BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 335i M-Sport Sedan

Have car delivered from another state?

I’m excited. It looks like I’ll be doing a deal on an X3M over the next few days.

My options are:
  1. X3M in Graphite with Exec and Driving Assistance Plus (local - great deal)
  2. X3MC in Alpine White+Sakhir interior with Exec (local - good deal)
  3. X3MC in Sapphire Black+ merino’/alcantara interior with Exec and Driving Assistance Plus (different state - great deal)

My preference is #3 but it’s in another state. I think it will cost me $1k to sign remotely and have it shipped to Metro Detroit.

I’m leasing and if I do the remote deal I’m working through a “broker.” Does anyone have experience doing this? Anything I should be worried about?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
what are the deal specifics? why don’t you factory order exactly what you want and get delivered locally?
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

No worries about out of state deals . Have done many
most if not all dealers use national companies to do paper work
shipping cost will be extra , but may be have dealer take care of it as part of the deal
also it seems out of state will cost you broker fees , so you have to look at overall cost
also look at Doc fees and other dealer fees because that vary by state and dealership
for example in PA doc fees are 130 and dealer fees are 200-250
in virginia doc fees are 800 and dealer fees are 500-600
most states set the allowable Doc fees and obviously dealers charge the max
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
No worries about out of state deals . Have done many
most if not all dealers use national companies to do paper work
shipping cost will be extra , but may be have dealer take care of it as part of the deal
also it seems out of state will cost you broker fees , so you have to look at overall cost
also look at Doc fees and other dealer fees because that vary by state and dealership
for example in PA doc fees are 130 and dealer fees are 200-250
in virginia doc fees are 800 and dealer fees are 500-600
most states set the allowable Doc fees and obviously dealers charge the max
Awesome - this helps a lot. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitz View Post
what are the deal specifics? why don’t you factory order exactly what you want and get delivered locally?
The black X3MC is $784/mo (36/12) with MSDs and $3k DAS (fees and first payment). To me it’s a great deal. I don’t have a ton of experience with these crazy lease deals.

I still need to figure the out of state signing, broker fees, and shipping fees into that, as M3PGH pointed out.

Great point about ordering. I was under the impression that it’s a little harder to negotiate on orders. Maybe I’m wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrugged View Post
I’m excited. It looks like I’ll be doing a deal on an X3M over the next few days.

My options are:
  1. X3M in Graphite with Exec and Driving Assistance Plus (local - great deal)
  2. X3MC in Alpine White+Sakhir interior with Exec (local - good deal)
  3. X3MC in Sapphire Black+ merino’/alcantara interior with Exec and Driving Assistance Plus (different state - great deal)

My preference is #3 but it’s in another state. I think it will cost me $1k to sign remotely and have it shipped to Metro Detroit.

I’m leasing and if I do the remote deal I’m working through a “broker.” Does anyone have experience doing this? Anything I should be worried about?
Every dealer I spoke to out of state said that Bmw requires you to be present when leasing a new vehicle . They claim no exceptions .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
Every dealer I spoke to out of state said that Bmw requires you to be present when leasing a new vehicle . They claim no exceptions .
I think the brokers have figured out a way to do it. They have you meet a notary and mail the documents or something. Costs money and isn’t simple (not an online DocuSign or anything) but it’s doable from what I’ve been told.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
The black X3MC is $784/mo (36/12) with MSDs and $3k DAS (fees and first payment). To me it’s a great deal. I don’t have a ton of experience with these crazy lease deals.

I still need to figure the out of state signing, broker fees, and shipping fees into that, as M3PGH pointed out.

Great point about ordering. I was under the impression that it’s a little harder to negotiate on orders. Maybe I’m wrong?
What were the actual price and discounts and incentives you got? I was able to get a dealership to take 10% off msrp before incentives for a factory build
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think the brokers have figured out a way to do it. They have you meet a notary and mail the documents or something. Costs money and isn’t simple (not an online DocuSign or anything) but it’s doable from what I’ve been told.
I am not sure but was really surprised when they said you must be present and that there was no way around it .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think if you do the out of state deal you should keep a low profile about the name of the dealer because i was pretty convinced that they are not allowed to do it without you being present but I am guessing the deal will go down as if you were there ( wink wink ) as far as Bmw is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think if you do the out of state deal you should keep a low profile about the name of the dealer because i was pretty convinced that they are not allowed to do it without you being present but I am guessing the deal will go down as if you were there ( wink wink ) as far as Bmw is concerned.
Yeah good call. It’s always tough to know how much to share when soliciting input from people.

I think you’re right.

I’m definitely thankful for everything that has been said so far. Hopefully I’ll be joining this gang officially soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
not true , just helped my friend lease an M4CS 3 months ago and all paper work was done by FEDEX
also a year ago bought my son M2 from NY state and paper work done at home
only concern for dealer is identity theft and if they are suspicious they can send a public notary, independent , to verify identity and you sign in front of them.
Had to do that once out of over twenty times or so out of state purchases
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
not true , just helped my friend lease an M4CS 3 months ago and all paper work was done by FEDEX
only concern for dealer is identity theft and if they are suspicious they can send a public notary, independent , to verify identity and you sign in front of them.
That's good to know. Based on the conversations I've had I started to believe that the notary (and associated costs - I've heard up to $200) were the standard practice.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It’s not the dealer requiring this ,as I am told , it is Bmw. It was many dealers telling me this not just one . Not saying it can’t be done but I am pretty sure it’s not ok with bmw . Your Friend may have done it through fed ex but I bet the dealer didn’t share this with bmw . I am basing this on many conversations with dealers in Pa , Chicago , Utah , California , etc ...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #15
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I will get more details if you like and perhaps it’s a fairly new Bmw requirement but there is no doubt it’s something they are requiring .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #16
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I will get more details if you like and perhaps it’s a fairly new Bmw requirement but there is no doubt it’s something they are requiring .
Same goes for jaguar /land rover . They said no exceptions .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #17
Moniquersvp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Out of state dealer just told me $240 for maverick notary cost for loan- they contract with company that brings me paperwork-Penske dealership
I am picking up car in Bmw center in spartenberg
once it’s built
Any advice on taxes and registration-am I penalized by buying out of state or does it go to my state taxes and registration?
If custom car, do I pay on total up front or deposit until it’s done?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

We've not leased, but we've purchased many cars from out of state dealers. Some, we've had them ship, & others we've driven/flown out to & driven back home. It should be a piece of cake, especially if you're purchasing a new car.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, but it is now prohibited by bmw. Ask the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
We've not leased, but we've purchased many cars from out of state dealers. Some, we've had them ship, & others we've driven/flown out to & driven back home. It should be a piece of cake, especially if you're purchasing a new car.
Actually it is quite the opposite. The Bmw dealers are allowed to make the out of state sale to you without you being present if it is a used car, but not new. So it is not a piece of cake.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #21
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Actually it is quite the opposite. The Bmw dealers are allowed to make the out of state sale to you without you being present if it is a used car, but not new. So it is not a piece of cake.
Interesting. Did not know that. Wonder why the wonky rules?
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Being in Michigan you may want to pay attention to the state the car is coming from. It would suck to have your new X3M delivered with a front license plate bracket drilled in when you live in a state that doesn't require it.
Appreciate 0