BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

I think the Civic Type R definitely rides rougher. I also think the Non-competition X3M rides better on the 20" wheels. An extra half inch of sidewall between you and the road is a good thing when you want comfort. Also, the M sport seats with the higher bottom bolsters are uncomfortable to me for long rides. The giant bolsters dig painfully into my thighs after a while. I didn't try them, but the standard seats look to have much lower bolsters on the seat bottom for the most comfortable man-spreading.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #24
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I drive in my X3 MC 60-70 miles daily, with no problems at all. There is also one key advantage to the sporty-firm ride. I never feel tired or sleepy even during long trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #25
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have not owned a true performance vehicle but rough ride generally does not bother me. I've ridden and driven in 911s (991) and Vettes (C5 and C7) and I didn't find them bothersome. From the accounts I read, it is tough to figure out what is hyperbole.
So I have a good amount of time in a 2010 911 GT3 (fortunate to have one in my family) and many newer 911s. Stock, the GT3 had a better overall ride quality than the X3M Comp (though probably closer to the base X3M). Now that our GT3 is setup as a real track car (i.e. no longer street legal), the ride is worse. Newer 911s (even GT3s) ride better than the X3M Comp. Macan Turbos/S's have much better ride quality as well without sacrificing much (if anything) in the corners.

C6 and C7 Vettes also ride better than the X3M Comp (and base) if they are equipped with the Magnetorheological dampers (these things really are amazing) when in their softer and even "sport" modes.

Again, just my opinion on all of this. Like others have said, take a good test drive to decide for yourself. Make sure you hit some rough/bad roads too. Better yet, see if a local dealer will let you take one home for the night to really get a sense if you can live with one on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
So I have a good amount of time in a 2010 911 GT3 (fortunate to have one in my family) and many newer 911s. Stock, the GT3 had a better overall ride quality than the X3M Comp (though probably closer to the base X3M). Now that our GT3 is setup as a real track car (i.e. no longer street legal), the ride is worse. Newer 911s (even GT3s) ride better than the X3M Comp. Macan Turbos/S's have much better ride quality as well without sacrificing much (if anything) in the corners.

C6 and C7 Vettes also ride better than the X3M Comp (and base) if they are equipped with the Magnetorheological dampers (these things really are amazing) when in their softer and even "sport" modes.

Again, just my opinion on all of this. Like others have said, take a good test drive to decide for yourself. Make sure you hit some rough/bad roads too. Better yet, see if a local dealer will let you take one home for the night to really get a sense if you can live with one on a daily basis.
Thank you for this. Very helpful. As others suggested, I will definitely do an appropriate test drive. One I did was short and on good roads, as noted before.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Thank you for this. Very helpful. As others suggested, I will definitely do an appropriate test drive. One I did was short and on good roads, as noted before.
Compared to my previous "sporty" cars, I would make this "firmness order", if this helps at all:

Stock GT-R (firmest)>pimped M4>X3 MC=X3 M40i (run-flats)>
Audi S5 4.2>Caddy ATS-V (most comfortable)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #28
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Initially we did not think that the X3MC with the stock 21's was all that much different in ride quality than our 2018 X3 M40i with 19's and non-run flats (non-Adaptive M suspension). However, after having the X3MC now for close to 2 months and driving many of the same roads, the X3MC is clearly a firmer ride, but at the same time not unbearable by any means.

I am contemplating a new BMW for my daily driver sometime this summer (I drive about 18,000+ miles a year). I would likely get a new M40i with the 20 inch wheels and Adaptive M Suspension and then tune it. I think it would be a nice addition to go with her X3MC.
      01-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #29
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

At last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
The first question I guess given all the random comments about the ride from every angle is understandable, for me it's better than my F80 M3 but much firmer than my F10 M5 (but that car was too soft for a performance car stock) It deals with most issues very well however cats eyes and some sharp ridges illicit a thump from the tyres. But you need to drive the car you cannot go on anyone else's opinion but your own.

The second question I find a bit odd but I'll try. 8th is a massive gear, geared to around 300mph at max rpm it'll change up into 8th at around 60mph on the flat but if you call for more it'll drop down if in auto, as it wants to give you more, it's seamless and instant and a non issue in fact it's one of the gearboxes best features it'll go from 8th to 4th in a nano second giving you huge amounts of punch, this car is set up to and wants to go fast. (That's in D1 with sport+ throttle)

Counter that to my old F10 M5 with MDCT that thing would go to sleep in 7th at 75mph call for more and it would do nothing you'd really have to plant it to wake it up and then all hell would break loose, the X3M is so much better in that regard you can drive the gearbox beautifully on the throttle.
Finally someone else complaining about that M5 DCT. Used to drive me crazy. Either it would do nothing or you’d need to floor the gas or start pushing buttons. I hated it when you’d pass people at 6000rpm in 3rd when all you needed was 6th and a few more rpm
Appreciate 0