2" zone, and if some motion is actually a good thing for the NVH, and if this is a 'stronger' (based on their specs) stabilizing connection, then it seems this logically would be a compromise? Rather than trying to solidify the bushing?

Great argument. I sent this to them and asked them for the testing documentation (which I doubt they'll share since its proprietary) and install procedure.

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
Max Well4787.00
      04-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #92
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, E36 M3

Quote:

This is it right here. The ONLY bushing that might stand a chance of no NVH would be a softer type urethane bushing like the powerflex purple types. But depending on the car, even with that you might get some NVH. I've used powerflex purple diff bushings in my e30's and e36's and haven't experienced an NVH increase. But these are old bimmers with a certain level of NVH from the factory. You might certainly notice it in the newer more isolating cars.

The bolt portion of that FJ kit looks an awful lot like Ryan Morard's 14mm diff bolt kit hahah.

After I tested and realized the VTT Diff Lockdown was not for me, I went on the Facebook X3M group to dig into other options, and that's where I stumbled onto Ryan's solutions. He has 3, a 12mm bolt kit (the original), a 14mm bolt kit, and a full urethane bushing kit. Unless I am mistaken, I think he was the first person to develop a solution with the 12mm bolt kit and then the 14mm. Anyway, I have the 14mm kit on the way.

Appreciate 3
Jnat428.00
Max Well4787.00
      04-24-2024, 10:04 PM   #93
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M (Pre-LCI)

Quote:
Can you link the source of the statement?
Was something they mentioned verbally when I picked up the car. As for Rob’s diff condition it was posted on the x3m/x4m owners page on fb
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 06:15 AM   #94
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
This is it right here. The ONLY bushing that might stand a chance of no NVH would be a softer type urethane bushing like the powerflex purple types. But depending on the car, even with that you might get some NVH. I've used powerflex purple diff bushings in my e30's and e36's and haven't experienced an NVH increase. But these are old bimmers with a certain level of NVH from the factory. You might certainly notice it in the newer more isolating cars.

The bolt portion of that FJ kit looks an awful lot like Ryan Morard's 14mm diff bolt kit hahah.

After I tested and realized the VTT Diff Lockdown was not for me, I went on the Facebook X3M group to dig into other options, and that's where I stumbled onto Ryan's solutions. He has 3, a 12mm bolt kit (the original), a 14mm bolt kit, and a full urethane bushing kit. Unless I am mistaken, I think he was the first person to develop a solution with the 12mm bolt kit and then the 14mm. Anyway, I have the 14mm kit on the way.
Yup, he really was the first one to introduce a solution, and he now has the full poly front/rear setup as well.

Is your account still messed up!? I can't send you a PM lol
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 07:41 AM   #95
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
Yup, he really was the first one to introduce a solution, and he now has the full poly front/rear setup as well.

Is your account still messed up!? I can't send you a PM lol
Yup! It sure is hahah. Do you have instagram? @turbostratik
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:48 AM   #96
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:

Bimma, can you share why the vargas was not for you? Also, can you share the Ryan's solutions solution?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:49 AM   #97
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Was something they mentioned verbally when I picked up the car. As for Rob’s diff condition it was posted on the x3m/x4m owners page on fb

Thanks for the info. I dont do farcebook so I'll trust you guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:45 AM   #98
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Rob just had a real u-joint put into his driveshaft too, instead of the CV joint, so that thing is gonna be legit.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 07:35 AM   #99
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Great argument. I sent this to them and asked them for the testing documentation (which I doubt they'll share since its proprietary) and install procedure. Thanks for sharing
Quote:
This is it right here. The ONLY bushing that might stand a chance of no NVH would be a softer type urethane bushing like the powerflex purple types. But depending on the car, even with that you might get some NVH… The bolt portion of that FJ kit looks an awful lot like Ryan Morard's 14mm diff bolt kit...
Thought some of FJ’s description from TacosRule!'s link was interesting:

‘Our upgraded bolt is over 37% stronger than the BMW revised bolt and significantly more durable than the original BMW part. To be precise our bolt can take 170,000 psi pressure (Extreme strength bolt)… Bmw are aware of issue, they have revised bolt in 2021/22 but unfortunately it’s proven unsuccessful.’

I didn’t realize BMW revised this bolt in 2021/2022? So that implies at least all LCIs should have the ‘upgraded’ OEM bolt c/w pre-LCIs? When was the switch to the upgraded bolt made during factory production?

Are any of the 70 owners who apparently installed the FJ improved version on the forum so they can share their experience (realizing we’ll hopefully get Bimma360's thoughts after he installs a similar system)?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:59 AM   #100
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bimma, can you share why the vargas was not for you? Also, can you share the Ryan's solutions solution?

Thank you
It's just the NVH and what I am willing to accept on this particular car. VTT describes the NVH as "little to none," and I think it's more like "little to some." Essentially, their lockdown brace amplifies engine resonance in the cabin. In other words it makes your engine sound louder. At low RPM, its "little." Above 3K RPM its "some." Under deceleration in the 4000 - 3200 RPM range there is a pretty pronounced growl/whine. I drive the car in manual 99.9% of the time, and with the way I drive I tend to decelerate through that range pretty often.

Generally speaking, the NVH is not bad. Hearing and feeling your engine a bit more might be a good thing for some. Especially if you have a louder exhaust. Just depends on what you want out of your car. For me, it turns out, only very little is acceptable on this car. The lockdown brace, to me, makes the car feel a bit more crude. I have plenty of old BMW's, I don't need this one to feel like one too. Haha actually the more I drive this thing the more I can't wait to rip this thing out.

As far as Ryan's solutions go. You just have to reach out to him on Facebook. He doesn't have a website or anything. The 14mm bolt kit I pictured in my earlier post is one of his solutions. It's essentially a stronger than OEM bolt, with a new steel sleeve to further increase strength vs stock. My view on all of this now is that I need to retain the factory bushing. So the only solution left is focus on the bolt itself. And for the sake of argument, let's say this isn't a permanent solution but buys me a few years (not saying that it's not). I would much rather replace or check on the bolt and sleeve every few years, then have to live with NVH.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 08:03 AM   #101
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t realize BMW revised this bolt in 2021/2022? So that implies at least all LCIs should have the ‘upgraded’ OEM bolt c/w pre-LCIs? When was the switch to the upgraded bolt made during factory production?
I saw some pics of the revised bolts. Visually you can spot them as they are fully threaded vs the old bolts. Don't know if that's a fix or not. Some people say its not, but I take everything online with a giant grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #102
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

So i have the VTT diff bolt insert only installed and assuming it helps stop lauch breakage that's great. I expected some more NVH because of the mod but i'm surprised at the amplification of driveline clunk on/off pedal and drive to reverse or park to drive. It can't be the spline because i didn't have to drop the diff to install, not sure i like the clunk and may have to consider going with just a bolt solution. What's others thoughts on this? Has anyone been able to have the insert/solid or upgrade bushing install without developing the driveline engage clunk?
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:31 AM   #103
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
I thought about asking them to re-do it but interestingly after the Einhorn was removed and they put in the new oem bushing, there was no clunk or clicking at all, as they had done the loctite to fix the click before I installed the Einhorn. So I suspect that the loctite on the splines was still holding okay given I had no clicking after OEM bushing was reinstalled after the Einhorn was removed. A little while after the VTT kit was installed, the clunk came back and I know that the diff was hardly moved up to install the VTT inserts so doubt that it would have broken that loctite bond. But now you’ve got me thinking and potentially will book it in again to get it re-done anyway - no harm in it!
Who knew loctite would play such an important role on a bmw 🤣
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 01:12 PM   #104
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
As far as Ryan's solutions go. You just have to reach out to him on Facebook. He doesn't have a website or anything.
Would you mind sharing a link to it? I'll have someone with an account reach out.

Quote:
The 14mm bolt kit I pictured in my earlier post is one of his solutions. It's essentially a stronger than OEM bolt, with a new steel sleeve to further increase strength vs stock. My view on all of this now is that I need to retain the factory bushing. So the only solution left is focus on the bolt itself. And for the sake of argument, let's say this isn't a permanent solution but buys me a few years (not saying that it's not). I would much rather replace or check on the bolt and sleeve every few years, then have to live with NVH.
Thanks for the info. I went thru the post and didnt see the bolt kit you posted. Mind posting again please?

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #105
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thought some of FJ’s description from TacosRule!'s link was interesting:

‘Our upgraded bolt is over 37% stronger than the BMW revised bolt and significantly more durable than the original BMW part. To be precise our bolt can take 170,000 psi pressure (Extreme strength bolt)… Bmw are aware of issue, they have revised bolt in 2021/22 but unfortunately it’s proven unsuccessful.’

Are any of the 70 owners who apparently installed the FJ improved version on the forum so they can share their experience (realizing we’ll hopefully get Bimma360's thoughts after he installs a similar system)?

FJ replied to the questions I sent them:

"Lets get to the interesting questions. Our bolt kit as been tested on over 50+ vehicles. 0% fail rate. We may not brang and boost or have a big name as our competitors however what we can gurantee from our kit is zero noise and steady for daily driving. Within the UK we supply some of the biggest names in the tuning industry. Our bush bolt collar kit is able to withstand 170,000 psi pressure. Our personal 830bhp X3M has had zero issues we launched this vehicle over 25+ times and set records between 2021-2023 without issues.

So confident in our product I would offer you lifetime replacements if any issues. Buy once and buy right."

Make out of that what you will.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Diff bush bolt kit V2.pdf (159.6 KB, 40 views)
Appreciate 1
Max Well4787.00
      04-26-2024, 01:18 PM   #106
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I went thru the post and didnt see the bolt kit you posted. Mind posting again please?
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=92
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:19 PM   #107
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post

dont see the picture of the kit Bimma mentioned he posted: "The 14mm bolt kit I pictured in my earlier post is one of his solutions."
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:52 PM   #108
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind sharing a link to it? I'll have someone with an account reach out.

Haha what's with you and Facebook? The pic in my post is a url from Facebook, so I am guessing for some reason you can't see it. Do you have instagram?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #109
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha what's with you and Facebook? The pic in my post is a url from Facebook, so I am guessing for some reason you can't see it. Do you have instagram?
I do not have instagram either. I dont like domestic companies spying on me, hoard my data and/or resell it. Only foreign entities...

(sarcasm)

LOL

I work in Networking/Security for a state gov so yea, there is no definition of social media in my lexicon
Appreciate 2
95wildtt847.50
DBU234.00
      04-26-2024, 02:47 PM   #110
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I do not have instagram either. I dont like domestic companies spying on me, hoard my data and/or resell it. Only foreign entities...

(sarcasm)

LOL

I work in Networking/Security for a state gov so yea, there is no definition of social media in my lexicon
Haha I guess I can't argue with that. Here is Ryan's profile...

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.morard1
Appreciate 0