BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Is it better to hit warranty mileage limit before warranty time limit?

I was wondering if its better to drive up to your warranty mileage so that if something occurs, bmw will cover it or not? I don't drive much mileage on my x3 and use my other car for work commute and x3 for weekend hikes, dates, etc (or sometimes weekdays too). And wondering if I'm way below the mileage for warranty and it expires, I'll be stuck with paying for parts that will break down and can get pricey. But if i drive the car more the common parts that break down will be covered. I can go either route but wondering does it matter much? What parts usually need to be fixed in beginning usually? I have about 2 years warranty left and 34k miles. I'm estimating around 6-7k a year on x3 if I currently do what I'm doing
Appreciate 1
DanG10629.00
      08-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I don’t think driving more will get you anything other than a bigger gas bill. If you are worried about the warranty, you could buy an extended warranty. You can do this anytime before the original warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I don't think driving more will get you anything other than a bigger gas bill. If you are worried about the warranty, you could buy an extended warranty. You can do this anytime before the original warranty expires.
Ahh i forgot about that. Thats great point. How much is extended warranty? And how many years can be extended? Im guessing it will be less coverage as bmw knows some parts will be coming to and end and wont include that or something. I know its negotiable too but looking for more ballpark cost. I so like my ride and wanna keep it for long time. Cars grow on you and its hard to let it go despite the depreciation lol

So guess its safe to drive my low miles and add extended warranty. But it wont cover something like turbo engine going out etc right. Just not sure what usually go out first and whats the common parts that breakdown.

Not sure why bmw warranty is bit low mileage though. Remember hyundai was loke 100k 10 year or something whoa
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Ahh i forgot about that. Thats great point. How much is extended warranty? And how many years can be extended? Im guessing it will be less coverage as bmw knows some parts will be coming to and end and wont include that or something. I know its negotiable too but looking for more ballpark cost. I so like my ride and wanna keep it for long time. Cars grow on you and its hard to let it go despite the depreciation lol

So guess its safe to drive my low miles and add extended warranty. But it wont cover something like turbo engine going out etc right. Just not sure what usually go out first and whats the common parts that breakdown.

Not sure why bmw warranty is bit low mileage though. Remember hyundai was loke 100k 10 year or something whoa
Extended warranty should cover a blown turbo. It won’t cover normal maintenance items like tires and brakes. Coverage is 7 years 100,000 miles.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...t_Brochure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Extended warranty should cover a blown turbo. It won’t cover normal maintenance items like tires and brakes. Coverage is 7 years 100,000 miles.

Thats great . Will let me see which should be the best fit once my original expires. Im guessing i can do so even like a month or so before it expires right? I love this car and love detailing it. As for pricing i think i remember it was like 6 or 7k etc maybe that was wrong lol
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I saw youtube post where its more of a profit business for dealers and usually things don't happen as cars are reliable these days. But you never know so i dont mind that part. However do most get extended warranties for people that wanna keep their car in long haul. Seems most bmw owner trade in after 3 to 4 years
Appreciate 1
DanG10629.00
      08-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I saw youtube post where its more of a profit business for dealers and usually things don't happen as cars are reliable these days. But you never know so i dont mind that part. However do most get extended warranties for people that wanna keep their car in long haul. Seems most bmw owner trade in after 3 to 4 years
I usually keep my cars seven plus years and have never bought an extended warranty.

I would see how your X3 behaves under warranty. If you had little or no problems I would skip the extended warranty. It costs a little more to buy the warranty later (near the end of the factory warranty) but I think waiting is worth it.
Appreciate 1
nakamuru136.50
      08-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I usually keep my cars seven plus years and have never bought an extended warranty.

I would see how your X3 behaves under warranty. If you had little or no problems I would skip the extended warranty. It costs a little more to buy the warranty later (near the end of the factory warranty) but I think waiting is worth it.
That is good idea. So far car rides great with no issue other then bluetooth connection. Im guessing cars that start well in beginning end well while some dont start well and have more issues later (sometimes). I should wait it out and the extended warranty cost might just even cover some parts that is needed and will be lot less. Did you have any major issues in the 7 years? If you got any pointers to keep it long lasting let me know!
Appreciate 1
DanG10629.00
      08-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
That is good idea. So far car rides great with no issue other then bluetooth connection. Im guessing cars that start well in beginning end well while some dont start well and have more issues later (sometimes). I should wait it out and the extended warranty cost might just even cover some parts that is needed and will be lot less. Did you have any major issues in the 7 years? If you got any pointers to keep it long lasting let me know!
The only major thing that I have had is a water pump which usually goes bad between 90K and 100K mikes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

What does pricing for the various tiers/time-frames look like, generally?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

How much for extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #12
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The only major thing that I have had is a water pump which usually goes bad between 90K and 100K mikes.
What car do you drive? I heard water pump goes bad first guess somewhat true so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #13
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:

What does pricing for the various tiers/time-frames look like, generally?
Yeah theybhave like three tiers but not sure about mileage and years
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
What car do you drive? I heard water pump goes bad first guess somewhat true so far.
I have had BMWs for over 40 years. A very common problem. Last water pump failure was on my E46 M3. I currently have an M2.
Appreciate 0