BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
MinscLovesBoo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i (finally here!)

More Tire Questions (Size and how bad is temperature for winter tires)?

So another tire thread (I’ve searched on several keywords and scanned results but didn’t see this touched on specifically) since my build was delayed so I’m triple checking some things/looking for any thoughts.

I've also learned more since my first post on tires (thank you for those responses!)

My build is coming with summer tires in winter due to the differential option (m40i).

I went with 19s on the build and have narrowed down to a few options.

A full winter tire isn’t an option for me as sometimes during the winter I drive up and over the Sierra’s down to the Bay Area in CA where you may have temps in the 60s and 70s. I also drive up to the ski resorts over the winter though...so...I will have to deal with real snow.

I’m leaning toward the vredestein quattrac pro (an all weather tire) vs the continental dws 06 (all season).

The catch is that the vredestein is a 255/50 19 vs the 245/50. Per the tire calculators it’s about 1.3% difference - so well under the 3% limit but a little over the 1% ideal.

So a few questions:
- Anyone run 255/50 vs the 245/50 and anything to watch out for other than the accuracy hit to the speed/odometer?
- Anyone here running the quattrac pro from vredestein?
- Any other all weather tires (not all season) people have run? I’ve only found the Goodyear assurance weather ready and the Toyo Celsius as other candidates that are a least 105h (the vredestein is a 107w)
- Am I overthinking the damage to and problems of winter tires at 65+ degrees? When I do these trips it might be a week (so 2 to 3 weeks over a season) running around those higher temps in stop and go/high traffic congestion (and rain instead of snow). All of that seems pretty bad for winter tires to deal with.

Thanx!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

You might want to look into Nokian WR G4 tires; they are superb in winter and yet can be run year round through moderate weather. Not quite as good as the hard core Hakkapellitta R3 or R9, but a hell of alot better than any all season rubber.

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-23-2020 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
MinscLovesBoo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
You might want to look into Nokian WR G4 tires; they are superb in winter and yet can be run year round through moderate weather. Not quite as good as the hard core Hakkapellitta R3 or R9, but a hell of alot better than any all season rubber.
I did look at those - the size differences are larger (245/45 or 255/40) and they are only 102 or 100 rated vs the 105+...so they do not seem to be an option.

The vredestein is a 3MPS rated tire/all weather (not all season) like the nokian. I really like the look of the Nokian so it was disappointing to see the limited sizes and lower rating. :/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
If you're changing all four then the size difference is not relevant to the xdrive system, only to your speedo.
The 255/50 instead of a 245/50 should be fine.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
dkreidel244.00
      01-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinscLovesBoo View Post
I did look at those - the size differences are larger (245/45 or 255/40) and they are only 102 or 100 rated vs the 105+...so they do not seem to be an option.

The vredestein is a 3MPS rated tire/all weather (not all season) like the nokian. I really like the look of the Nokian so it was disappointing to see the limited sizes and lower rating. :/
I think if you do the math on the WR G4 SUV load and speed ratings (103H, R speed) vs GVW you'll see they are fine. The WR G4 are indeed all weather, not all-season. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...ian-wr-g4-suv/

I have 245/55R19 103H WR G4 on my X3 M40; the BMW dealer installed them before I drove off the lot. All 4 tires the same size means zero X-drive concerns as verysideways notes above.

103H= 1925# max
R speed= 130 MPH
Max GVW = 5,412#

I have to admit I've not adhered to the R speed limitation The Noki's are my winter tires; I have 20" Z rated rubber for when there isn't ice on the road

I have Hakka R3's on the Bullitt; studded Hakka R9's on the 440 vert, and we had Hakka R2's on the GF's 550xi. I can't say enough good things about Nokian winter tires.

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-23-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
MinscLovesBoo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think if you do the math on the WR G4 SUV load and speed ratings (103H, R speed) vs GVW you'll see they are fine. The WR G4 are indeed all weather, not all-season. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...ian-wr-g4-suv/

I have 245/55R19 103H WR G4 on my X3 M40; the BMW dealer installed them before I drove off the lot. All 4 tires the same size means zero X-drive concerns as verysideways notes above.

103H= 1925# max
R speed= 130 MPH
Max GVW = 5,412#

I have to admit I've not adhered to the R speed limitation The Noki's are my winter tires; I have 20" Z rated rubber for when there isn't ice on the road

I have Hakka R3's on the Bullitt; studded Hakka R9's on the 440 vert, and we had Hakka R2's on the GF's 550xi. I can't say enough good things about Nokian winter tires.
A possible issue with 245/55 is that it leads to a >3% (3.37%) difference in overall tire diameter. 3% is considered the max with <1% preferred.

The 255/50 works out to 1.37%.

NOTE: All % are from online tire calculators - I did not do the math myself.

And I completely agree; the WRG4 SUV is a nice all-weather tire. The quattrac Pro is also a very nice all weather tire.

I've had a hard time finding detailed reviews on the WRG4 SUV; I've found a lot more information on the quatrac pro (or on the WRG4...but not the WRG4SUV).

And the WRG4 SUV does come in 255/50 like the Vredestein (the regular WRG4 does not) - so it is an option it seems. I'll keep hunting for more specific reviews (or comparisons) on the WRG4.

Last edited by MinscLovesBoo; 01-23-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The tire to front strut clearance is pretty tight on X-drive G01's with the stock (narrow) 7.5x19 Style 698 wheels. I know, I ran mine up on my lift to see how much clearance I had with the OE 245 section width tires. The 255 section width will clear, but not by a lot and I don't know how much it would clear at suspension fully compressed and full steering lock. I chose what I believe the lesser of evils: a little higher ride height and plenty of strut clearance for snow and ice accumulation.

BMW recommends the < 3% delta rolling diameter for diff and X-drive transfer case clutch reasons - it really doesn't apply when all 4 tires are exactly the same. A slight bonus with the taller aspect ratio is the speedo is dead on, and I get a little more ground clearance to keep the X3 from becoming a snow plow.

I was very concerned about rolling diameter differences on my staggered 20" summer tires with the optional rear diff; they are dead nuts equal front to rear.

I've heard good things about the Vreedesteins; let us know if you run them and how they work out

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-23-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
MinscLovesBoo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The tire to front strut clearance is pretty tight on X-drive G01's with the stock (narrow) 7.5x19 Style 698 wheels. I know, I ran mine up on my lift to see how much clearance I had with the OE 245 section width tires. The 255 section width will clear, but not by a lot and I don't know how much it would clear at suspension fully compressed and full steering lock. I chose what I believe the lesser of evils: a littl e higher ride height and plenty of strut clearance for snow and ice accumulation.

BMW recommends the < 3% rolling diameter delta for diff and X-drive transfer case clutch reasons - it really doesn't apply when all 4 tires are exactly the same. A slight bonus with the taller aspect ratio is the speedo is dead on, and I get a little more ground clearance to keep the X3 from becoming plow.

I was very concerned about rolling diameter differences on my staggered 20" summer tires with the optional rear diff; they are dead nuts equal front to rear.

I've heard good things about the Vreedesteins; let us know if you run them and how they work out
Thank you for all the above - that is some very useful info to have!
Appreciate 0