BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2023, 07:54 PM   #265
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nityrider View Post
Hi,
Do you have spacers all around this your current wheels/tires setup? If so what size?
Only in the front. They are 20x9.5 et25 with 8mm spacers for an effective et17.
      04-17-2023, 08:52 PM   #266
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Only in the front. They are 20x9.5 et25 with 8mm spacers for an effective et17.
Makes sense now, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:49 AM   #267
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Custom Carbon Fiber Crossover Pipe for RK Tunes Intakes

I'm super excited to finally share a product that has been in the works for months. Many people dislike the look of the RK Tunes Intake silicone cross over pipe. While it functions great, the design is not the prettiest. Until now!

My good friend Andy designed a matte carbon fiber cross over pipes that replace the top silicone portion of the RK intake. It's 100% hand made in the USA. Its designed to mount directly into the OE accordion turbo inlet on the left side. Then simply cut the RK intake and slide in the opposing end and clamp it down. The install is super simple. It drastically changes the look inside the engine bay and fits like a glove. The ID at each end is equivalent to the RK silicone ID and the largest portion is is slightly larger than RK. You can reuse the passenger side RK clamp to mate the two on the driver side.

Pricing will be roughly $399. This is the first production unit but he plans to run a small batch very soon if anyone is interested.

Before:

After:

Does your buddy have any more of these crossover pipes available?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #268
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

First & Only Stock Turbo X3M Running a 9s 1/4 Mile & New Stock Turbo World Record!

It's been quite a while since I've updated any performance times in here. In the background I've been working endlessly with Paul Johnson to really dial in my car for the current setup. Ever since the downpipes were installed we've been working on new boost control methods, new launch control methods and overall drivability enhancements to really push the S58-1 platform.

In doing so I am insanely excited to share that I have not only reset the 1/4 mile world record for stock turbo X3M/X4M but I'm also the ONLY stock turbo to run a 9 second pass! This puts me the 2nd fastest x3m in the world behind my buddy Joe who has upgraded turbos, port injection etc.

I owe a massive thanks to Paul for being so committed to this platform and taking the time to push it further and further. I'm not too sure what will be next for me since I never thought this car would be running 9s to begin with but I can proudly say this won't be the end! Many track days to come!

2020 X3M Comp
- Stock turbo
- Stock fueling
- Stock engine, trans, drivetrain

- F80 Paul custom E50 tune
- Xhp Stage 3 TCU
- ER catted downpipes
- GT Haus catback exhaust
- RKtunes intakes
- KW v3 coilovers
- 20" Advan GT wheels
- 275/40 & 315/35 Nitto NT555rii tires
- Passenger and rear seats removed

Beautiful morning in Mexico

Back to Back 9s passes

Dragy video (couldn't contain the excitement )

And for those that despise removing interior, here is a full weight run in 2600DA, uphill. I am very confident in saying it will do a 10.0 - 10.1 with full interior.
      05-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #269
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First & Only Stock Turbo X3M Running a 9s 1/4 Mile & New Stock Turbo World Record!

It's been quite a while since I've updated any performance times in here. In the background I've been working endlessly with Paul Johnson to really dial in my car for the current setup. Ever since the downpipes were installed we've been working on new boost control methods, new launch control methods and overall drivability enhancements to really push the S58-1 platform.

In doing so I am insanely excited to share that I have not only reset the 1/4 mile world record for stock turbo X3M/X4M but I'm also the ONLY stock turbo to run a 9 second pass! This puts me the 2nd fastest x3m in the world behind my buddy Joe who has upgraded turbos, port injection etc.

I owe a massive thanks to Paul for being so committed to this platform and taking the time to push it further and further. I'm not too sure what will be next for me since I never thought this car would be running 9s to begin with but I can proudly say this won't be the end! Many track days to come!

2020 X3M Comp
- Stock turbo
- Stock fueling

- Xhp Stage 3 TCU
- ER catted downpipes
- RKtunes intakes
- KW v3 coilovers
- 20" Advan GT wheels

Beautiful morning in Mexico

Back to Back 9s passes

Dragy video (couldn't contain the excitement )

And for those that despise removing interior, here is a full weight run in 2600DA, uphill. I am very confident in saying it will do a 10.0 - 10.1 with full interior.
Massive massive congratulations!! This is impressive !! That think is really moving!!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #270
AJFIllinois
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Wow

I've been trying to decide on a custom tuner. I think you just made the decision for me.

This is bananas.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #271
Y0jjimb0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3, '20 F97 X3M

Super impressive. Are you using a dyno for the custom tuning or doing street pulls for data logs?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #272
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0jjimb0 View Post
Super impressive. Are you using a dyno for the custom tuning or doing street pulls for data logs?
Yes, was just about to ask this!

Quote:

2020 X3M Comp
- Stock turbo
- Stock fueling

- Xhp Stage 3 TCU
- ER catted downpipes
- RKtunes intakes
- KW v3 coilovers
- 20" Advan GT wheels
Also are you using any flex fuel kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:38 PM   #273
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0jjimb0 View Post
Street tuned
Quote:
Yes, was just about to ask this!

Also are you using any flex fuel kit?
I run a fuel it ethanol sensor but i'm not on a flex tune. I just use the sensor to ensure my local pumps don't change drastically in ethanol content.
      05-19-2023, 03:02 PM   #274
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
you're a freakin mad lad. well done.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #275
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
you're a freakin mad lad. well done.
Thank you man! I really never thought it was possible haha
      05-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #276
AttaQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Massive congrat's! Bonkers!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-20-2023, 03:09 AM   #277
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

These are outstanding numbers Brock & one impressive stock turbo F97 X3 M. Well done man!
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #278
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttaQ View Post
Massive congrat's! Bonkers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
These are outstanding numbers Brock & one impressive stock turbo F97 X3 M. Well done man!
Thanks guys!
      05-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #279
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Bmw 135

The goat!!
2016 BMW X6
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 04:12 PM   #280
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Street tuned

I run a fuel it ethanol sensor but i'm not on a flex tune. I just use the sensor to ensure my local pumps don't change drastically in ethanol content.
Sorry I am a bit confused. You do have a custom E60 tune from Paul correct? If I understand correctly based on what you said above, he tuned for exactly E60 and the ethanol sensor will tell you the percentage of ethanol in the fuel so that you know you're running the correct fuel for what the car is tuned for. Am I correct?

So on a separate question if you had the BM3 flex fuel kit, a flex tune will read the ethanol content in the fuel and the DME adjust the tune based on it, is that the case?

Lastly, did you changed your spark plugs or they are still stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #281
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I am a bit confused. You do have a custom E60 tune from Paul correct? If I understand correctly based on what you said above, he tuned for exactly E60 and the ethanol sensor will tell you the percentage of ethanol in the fuel so that you know you're running the correct fuel for what the car is tuned for. Am I correct?

So on a separate question if you had the BM3 flex fuel kit, a flex tune will read the ethanol content in the fuel and the DME adjust the tune based on it, is that the case?

Lastly, did you changed your spark plugs or they are still stock?
Yes you are correct on both. I run stock spark plugs gapped to .022
      05-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #282
AJFIllinois
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

xHp Settings

BrockDM - could you post your xHp settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #283
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFIllinois View Post
BrockDM - could you post your xHp settings?
I use the Stage 3 map, drag mode set to higher and line pressure bump. No additional settings.
      05-22-2023, 04:58 PM   #284
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Damn!!! Huge congrats man, so bad ass!!!! That thing RIPS.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      05-28-2023, 10:29 AM   #285
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

IRL Exhaust Valve Controller

Next up on the mod list is something I've always been curious about. I picked up an exhaust valve controller to test a theory that I've had.

Ever since I upgraded the exhaust and downpipes I could have sworn that I could hear the exhaust valves closing randomly even though I have them set to fully open in BM3. Well turns out I was right!

I installed the valve controller and immediately noticed more sound throughout the RPM range especially in gears higher than 3rd. in 3rd is mostly when I noticed them closing before.

After digging through various threads I discovered I wasn't the only one that experienced this. It seems that BM3 does open the valves slightly more than before but on G series (and F97/98) cars they have not figured out a way to control them completely. The factory ECU has variable valve control for dozens of situations to where even if you are in Sport + the valves will partially close and open during numerous situations. I even reached out to my tuner Paul to see if we can adjust the custom tables within the ECU that dictate these situations. We set them all to fully open when in Sport + but no dice, they still closed.

So this led me to the valve controller. It turns out we use the same valve actuators that the G8X uses so I picked one up from IRL which is a local company that seems to be similar to the valvetronic unit. I'm guessing they use the same supplier and slap on their branding.

https://irlllc.com/products/irl-valve-controler

Install:
The install was pretty straight forward. Disconnect the factory wire harness to the actuators and remove the three 10mm nuts to completely remove the factor valve actuator. You will reuse the factory spring so pay close attention to how it sits in the flap. Then mount the IRL actuator. Its ok if the actuator does not line up with the valve flap in the closed position. When the on/off is cycled a few times it learns the parameters and adjusts itself.

Now the fun part... running the cables from each valve into the trunk area so they can plug into the signal and power box. This is where I spent most of my time chasing dead end grommets before finding one that would work. On the left hand side of the hatch there is a pull away compartment with a small tub located in the bottom. I removed the tub by taking out 1 T20 torx, 2 push rivets and 1 10mm nut hiding behind the fabric. I pulled the tub out and there was a small vent line with a large opening in the frame that led down behind the exhaust heat shielding. BINGO! I ran both cables over into this hole and fished them up into the hatch. I replaced the tub and used a few 3m pads to mount the box onto the side of the tub. One last cable to run which was the power. It can be hard wired or ran into the 12v cigarette outlet in the rear. I chose the later which was a piece of cake. I tucked the wire into the paneling and zip tied it to the large red power cord going to the battery. I tucked it into the channel raceway and boom I was done! The outlet supplies power when the car is "awake" and is not constant power so the battery won't be drained.

Using the remote:
I figured it was worth mentioning because I too was a little stumped at first. The IRL remote has 3 buttons on it. The top section is closed, the middle section (right on the crest) is a blip action which quickly opens and closes the valves. No idea why you would need this. Then the large bottom section is to open. When I first started messing with it I pressed the middle right on the crest because I thought it was an on/off with one bottom. It kept bliping the valves and I thought it was broken lol.

You can actually program these functions into the Homelink as well, just like a garage opener. Since the signals for open and closed are different you need to program them into different buttons, kinda lame.

There are a bunch of G8X controllers on the market so get whatever you please. I received a discount on this unit to test if it would work on the F97/98 so it was a no brainer to me as it was the cheapest on the market. It gets the job done and works great.

I unfortunately didn't get any sound clips before and after. WOT sounds pretty similar but it's mostly the partial throttle around town driving that sounds different. It's one of those things that you have to kinda experience for yourself to understand.

05-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #286
Beardielox
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

That controller looks exactly like the one the came with my Valvetronic exhaust. I programmed the open and close buttons to my homelink on the rearview mirror, the leftmost button is close, the middle is my garage door, and the rightmost button is open. I totally recommend doing the same as the remote is clunky, large and heavy.
Appreciate 3