BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #89
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Anyone in cold snowy climates loose the rubber plug? Just noticed mine is missing, wondering if the cold causes the rubber to shrink and eventually fallout with the bumps and vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #90
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mojo View Post
As stated above, the Euro x3m has the option for a tow package. So, yes, it can tow. The retractable hitches are not approved in the US, couldn't tell you why. I wouldn't think twice about towing with the X3M if needed, though.
Ditto what 08mojo said. My dealer told me what to buy and installed the stealth hitch, but when I discussed reprograming for towing even just the back up camera, they said NO it is not an option for the M, so there is no program to change.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      06-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #91
AviatorTim
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Thanks 08mojo and Sarg33. Much appreciated.

Mojo, I did see carbuyer.uk article but my BMW dealer told me the opposite so I'm trying to reconcile conflicting information.

I spoke with the Fields BMW Orlando parts department manager who called BMW to ask why they offer no tow hitch for M spec X3's. He said it's not simply that BMW didn't expect to sell enough hitches to warrant developing and stocking the part but, rather, that they intentionally don't offer it because BMW does not recommend towing with the M. He claims it's due to the suspension differences between the M and the lower models. He says he's seen unusual tire wear on otherwise good tires that were balled just on the insider edge when someone put a trailer hitch on an M model. That was on an M3 M though. He hasn't run into anyone in Orlando with a hitch on an X3 M.

You mentioned only using it for a bike rack. Has anyone following this post used a hitch on an X3 M for repeated towing of heavier loads like a boat? I'd welcome feedback from anyone who has repeatedly towed heavy loads over a prolonged period if you've seen any adverse effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #92
AviatorTim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
when I discussed reprograming for towing...they said NO it is not an option for the M, so there is no program to change.
Just clarifying what you wrote Sarg, your dealer told you there was no reprogramming option for towing with an M model?

To me, that sounds like BMW's way of saying "don't tow with this transmission". Because, as I understand it, every model M40i and below, they reprogram the tranny if you add a hitch. So having no program model for the M model may mean it's not required but it could be BMW's way of saying "you're entering uncharted waters".

I know my Porsche Macan which was factory approved for towing required a transmission reprogram if you wanted to use it for towing. It surprises me that vehicles as tightly engineered as BMW wouldn't need to know you're planning on throwing an extra 4000 pounds on the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #93
AviatorTim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb4 View Post
picw
Hey Eddieb, how much you towing there, about 4500 pounds? I'm guess 3500-ish for the 911 and another 1000# for the trailer.

Have you seen any problems from this? How often do you tow your 911 and how long have you been towing it?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #94
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
As stated above, the Euro x3m has the option for a tow package. So, yes, it can tow. The retractable hitches are not approved in the US, couldn't tell you why. I wouldn't think twice about towing with the X3M if needed, though.
Ditto what 08mojo said. My dealer told me what to buy and installed the stealth hitch, but when I discussed reprograming for towing even just the back up camera, they said NO it is not an option for the M, so there is no program to change.
That tow hitch camera coding is easily done.
Are you using the OEM harness or StealthHitch harness?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #95
08mojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
That tow hitch camera coding is easily done.
Are you using the OEM harness or StealthHitch harness?
I'm using the stealth hitch harness. What all does the coding get you? If it turns off the rear park sensors, I am very interested!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      06-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #96
You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
I'm using the stealth hitch harness. What all does the coding get you? If it turns off the rear park sensors, I am very interested!
On the M40i with a factory hitch once you plug in the trailer light plug it disables the rear parking sensors automatically. Also provides you with a trailer hitch camera view for easy backing up to hitch the trailer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:14 AM   #97
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You'll need to use factory harness and module in order for that to function automatically.

I have installed Stealth Hitch on my G05 X5 and I opted for factory harness and code it myself.
It is seamless to use.
You plug in the 7-pin harness, pdc and other things turned off by itself.

Name:  IMG_4741.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  350.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #98
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You'll need to use factory harness and module in order for that to function automatically.

I have installed Stealth Hitch on my G05 X5 and I opted for factory harness and code it myself.
It is seamless to use.

Attachment 2632795
This.

08mojo
I have the stealth harness and when towing you need to switch off the reverse emergency braking at a minimum. It easy enough to do for the few times year I use it. Coding wise you can code in the trailer backup camera and that's all you need to do from a coding perspective.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #99
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Quote:

It is seamless to use.
Do you have the part numbers for the Trailer Control Module, OEM harness and 7-pin OEM plug? I just got the stealth hitch in the mail and would definitely prefer to use OEM parts. I've got a '21 X3MC. I saw a YouTube video from someone that used OEM harness without coding and it does have a wrench in the dash and control message center stating to see the service center.

Can you complete the coding with bimmercode or do you need full ESYS? If you can PM me details I would be extremely grateful! Thanks.

-NVE
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      06-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #100
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVETHIS View Post
Quote:

It is seamless to use.
Do you have the part numbers for the Trailer Control Module, OEM harness and 7-pin OEM plug? I just got the stealth hitch in the mail and would definitely prefer to use OEM parts. I've got a '21 X3MC. I saw a YouTube video from someone that used OEM harness without coding and it does have a wrench in the dash and control message center stating to see the service center.

Can you complete the coding with bimmercode or do you need full ESYS? If you can PM me details I would be extremely grateful! Thanks.

-NVE
I am currently on the road for the next 3 weeks.
If you can email me or PM me your email address, I'll get back to you as soon as I have time and access to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #101
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I may be wrong, but from my researched BMW stopped putting the factory wiring in the MY21 that you need to install and use the factory trailer module.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      06-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #102
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I may be wrong, but from my researched BMW stopped putting the factory wiring in the MY21 that you need to install and use the factory trailer module.
It's easy enough to check, run a dump on your vin and see if you have it.
8SL Preparation For Trailer Tow Hitch Vorbereitung Fuer Anhaengerkupplung
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      06-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #103
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought too. But I checked my '21 G05 X5 and my customers '21 F95 X5M, they all have the factory harness ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post

It's easy enough to check, run a dump on your vin and see if you have it.
8SL Preparation For Trailer Tow Hitch Vorbereitung Fuer Anhaengerkupplung
And it didn't show in built-sheet.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      06-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #104
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

One from today looking fat and mean, and one from ride last week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #105
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Hey guys - Checking for 2022 - Is the only option for hitch mounted bikes still the stealth hitch for the X3M?

I’ve been thinking of either a G80 M3 with roof rack or X3M with rear hitch bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #106
ahkbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

stealth hitch + wiring harness

I am installing the stealth hitch on my 2020 x3m, and am checking with others here about the wiring harness - I don't want to mess up a perfectly functional complicated electrical machine - has anyone had any issues with the wiring harness confusing the car's electrical system? sensors, etc? thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 0