BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2018, 12:59 AM   #23
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMF View Post
Here is a link that shows the proper adjustment of the roof panels. You migh want to check to make sure everything is lined up as a first step.

I lubed the outside rubber seals at the back of the glass panel and roof junction, where I was getting a rattle. Has been quiet since I did this.

http://https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g01-x3-m40i-sav/repair-manuals/54-slide-tilt-sunroof-soft-top/54-13-panorama-glass-roof/1VncAyrjQh
Good link - thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

My car is back in the shop to repair the failed ambient lighting on the front driver and passenger doors and to fix the rattling pano roof. I’ve taken several test drives now with the shop foreman to identify the rattling. He says he clearly hears it I’m going on my second week waiting for it to repaired. Funny thing is, my x3 loaner is doing the same thing. It is much more faint but it has a rattle as well. Fingers crossed for mine to be fixed but I have a feeling it is going to be a situation of the tech lubricating the seal and it will come back every few months.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

I finally got my car back today and after months of a rattling pano roof, I’m happy to report it is now absolutely quiet as a mouse. I was concerned this would be a half-hearted attempt but after insisting on the issue an inally isolating the rattle, it appears to be fixed. I’m still waiting for the paperwork to be provided with the repair detail but apparently they removed my whole glass roof and added padding that was apparently missing from the factory. Now if I can just get my ambient lighting repaired correctly, I can finally fully enjoy my new vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #26
Chapter Two
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3

Had this as a recurrent issue with my 2015. Never fully located or fixed. Closing the pano was the only resolution.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #27
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
I finally got my car back today and after months of a rattling pano roof, I’m happy to report it is now absolutely quiet as a mouse. I was concerned this would be a half-hearted attempt but after insisting on the issue an inally isolating the rattle, it appears to be fixed. I’m still waiting for the paperwork to be provided with the repair detail but apparently they removed my whole glass roof and added padding that was apparently missing from the factory. Now if I can just get my ambient lighting repaired correctly, I can finally fully enjoy my new vehicle.
Thanks for the info! Super helpful for the rest of us dealing with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #28
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Why would anybody get this option? I prefer metal or carbon fiber over my head incase of a role-over/accident.

More moving parts more problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #29
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Why would anybody get this option?
Do you realize the obliviousness you demonstrate by asking this question? Try finding a G01 X3 on a dealer lot without a sunroof. Please. Go try it now and come back to us with your findings.

IIRC, deleting the sunroof wasn't even an option until 2019 MY, and delivery of those vehicles just started in the last week, so...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #30
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I don't tend to open the roof very often but i do love the light.
If there was an option to have the glass roof but with no moving parts i'd probably choose that.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2
JoshV14.50
      08-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #31
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

I wish closing the roof would make stop rattling. Sadly, mine rattles rather open or closed. I thought it was fixed but I think it may be coming back. It seems to rattle the most the cooler it is outside. Should be awesome come winter time.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #32
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
More moving parts more problems.
Right that's why I prefer manual windows as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #33
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
Quote:
I wish closing the roof would make stop rattling. Sadly, mine rattles rather open or closed. I thought it was fixed but I think it may be coming back. It seems to rattle the most the cooler it is outside. Should be awesome come winter time.
Resurrecting an old thread. Did you ever get this fully resolved? My 4 week old M40i has a very similar rattle which I am 95% sure is coming from the piano roof. It happens open or closed and is very noticeable on any rough roads. Seems to be getting worse too. It looks like the dealer fixed yours but it came back? Did they ever find a permanent fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #34
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread. Did you ever get this fully resolved? My 4 week old M40i has a very similar rattle which I am 95% sure is coming from the piano roof. It happens open or closed and is very noticeable on any rough roads. Seems to be getting worse too. It looks like the dealer fixed yours but it came back? Did they ever find a permanent fix?
So glad you brought this back up. My month old M40 has the same issue and it seems to be getting worse. It’s hard to describe the pitch/tone of the rattle, but it’s definitely in the pano area. Let’s hear what the fix was... I’m not too keen on having the headliner and cassette removed on a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #35
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No permanent fix. My car was replaced by BMW because of defective ambient lighting. My replacement car has the same pano rattle. I’m going to take it in after the holidays. I love my x3 but I hope the quality control with this model is not representative for future models.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #36
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
No permanent fix. My car was replaced by BMW because of defective ambient lighting. My replacement car has the same pano rattle. I’m going to take it in after the holidays. I love my x3 but I hope the quality control with this model is not representative for future models.
They gave you a new car just because of the ambient lighting???
      12-31-2018, 12:47 AM   #37
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
I’m still waiting for the paperwork to be provided with the repair detail but apparently they removed my whole glass roof and added padding that was apparently missing from the factory.
This seems to be the fix. Good to know. Hopefully mine had this issue resolved and doesn't have a "missing padding" from the factory.
      12-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #38
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
They gave you a new car just because of the ambient lighting???
I’m sure they did, with him paying a big contribution towards the new one!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #39
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
I’m sure they did, with him paying a big contribution towards the new one!
No. It was a buy back from bmw because of the amount of time my car was in the shop versus my ownership. The details are in another thread. Meanwhile, my new vehicle has the same rattle and I need to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #40
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No. It was a buy back from bmw because of the amount of time my car was in the shop versus my ownership. The details are in another thread. Meanwhile, my new vehicle has the same rattle and I need to get it fixed.
Sorry to hear that but maybe gives me a little hope that you still believe it can be fixed. Happy with the purchase otherwise but the rattle is going to drive me nuts unless I can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I don't have any rattle on my Pano roof. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my car is still young (not quite 3months old). I opened the roof less than a handful of times just to test it early on, but keep it closed 99.9% of the time. Not sure if this non-usage makes any difference :
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

I keep mine closed 98% of the time. The rattle seems to my ears be coming from the join of the fixed glass and the moving portion. In my previous car, I could push two fingers on the middle of the join seam (look for small hole) and the rattle would stop. It is definitely temperature induced. Seems to rattle anytime below 70 degrees.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #43
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just took mine for a long drive to see if I could isolate the rattle definitively to the roof. I can confirm it is there and the rattle happens whether it is open or closed. I did notice though that at speeds about 75mph it is greatly reduced or nonexistent. (I briefly thought about only driving above 75...). When I was done I happened to wash my car and then went for another drive and I noticed post wash that the rattle was gone. Interestingly, I have noticed that the rattle is much less in the early AM and now I am guessing that there is enough mostisure in the AM and post car wash to eliminate the rattle. But when the moisture dries it returns. I’ve read on other forums that lubricating the seals around the roof works for others so I am going to give that a try. Not a permanent fix but if getting rid of the rattle meant lubricating it every once in a while it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #44
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Just took mine for a long drive to see if I could isolate the rattle definitively to the roof. I can confirm it is there and the rattle happens whether it is open or closed. I did notice though that at speeds about 75mph it is greatly reduced or nonexistent. (I briefly thought about only driving above 75...). When I was done I happened to wash my car and then went for another drive and I noticed post wash that the rattle was gone. Interestingly, I have noticed that the rattle is much less in the early AM and now I am guessing that there is enough mostisure in the AM and post car wash to eliminate the rattle. But when the moisture dries it returns. I’ve read on other forums that lubricating the seals around the roof works for others so I am going to give that a try. Not a permanent fix but if getting rid of the rattle meant lubricating it every once in a while it is worth it.
It is plausible that the rattle results from rubber trims rubbing against each other and a little silicone could help (also not a bad idea to have the silicone applied to rubber seal in winter to prevent freezing in general). Keep us posted. Thanks.
Appreciate 0