BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #45
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Driving around in the Malvern Hills I hard this noise for the first time. Mrs V thought it was a bird but having read this thread before I knew it was the noise. It's very hilly around here and here and it made the noise going up and down hill. Will monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #46
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so only happened when going downhill (and quite a steep decline) foot off accelerator traveling between 35mph - 40mph. Replicated the sound 5-6 times. So strange as this only happened when I was in Malvern yesterday and today. Never made a noise like this driving on flat roads in and around London. Odd
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #47
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

I have this when the car shifts and it's still cold!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #48
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Rear hatch alignment?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #49
dtuohy1
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Apparently Resolved

Just received M40i back after a 2.5 week holiday at BMW Sydney. After trying many solutions with aid of microphone "ears" and the odd swap with a donor vehicle, I was given the car back today with the problem being the rear dust cover (presumably for the drivetrain). This sounds similar to the solution for another post in Adelaide, Australia. In fact BMW Sydney did talk to BMW Adelaide at my insistence. They were able to reproduce up on hoist by spinning the rear wheels. As I understand the dust covers (front and back) should spin with the drivetrain, but every now and then it catches and stops spinning.
Fix was to glue the dust cover.
Now only been a day, but no sound so far. I understand BMW technical were involved in remedy and presumably now have logged the issue (better!)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #50
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuohy1 View Post
Just received M40i back after a 2.5 week holiday at BMW Sydney. After trying many solutions with aid of microphone "ears" and the odd swap with a donor vehicle, I was given the car back today with the problem being the rear dust cover (presumably for the drivetrain). This sounds similar to the solution for another post in Adelaide, Australia. In fact BMW Sydney did talk to BMW Adelaide at my insistence. They were able to reproduce up on hoist by spinning the rear wheels. As I understand the dust covers (front and back) should spin with the drivetrain, but every now and then it catches and stops spinning.
Fix was to glue the dust cover.
Now only been a day, but no sound so far. I understand BMW technical were involved in remedy and presumably now have logged the issue (better!)
That doesn't sound 100% accurate, but I don't know enough to correct you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #51
dtuohy1
Rep

Service Documentation to Repair Issue

BMW Service document attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #52
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What exactly is a dust cover and where is it located?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #53
Makila2a
Rep

London_V do you still have this noise?

The dust covers in question (IF that is what is making this noise) sit on the inboard sides of the rear driveshafts, the shafts that go from the rear differential to the wheels. The dust covers protect the shaft seals of the differential.

My car has this noise coming from the rear, had it for ages. It's been into the local BMW dealer, and they have diagnosed it as these covers being the problem.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...aft/1VncI9NLKc

That's the link for the workshop manual, there is a lot involved to change these dust covers.

I haven't had mine changed yet, hopefully can get it booked in soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #54
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Funnily enough I heard the noise briefly when driving earlier today. First time I heard it in a few weeks. It's so intermittent it's almost impossible to replicate. The dealer even kept the car for a day and couldn't hear anything.

Your post above is super helpful. They had absolutely no idea when I started talking about dust covers! I'll wait it out and see if the noise gets worse ... I think it's the only way as I can't see the dealer carrying out work if they can't see / hear anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #55
Makila2a
Rep

So I’ve had the rear diff dust covers replaced, and so far no noises, lets hope the fix is permenant.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:57 AM   #56
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
The dealer even kept the car for a day and couldn't hear anything.
Translation, they took it for a single test drive, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #57
edgarchieng
Private
Rep

Glad my post / info had help some of you. Basically (although I've never seen it personally myself and BMW Adelaide's explanation was never really made crystal clear to me) the dust cover for the front driveshaft is supposed to be fixed in place but for whatever reason they and come loose and spin which is what causes the squawking noise.

But reading from the BMW Sydney version it sounds like the dust cover is supposed to spin with the driveshaft but can get caught and stuck in place and driveshaft scrubbing against the cover produces the noise (totally the opposite to the version I got told)

Either way it has got to do with the dust cover for the front driveshaft / transaxle

I'm just glad it's fixed for me now and have had no issues in the past few months so I'm happy as it was driving me insane I wanted to sell the car 😂
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      11-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #58
dtuohy1
Rep

Issue Resolved

An update after 3 months since issue fixed by BMW Sydney.
Confirm this is the issue. The repetitive issue is definitely resolved.
I have to say that every now and then I think I hear the dreaded squeal, but with so many birds (of flying type!) in Sydney that it is probably just the odd squawking bird. If it is the old noise, it is certainly not enough to bother me.
Appreciate 2
london_v156.50
Alias1431794.00
      12-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #59
Jooneth
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuohy1 View Post
An update after 3 months since issue fixed by BMW Sydney.
Confirm this is the issue. The repetitive issue is definitely resolved.
I have to say that every now and then I think I hear the dreaded squeal, but with so many birds (of flying type!) in Sydney that it is probably just the odd squawking bird. If it is the old noise, it is certainly not enough to bother me.
Hi there,

I am also experiencing the same issue just recently after BMW Sydney did some warranty repair on front right strut. Who did you speak to when you dealt with this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #60
supe
Rep

Not to take away from other solutions, but I wanted to add, it the hope it helps, that I had a squawking/squeeling sound that was exactly as the one heard at the end of this video listen from 2:15 timestamp on youtube from another forum

And the fix was the AC expansion valve in my case as mentioned from that forum
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #61
Mansoor91219
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandohdl View Post
Seems to many strange noises for such an expensive car.

Mine is a little different when I change gears and also only happens in specific situations:

And also dealer cannot find a real solution

I had the a similar noise that was coming from the back side whenever I was driving on a bumpy road , the noise started after I had an accident from the rear that resulted in replacing the rear bumper and the trunk door , however it turned out that the dealership forgot to reinstall the exhaust coupling which caused the wired bird sounds.

Luckily they fond the problem and fixed it , and since then I haven't heard that noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #62
arcademachin3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supe View Post
Not to take away from other solutions, but I wanted to add, it the hope it helps, that I had a squawking/squeeling sound that was exactly as the one heard at the end of this video listen from 2:15 timestamp on youtube from another forum

And the fix was the AC expansion valve in my case as mentioned from that forum
Hi I am dealing with this EXACT sound. Can you please link to the other forum mentioned above. I clicked through to the Youtube video and it appears that person still hasn't resolved their issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 02:09 PM   #63
Abs850
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4 M40D

I am having this same issue. It has been to the garage this morning and this is what they think is the fault. How much did it cost you to repair the covers so i have something to work with??
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #64
Abs850
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4 M40D

Noise in the Rear

I have the same issue and it is driving me insane! Does anyone know what the estimated cost is of repairing these magical dust covers ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:56 PM   #65
supe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademachin3 View Post
Hi I am dealing with this EXACT sound. Can you please link to the other forum mentioned above. I clicked through to the Youtube video and it appears that person still hasn't resolved their issue.

Sorry for the late response everyone, my email sends notices from the forum to junk
Check the thread below especially post #!6, had my advisor contact them for details as it appears there is a bulletin for it.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/2...#post-13036959
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 04:01 AM   #66
mmriis
Registered
Rep

Hi guys. The dust cover was my exact problem. Damn thing driving me crazy.

On the right hand side the boot on the axle and the dust cover can turn independently. Not so on the left hand side.

The dust cover seems to be able to catch sometimes hence boot and dust cover are moving against eachother and making that awful noise.

I've fixed it for now with silicon spray. But I think a better solution is to glue the dust cover to the boot and add grease between dust cover and rear diff.

See image here:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0