BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #67
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
I don't seem to have key fob issues anymore, but I still get hatch opening during car washing. Obviously, that can't depend on the car being unlocked. Is there any other way to prevent opening when water sprays under the truck (other than putting the key in the house)?
Do you mean you washing the car yourself with key in your pocket?

or

you mean you driving the car thru automatic car wash?

If it is driving thru automatic car wash, it is very scary
      06-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #68
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

Just driveway car washing. I did have a problem once with a car wash --Auto hold somehow re-engaged after I had turned it off, which of course caused a problem.
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i

Last edited by Eulenspiegel; 06-17-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #69
ActionJackzon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3m40i

Same issue

I've had my 2019 X3m40i since February. Love it, but have had this "hatch issue" a few times already.

Twice it opened on its own while parked.

Yesterday morning, it opened while driving in slow traffic on a very busy road during rush hour, and I had a lot of things in the trunk. I couldn't close it with the button on the armrest, nor with the key fob. I had to pull over and get out, and close it by pressing the button on the door itself.

I found this thread by searching for the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #70
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Ive had this regularly on my F30 before I bought the M Sport Leather Key Cover. It is quite large but it does prevent the keys being pressed accidentally in your pocket. Since I've had it though, I've had no issues on that car or my current F31 with the boot opening.

Not sure what I'll do when I collect my G01 though, its got the comedy, large display key so I'll probably need to carry it around in a brief case, man bag or fanny pack
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #71
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
My thoughts on this are that many of these instances happen randomly from a key in a pocket. I've been using a pouch of sorts with a little trick to keep it from happening...hasn't happened in the year of ownership!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #72
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
My thoughts on this are that many of these instances happen randomly from a key in a pocket. I've been using a pouch of sorts with a little trick to keep it from happening...hasn't happened in the year of ownership!
Yes, I use something similar. Faraday Pouch with clippable key ring on back to keep my display key in. This protects key from being pressed in pocket and offers protection for comfort access theft (however don't think that's an issue now on these keys).

I did buy a rubber sleeve for the display key to protect it, however it was too bulky and wouldn't slip inside the pouch too easy so don't use it anymore. Just the pouch.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #73
MarkCrowley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT

I have a 2019 X3 M40i with the Convenience package. This weekend, I opened my Garage door (using a remote panel on the outside of the house), and the Door got stuck about 3 feet up and stopped.
I found the tailgate opened into the garage door, with 2 large chunks of paint off the bottom edge of the tailgate, and a 3" gouge in the back of the gate. The car was locked (the mirrors were tucked in).
I bought the car into the dealership, and after explaining what happened, the service writer told me: "We will take care of it" and gave me a service loaner.
The question is: do I need to have the car re-programmed to keep the tailgate closed while the car is locked? or do I need my key fobs reprogrammed? The Dealer has the fob for Driver 1, but not for Driver 2 (it is at home).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #74
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I'm lucky enough to have a garage deep enough that if it did open, it wouldn't touch the door, that really sucks.

I bought a key fob cover to help with this. I haven't had an instance of it opening yet (when I have my wife's Audi S5 key in my pocket I'm always accidentally opening the boot). Time will tell if that prevents it or not, hoping so.
      08-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #75
Amel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Had this happen this morning and I thought I was crazy

Thankfully it was in the non covered parking spot.

Will probably get it coded
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #76
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCrowley View Post
The question is: do I need to have the car re-programmed to keep the tailgate closed while the car is locked? or do I need my key fobs reprogrammed? The Dealer has the fob for Driver 1, but not for Driver 2 (it is at home).
Car. Not the key.

Bummer this happened. But nice of the dealer to take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #77
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCrowley View Post
I have a 2019 X3 M40i with the Convenience package. This weekend, I opened my Garage door (using a remote panel on the outside of the house), and the Door got stuck about 3 feet up and stopped.
I found the tailgate opened into the garage door, with 2 large chunks of paint off the bottom edge of the tailgate, and a 3" gouge in the back of the gate. The car was locked (the mirrors were tucked in).
I bought the car into the dealership, and after explaining what happened, the service writer told me: "We will take care of it" and gave me a service loaner.
Same happened to me twice last year. The 2nd time the tailgate was stuck on the garage door and I didn't realize it and it ripped the ball joints out of the actuators and mangled the headliner.

The key was on the kitchen counter when it happened.

BMW NA told me they never heard of such a thing happening and I told them I wanted them to cover my insurance deductible (it was a $2900) repair. The rep told he didn't see that happening and then the next day called me and said a check was in the mail.

I talked to the dealer GM about it and he had no idea this was possible nor had he heard of the fix, which was the code the car to only open the gate when the car was unlocked.

Since making that change, there has never been a recurrence of the issue.

Based on the response you got from your dealer, I'm guessing this is now a widely known issue.

'07 328xi wagon, '10 528xi, '11 X5 35, '13 X5 35, '16 X5 35, '19 X2 28
Appreciate 1
GoCubs36.50
      08-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #78
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

this happens on many bmw's, it's usually bumping the button in your pocket, or means you need to change the battery in the fob.

happened on my 2er, battery change solved issue.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #79
PeteInGilroy
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3

I've owned vehicles in the past that have surprised me when I returned to them with the hatch or trunk open. Each time I bought a fob cover and it never happened again. I have an order in for a fob cover for my X3.

In one instance I parked a Lexus at relatives house on Fourth of July. Bottle rockets were going off everywhere and I returned to find my car with all the windows down and the sunroof open. Luckily, no damage!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #80
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

had my car around a month now 2 times the boot has opened by itself with no chance of a pocket key press, I had the Comfort Access coded out when buying the car for security reasons (it was an ex Demo car) off to the dealer to have it coded for the boot to only unlock if vehicle is unlocked first..
must say not had the best experience of local dealers, one couldn't book it in for a week and a half even though i explained it was security risk, the other wanted me to pay an hours labour for having my 6 month old FAULTY car fixed...!!!!!
OTHERWISE loving it..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #81
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I haven't experienced this issue yet, but it is concerning. I plan to get the fob cover as a safety. Is this also happening with the display key or just the standard M key?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #82
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

It is very frustrating to walk out and see your very expensive car with its boot wide open, thought about the fob cover but it really bulks up the size of the key in the pocket..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #83
Juris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X-3 M40i Alpine White 2019

I bought the carbon fiber fob but while using it and washing my rear window the rear hatch opened. Then again while sweeping the garage floor the rear hatch opened. Both times the fob was in my pocket. Yesterday I spoke to the BMW nationwide genius who suggested I take a piece of electrical tape and cover the camera located in the center under the rear of the car that triggers the opening.

Last edited by Juris; 11-27-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #84
DrNeutron
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris View Post
I bought the carbon fiber fob but while using it and washing my rear window the rear hatch opened. Then again while sweeping the garage floor the rear hatch opened. Both times the fob was in my pocket. Yesterday I spoke to the BMW nationwide genius who suggested I take a piece of electrical tape and cover the camera located in the center under the rear of the car that triggers the opening.
I have a hitch on my M40i which deletes the foot opening option but still had this issue. Took car back to dealership and they updated firmware and coded so now trunk won't open till the car is unlocked, no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #85
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Had this happen to me this morning, parked car got out opened rear door to get a bag out and the tailgate opened then closed 3 times
I’m sure I didn’t press button , so I got key out of coat pocket closed tailgate and it opened again .
Nothing in the way stopping the closing but it was raining and lots of water around so I moved car out of puddle and it stayed shut .
Now could it be the water dripping off the underneath into the puddle setting it off

Coding it to not open until doors are unlocked is a good idea but it would still open under the same circumstances and wet weather when I exit the car ,so I would have lock doors then close tailgate ,in that order .Im off to dealer tomorrow to get it coded off
      12-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #86
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

For those that have gotten this coded and THEN had the X3 recoded to fix the other recall items (example: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674952). Do you need to ask the dealer to recode the gate to only open when unlocked? Or does this remain even after the software recalls are addressed?

Our X3 is coded to have the gate only open when unlocked but need to take it in for the other software recalls.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #87
DD694
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I had my X3 coded to open the tailgate from key fob ONLY when doors are locked. The two times I have taken it back for software updates, I have told the service rep that this is in place and I want it to remain there after the software update. This code change has always been there on picking up my X3 after a software update. This time the service rep told me that it should not be affected my the software update. Whether this would have been the case without my calling it out in the beginning, I can't say.

Even with this coding being done, washing the car with the key fob in my pocket can cause the tailgate to open, doors to lock and unlock as I wash.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #88
Clint-dog
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (2020)/Audi TT Quattro

I collected my car last week (2020 model) but unable to drive due to having an op a couple of weeks so being chauffeured around by my wife. We Parked up today only to return to find the boot open and car unlocked. Of course this could never happen to me so it must be all the junk women carry in their handbags!! Only now to find this thread showing it to be a common problem. I will get it recoded ASAP after a grovelling apology for jumping to conclusions.
Appreciate 0