BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #45
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
In another thread, there are directions for doing some sort of throttle reset. Might help.
Something to the effect of press start with foot OFF brake, then press gas pedal to the floor past kick down and hold for 30 seconds.

I've performed this reset and it seems to help for a while until relearning it's sluggish ways due to stop and go city driving.
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      08-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #46
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've complained ad nauseam about this and how the X3 4-banger loaners I've gotten feel so much more responsive, when daily driven, down low (what most people do everyday). The mppsk tune on the M40i uses "overboost" on kick-down to thrust you forward & give the almost immediate sensation of brutal torque/speed but it's not practical in everyday driving. Otherwise, it feels lazy on any gear below 3K when cruising.
      08-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #47
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
I had the same complaints when I first got the car and these two things made a big difference for me:

#1 set up sport individual to be your default drive mode with these settings:
- engine: sport
- tranny: comfort
- suspension: comfort
# 2 Use the transmission sport mode early and often! I frequently slap the trans into m/s to get a better throttle response when needed and it works really well in conjunction with step #1

Just a guess, but I think comfort mode skips 1st gear and then sometimes thinks too long about shifting into first when you give it throttle. Using m/s with the settings listed above forces the car into first gear when at a stop so you get a much better response off the line. I often do this while rolling as well and it will immediately downshift most of the time. It feels great when you are preparing to overtake someone, no delay just GO.
deladude This helped a ton. I drove a couple days and while its still there when you really get on the throttle, its much better for normal daily driving! Thanks so much for sharing! Its a great balance of performance without the excessive exhaust pops in sport plus. Much appreciated.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 1
deladude264.50
      08-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #48
AngeloUCF
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '19 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Seriously?

For some reason no matter which forum you go on there is always someone complaining about lag in throttle response. I had the same experience on the Audi S3 forum. Numerous people berating how poor the throttle response was and how dangerous it was pulling out in to traffic. I never experienced any of this and at no point did I find myself in a dangerous situation.

Can I speculate that maybe some people buy this car expecting it to be super fast because it has a decent engine in it and therefore it should be able to get out in a gap which isn't really suitable? Then they complain that it should be able to make up for their poor judgement because they have just put themselves in that situation. This is not aimed at anyone I just don't get it. My car is quick for an almost 2 tonne SUV, but I certainly don't think I'm in a sports car.
My wife has a '19 X5 and previously a '16 X5 and I have no such complaints with either vehicle with the similar 6cyl engine. Clearly you haven't experienced or don't notice what others have, but it has happened to me many times (not all the time but quite often). I will press the accelerator from a stop and nothing happens for a second or two and then the car lunges forward like I floored it. Because it doesn't happen every time it's unpredictable and that's what makes it a bit dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #49
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloUCF View Post
Quote:
Seriously?

For some reason no matter which forum you go on there is always someone complaining about lag in throttle response. I had the same experience on the Audi S3 forum. Numerous people berating how poor the throttle response was and how dangerous it was pulling out in to traffic. I never experienced any of this and at no point did I find myself in a dangerous situation.

Can I speculate that maybe some people buy this car expecting it to be super fast because it has a decent engine in it and therefore it should be able to get out in a gap which isn't really suitable? Then they complain that it should be able to make up for their poor judgement because they have just put themselves in that situation. This is not aimed at anyone I just don't get it. My car is quick for an almost 2 tonne SUV, but I certainly don't think I'm in a sports car.
My wife has a '19 X5 and previously a '16 X5 and I have no such complaints with either vehicle with the similar 6cyl engine. Clearly you haven't experienced or don't notice what others have, but it has happened to me many times (not all the time but quite often). I will press the accelerator from a stop and nothing happens for a second or two and then the car lunges forward like I floored it. Because it doesn't happen every time it's unpredictable and that's what makes it a bit dangerous.
I often plan my acceleration in situations when turning left. It's just a matter of thinking quickly on your feet in that moment.

No matter what mode I'm in, in 1st gear at a stop, there's 2 seconds before it unleashes.

I'm curious what a pedal tuner would do.

I know that Dtuk makes them for our cars. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it called "Pedal box".

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...w-2998-ccm/#go
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #50
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Its not about being quick. Its about consistency. When I push on the throttle from a stop (or even when rolling), I should know what the vehicle is going to do. Some times mine goes, sometimes it waits 2-3 seconds (or more) and then goes. Being quick is not the issue at all. Its about predictability. I knew when getting this it wasn't a sports car, but it should be more reliable to do what I tell it to do. But this is a forum and I appreciate your feedback, I love this type of conversation! Likely what those of us who commented should have been more clear on (at least for me) is it isn't about speed. Its about the lack of predictability of the throttle when you need it to be reliable. Across the spectrum of speed, its about being able to rely on the vehicle doing what you ask when you do. No matter how fast it does it. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #51
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
Its not about being quick. Its about consistency. When I push on the throttle from a stop (or even when rolling), I should know what the vehicle is going to do. Some times mine goes, sometimes it waits 2-3 seconds (or more) and then goes. Being quick is not the issue at all. Its about predictability. I knew when getting this it wasn't a sports car, but it should be more reliable to do what I tell it to do. But this is a forum and I appreciate your feedback, I love this type of conversation! Likely what those of us who commented should have been more clear on (at least for me) is it isn't about speed. Its about the lack of predictability of the throttle when you need it to be reliable. Across the spectrum of speed, its about being able to rely on the vehicle doing what you ask when you do. No matter how fast it does it. :-)
I agree. The car is wonderful in sport mode on up, but the other modes are tuned terribly. Very inconsistent and non linear.

Last edited by Alias1431; 08-27-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #52
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I agree completely. My 2 Acuras can be downright scary sometimes with the lag. They have plenty of power, but what the hell are they thinking about in those 1-2 seconds while the guy in the 80,000 lbs truck is closing in on me? If I put my TLX in sport, it's better, but not great. If I put it in sport plus, I control the gear and there is never an issue. But I don't like commuting in sport plus. And these are both non-turbo. Whoever is programming these vehicles with the lag between throttle and action is going to get someone killed. A CVT is better than my TLX.

Remember the old days without any computers? Floor it and go.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #53
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
I agree. The car is wonderful in sport mode on up, but the other mode are tuned terribly. Very inconsistent and non linear.
You know oddly for me, its better in sport mode, but still rough some days. What I think I have sorted out is that if AC is on, its laggy. When AC is off, its great in sport individual. For the past few days it has been cooler so I have had the AC off, and it was a different vehicle completely. It was always itching to go! Today it was hot again so I turned AC back on, and even in sport there is the lag. I even have the lag in sport plus or with manual shifting. Oh well, still a great vehicle, just a nag.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #54
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Something worth trying in Comfort is to initially use a small throttle opening just to get the car moving then open the throttle much wider. Or use Sport.

This issue has been around for ages with other BMWs.
This is a good tip, even in sport modes. Its as if the car assumes sharp throttle input from a stop is a mistake that can cause a crash so it adds this large delay to the car's response to allow for a correction before take off. At least that is my best guess as to why the car behaves this way. I believe its happening by design and isn't a result of turbo lag or some other mechanical flaw.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #55
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

Sometimes I miss my NA 2003 Accord....
Sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #56
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

As long as the engine didn't cough, pop and spit first.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #57
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
This is a good tip, even in sport modes. Its as if the car assumes [sharp throttle input from a stop is a mistake that can cause a crash so it adds this large delay to the car's response to allow for a correction before take off. At least that is my best guess as to why the car behaves this way. I believe its happening by design and isn't a result of turbo lag or some other mechanical flaw.
That might be the right answer. It happened in the past, that people were pushing the wrong pedals. I'm applying gas gently, no sharp or hard pushing, and I'm not experiencing lags described here. Another thing is, if I want to accelerate very quickly, or doing kickdown, than there is a lag between the pedal movement and car movement. But that's not from a stop.
      08-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #58
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
That might be the right answer. It happened in the past, that people were pushing the wrong pedals. I'm applying gas gently, no sharp or hard pushing, and I'm not experiencing lags described here. Another thing is, if I want to accelerate very quickly, or doing kickdown, than there is a lag between the pedal movement and car movement. But that's not from a stop.
I doubt it is a "safety feature". Modern cars all have active safety features that will stop or slow down the car before collision, which is a more failsafe protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #59
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Something to the effect of press start with foot OFF brake, then press gas pedal to the floor past kick down and hold for 30 seconds.

I've performed this reset and it seems to help for a while until relearning it's sluggish ways due to stop and go city driving.
I just tried the throttle reset this morning and it made a difference. Let’s see how long it lasts. Thanks
Appreciate 1
Pretzel92.50
      08-29-2019, 04:06 AM   #60
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe this has been brought up before....in case not:

What fuel are the folks running who experience lag? The 40i engine needs something like 98 / 99 octane fuel if the knock sensor isn't to rob you of 30hp+. When the knock sensor is operating maybe it changes the engine mapping which end up creating lag?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #61
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I just tried the throttle reset this morning and it made a difference. Let’s see how long it lasts. Thanks
Just did the reset.
Major difference!
      08-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #62
madrye28
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Quote:
Maybe this has been brought up before....in case not:

What fuel are the folks running who experience lag? The 40i engine needs something like 98 / 99 octane fuel if the knock sensor isn't to rob you of 30hp+. When the knock sensor is operating maybe it changes the engine mapping which end up creating lag?
Where exactly do you purchase 98/99 octane fuel? And where did you get this info where it states a loss of hp if you put in 93/94 octane? Never heard of or seen 98/99 octane in any of my local gas stations. With that said, I doubt knock sensors are going off in a car because it’s not filled with impossible octane gas, that would be a ludicrous expectation on BMW’s end, especially in reviewing the owner’s manual in which it recommended 91 or higher for maximum performance.
Appreciate 1
deladude264.50
      08-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #63
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrye28 View Post
Where exactly do you purchase 98/99 octane fuel? And where did you get this info where it states a loss of hp if you put in 93/94 octane? Never heard of or seen 98/99 octane in any of my local gas stations. With that said, I doubt knock sensors are going off in a car because it’s not filled with impossible octane gas, that would be a ludicrous expectation on BMW’s end, especially in reviewing the owner’s manual in which it recommended 91 or higher for maximum performance.
Most gas stations here in The Netherlands, give you 2 options;
Standard E5 95 Octane gas
or
Supreme E10 98 Octane gas

If you let you car Chiptune, they also advise to fill up with E10/98 Octane for best engine results and HP/NM gain.
      08-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #64
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes....the high octanes are in Europe. 95 is standard with 97 / 98 / 99 being very available too, the exact rating depending on brand.

Edit...I just read that US 91 equates to European 97. That explains it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #65
madrye28
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Quote:
Yes....the high octanes are in Europe. 95 is standard with 97 / 98 / 99 being very available too, the exact rating depending on brand.

Edit...I just read that US 91 equates to European 97. That explains it.
So 93 US octane is equal to 99 European I assume? Then it makes more sense now! So off European numbers, all members here are using the same high octane gas here in the US. But yes, lower octane gas will cause a loss of horsepower and engine knocking in extreme circumstances. If you can afford an M40i, don’t skimp on the gas. If you do, any throttle issues you truly deserve imo. I only use Shell premium whenever possible and no issues here in Comfort, fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:59 AM   #66
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

The m40i motor is truly spectacular, but in my opinion it does have a bit of lag in comfort mode when accelerating from a dead stop. The first meter is pretty slow (definitely does not feel like 360hp) but then it takes off like crazy, which can be very dangerous at times. In this respect, the diesel version is more responsive in the low rev range which is exactly what I love and expect from a powerful car.
Appreciate 0