BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Ok, I'll give this a go!

There's kind of a mental conversation that takes place when you see something with a strong presence or character. Phytonic Blue says, "look at me, aren't I impressive", I reply "wow, yes you are". Is this is conversation I want everyday? Some days I'll say "please, can you tone it down today, I don't want this conversation". If you keep you car for 2 years then change, it's a more viable situation. I want my next car for 5 to 10 years.

Another aspect is context. In a very modern environment such strong colours can work well. Also in a bright, maybe even desert location. I live in an English conservation area with UK weather...it's 1900s housing and very leafy, Phytonic Blue is not subtle and would struggle to gel with the surroundings.

The colours which endure in the BMW range are white, grey, black, sliver others get rotated, Phy will likely be replaced by another strong colour when the LCI comes out.
Thank you for continuing to have this conversation! I follow your logic, although, viscerally, I do not share these feelings. When I first saw Valencia Orange, I knew it was a must-have for me. Five years later, seeing that color burst to life in the sunshine remains like my eyes having a new piece of candy each day. I don't take it as any kind of boasting sense of self-importance or being impressive. It just seems to stimulate the retinal cones in the same pleasurable way a piece of chocolate does the taste buds. Never grow tired of that! To torture the analogy further, for me, the non-color colors are experienced as "vanilla", a flavor that I have sometimes thought should be illegal for lack of substance. . I wound up with a AW 3GT due to lack of time to order and wanting maximum heat rejection in an area where we see triple-digit temperatures F in the Summertime.

Good to know that you are finding enough choices to get what you want. I am hoping by the time I order for next year (X3e), we see some more bolder choices. I'll take a bit more heat to have some more "eye candy".

BTW, regarding the LCI, here is the BMW long range plan as reported in the industry trade paper. The headings are in calendar years.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      08-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #24
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I thought they extended the X3 until 2025?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #25
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm still trying to finalise my colour choices. I've decided on Glacier Silver...I was tempted by black leather with blue stitching but blue seems now to have changed to grey stitching which doesn't pop the same. I like Tartufo in colour and texture.

What's the feeling about how Tartufo links with Silver? For sure it's ok in that it doesn't not go. But does it go well?

White would go better perhaps but what about silver?

Last edited by clivem2; 08-26-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Only I can finally decide on colours....there are two options I've narrowed my choice down to:

Glacier Silver with Tartufo Merino

or

Sophisto Grey (Dark Granite) with Cognac Vernasca

The car will have privacy glass, I feel with Sophisto Grey and privacy glass it's all a bit dark and a I lose the definition the black trim would create with a lighter exterior colour. The Cognac interior would be pleasantly bright.

Glacier Silver gains the definition & contrast from the black trim and pano roof. With Tartufo it'll be a bit dark inside though. Silver will be much easier to keep clean and no visible swirl marks.

I'm not convinced Cognac would be a good match for Silver, hence it's not on list to consider.

Any thoughts?

Options selected:
M Sport Plus
Lumbar Support
Front and Rear Seat Heating
Panoramic Roof
Parking Assistant Plus
Driver Assistant Plus
      08-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (MY20 TU)

Quote:
I'm still trying to finalise my colour choices. I've decided on Glacier Silver...I was tempted by black leather with blue stitching but blue seems now to have changed to grey stitching which doesn't pop the same. I like Tartufo in colour and texture.

What's the feeling about how Tartufo links with Silver? For sure it's ok in that it doesn't not go. But does it go well?

White would go better perhaps but what about silver?
That's exactly the choice I decided upon (Glacier Silver and Tartufo Merino Leather).

I wanted an easy colour externally to maintain and a similar quality of leather in my previous F36 435d, so this was an easy choice for me.

I ultimately believe that this is a good combination and quite classy for sure, maybe not the typical blend for others but at the end of the day, if you are happy with it, that's what is important...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #28
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochview View Post
That's exactly the choice I decided upon (Glacier Silver and Tartufo Merino Leather).

I wanted an easy colour externally to maintain and a similar quality of leather in my previous F36 435d, so this was an easy choice for me.

I ultimately believe that this is a good combination and quite classy for sure, maybe not the typical blend for others but at the end of the day, if you are happy with it, that's what is important...
I think Tartufo will have a "gentlemans' club" vibe and yes must be classy vs the sportiness of say Black. Do you have privacy glass? If so is the interior still quite light?

My current F25 has Saddle interior which is very close to Cognac so lighter than Tartufo - don't want the interior too dark but I think it'll be fine - it's one of those things where I don't want to feel I've made a mistake when the car arrives!
      08-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #29
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Ok, I'll give this a go!

There's kind of a mental conversation that takes place when you see something with a strong presence or character. Phytonic Blue says, "look at me, aren't I impressive", I reply "wow, yes you are". Is this is conversation I want everyday? Some days I'll say "please, can you tone it down today, I don't want this conversation". If you keep you car for 2 years then change, it's a more viable situation. I want my next car for 5 to 10 years.

Another aspect is context. In a very modern environment such strong colours can work well. Also in a bright, maybe even desert location. I live in an English conservation area with UK weather...it's 1900s housing and very leafy, Phytonic Blue is not subtle and would struggle to gel with the surroundings.

The colours which endure in the BMW range are white, grey, black, sliver others get rotated, Phy will likely be replaced by another strong colour when the LCI comes out.
I dunno. Phytonic blue isn't that wow, bright, impressive, hey look at me. Maybe it's just that the sun is less impressive in Scotland, but a guy at the end of the street has a PB X4 M40i and it seems quite subdued. So much that my wife finds it kinda bland. Its got no more pizzazz than my Carbon Black 4. EB was a much louder colour. Not changing my order from PB, just saying that I don't see it as a look at me colour.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #30
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I dunno. Phytonic blue isn't that wow, bright, impressive, hey look at me. Maybe it's just that the sun is less impressive in Scotland, but a guy at the end of the street has a PB X4 M40i and it seems quite subdued. So much that my wife finds it kinda bland. Its got no more pizzazz than my Carbon Black 4. EB was a much louder colour. Not changing my order from PB, just saying that I don't see it as a look at me colour.
Well....to come clean on this, I think some blues I've seen on other BMWs have not been PB. Some of the pics of PB X3s have looked very strong but this may just be the photos. Now that I have the paper catalogue I see that PB could be be quite dark. It's a trip to the dealer tomorrow for me to search out some more PB.

Is this realistic, or is the bright sunshine?
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/irela...c-Blue-10-2017

Or this:

Last edited by clivem2; 08-27-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #31
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochview View Post

I think Tartufo will have a "gentlemans' club" vibe and yes must be classy vs the sportiness of say Black. Do you have privacy glass? If so is the interior still quite light?

My current F25 has Saddle interior which is very close to Cognac so lighter than Tartufo - don't want the interior too dark but I think it'll be fine - it's one of those things where I don't want to feel I've made a mistake when the car arrives!
I have ordered privacy glass on the new car (a standard option actually in one of the packs) and I managed to drive an X3 M40i which had the exterior / interior choice I chose in the end and it's lighter inside than my black merino I had on my previous car. I had Champagne Quartz on the last car which is hard to beat, but Glacier Silver just sets off the Shadowline trim.

I'm also planning to have the mirror caps done in Shadowline jet black to finish off the exterior look...

Can't wait for the delivery down near Heathrow and the drive back to Scotland in late October when the car is due to arrive.

One other point is that I didn't go for the Pano Roof as I'd read here that some have had various issues (like squeaks, rattles and leaks to deal with), thus I removed it from my build. At least I don't have the extra weight to deal with either.

Will be interested in what combination you pick.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #32
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Re the pano roof, I've had two so far on my two F25s. I've had a few creaks when spring turned into summer this year but in 7 years of panos that's all. UK weather might be easier on the roofs than some hotter areas of the US.

I reckon Silver with Tartufo is where my heart is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Re the pano roof, I've had two so far on my two F25s. I've had a few creaks when spring turned into summer this year but in 7 years of panos that's all. UK weather might be easier on the roofs than some hotter areas of the US.

I reckon Silver with Tartufo is where my heart is.
Good stuff - perhaps I might see you on the road in future. We might be in a slightly exclusive club with our interior / exterior colour combo...

Never had a pano Roof, so wouldn't really miss it on the new car, thus why I ultimately decided to not get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #34
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Well....to come clean on this, I think some blues I've seen on other BMWs have not been PB. Some of the pics of PB X3s have looked very strong but this may just be the photos. Now that I have the paper catalogue I see that PB could be be quite dark. It's a trip to the dealer tomorrow for me to search out some more PB.

Or this:
It’s fairly realistic to what the paint looks like on a bright day. I have included a picture of mine I just took a few minutes ago.

First is in the garage:

And then a few outside in the sun:

Hope that helps.
      08-28-2019, 01:06 AM   #35
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That helps greatly, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #36
ClaretFozzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Quote:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/irela...c-Blue-10-2017

Or this:

This picture is more representative of Estoril Blue to be honest, which is much lighter than Phytonic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:36 AM   #37
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
The one along the road from me looks closer to this, strong sunlight or not. It doesn't pop like the photos in this thread.

Or this...

Last edited by Zero71; 08-28-2019 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:11 AM   #38
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

There's a definite climate and strength of light theme with the PB photos. Dull Scotland and England vs sunshine states.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:22 AM   #39
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Agreed. Part of me wishes I'd ordered Silver. My wife loves the Silver. But I just don't think it suits the Congac as well as the Phytonic so I'm going to stick with it. But it's a little bit plain.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:12 AM   #40
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Part of me wishes I'd ordered Silver. My wife loves the Silver. But I just don't think it suits the Congac as well as the Phytonic so I'm going to stick with it. But it's a little bit plain.
If Cognac is your driving force then PB is good.

I'm kind in a similar vein.

Silver / Tartufo I find attractive. Both though are head rather than heart choices. Silver for practicality and Tartufo because it's classy and soft plus because Cognac is too light to go with silver. This is still a great choice.

I've had Saddle (very similar to Cognac) for 5 years and I'm not at all tired of it; it brings life to the cabin. If I go with my heart it'll be Cognac in which case Sophisto Grey is currently the front runner though I'm not ruling out PB.

I'm not sure whether Sophisto Grey and as hard to keep as Sapphire Black, maybe it's 60% or 70% of as bad?

With the M Sport Plus pack it looks like the kidney grills and mirrors are black.

Last edited by clivem2; 08-28-2019 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:52 AM   #41
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I have Sophisto for nearly a year now, and I can say that it hides dirt quite well. I expected worse. As for the water spots, it depends what kind of water you have access to. I'm using touchless self wash boxes with demineralized water. If I don't dry the car and not leave it on direct sun, than there are no water spots. The dirt itself is visible from closer look, but from the other side of the street, you can't see it.
      08-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #42
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

I think silver will be cleaner in the summer, but will show up mud in the winter. Grey is probably going to show up dust more in the summer and look less filthy in the winter. I just accept, living in Scotland, that my car is never going to be clean for long, regardless of colour.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #43
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
The one along the road from me looks closer to this, strong sunlight or not. It doesn't pop like the photos in this thread.

Or this...
It's definitely not as bright in the pictures they took in Ireland for the press photos, as they use a lot of light for those. These look more like they were taken on a cloudy day, though.

The pictures I posted I ran out and took just for this post and are not altered in any way, so they are very accurate as to what the car looks like. It's still a pretty dynamic color in bright sunlight, but when the clouds come out, it's pretty dark.

Here are a couple more of mine taken on a cloudy days, including a couple in the rain:

Last edited by VMMVMMM; 08-28-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
smanji132.50
      08-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #44
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys for the photos, they really do help.

I've borrowed the leather swatches and paint samples from the dealer. I've Tartufo, Cognac plus Silver, Sophisto and Phytonic.

I've been playing with all the combinations and benefiting from my fashion design daughter's experience...she prefers Sophisto / Cognac but feels Silver / Tartufo is also very good.

Silver / Tartufo is where my head is today, of course it's yet more money but YOLO...

I'm waiting for the dealer to get his configurator to check on the extended black gloss which comes with M Sport Plus package - the web configurator suggests there no Cerium with the package. The only way to be sure is for the dealer to look at the parts details behind the configurator.
Appreciate 0