BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #89
leogrrl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 x30i

Hi there. I now have this rattle on my 2019 G01, which has 9,500 miles on it. It was intermittent over the fall but is now pretty constant. It is driving me crazy.

I'm glad I found this thread, though I'm sorry so many others are experiencing this. I'll try lubricant this weekend.

Do you have any tips for applying it? One or more coats? Thick or thin? Focused on the exterior/top area or thoroughly covering the entire seal, inside and out? I would appreciate hearing how others have done this.

Thanks!
      12-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #90
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

I've had the same rattle, dealer fixed under warranty. They've removed the roof, cleaned the rubbers, placed it back and adjusted it. Took a couple of hours, but now it has been gone for 6 months...
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #91
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogrrl View Post
Hi there. I now have this rattle on my 2019 G01, which has 9,500 miles on it. It was intermittent over the fall but is now pretty constant. It is driving me crazy.

I'm glad I found this thread, though I'm sorry so many others are experiencing this. I'll try lubricant this weekend.

Do you have any tips for applying it? One or more coats? Thick or thin? Focused on the exterior/top area or thoroughly covering the entire seal, inside and out? I would appreciate hearing how others have done this.

Thanks!
I had same issue and brought to the dealer. They tried but didn't fix it. I ended up fixing it myself by adjusting the two roof panels. Takes many attempts but I finally got it...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #92
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdW86 View Post
I've had the same rattle, dealer fixed under warranty. They've removed the roof, cleaned the rubbers, placed it back and adjusted it. Took a couple of hours, but now it has been gone for 6 months...
Same story. Had rattles went to the dealer a few times until they removed and adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #93
charliemolain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xdrive30i (G01)

Angry same here, brand new Car

Same problem, what is going on with BMW?

Brand new car and had some noises in the cargo area, minor but annoying. The driver's door seems not to close well sometimes and the wind noise is also annoying when this problem happens. The cup holders in the backseat, cheap plastic... had a F48 before and it was way better in that matter.

Here is a video of the sunroof rattle:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qdOycW5q0b8

Last edited by charliemolain; 01-07-2020 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: youtube video link
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #94
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

I took delivery of a new 2020 M40i about a month ago. Right off the bat I had what I thought was a sunroof rattle near the rear. I traced it however to the rear cargo cover. When it is not in use it moves just enough to make some noise. Once I retracted, all good.

I had a few other rattles/noises too that I attributed to door seals. Treated all seals twice (including sunroof) with gummi pfledge and all is quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #95
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
I had this same issue and found that it varied by temperature and moisture. Dryer and colder meant more rattles. Wet and warmer meant no rattles. lubricating the rubber around the roof seemed to fix it. I have not had the same issues since.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #96
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
I had this same issue and found that it varied by temperature and moisture. Dryer and colder meant more rattles. Wet and warmer meant no rattles. lubricating the rubber around the roof seemed to fix it. I have not had the same issues since.
I have seen (heard) the same thing here in Houston....with the recent cooler weather, I definitely hear more noise from the roof....during the hot/humid summer, no noises at all...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #97
redwineday
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hi all,

I had the same problem, rattle coming from the rear of the car, which I spent ages trying to locate rolling around in the back of the car. Has been driving me nuts. I thought it was trim rubbing but after reading this thread discovered it was coming from the pano roof.

First step I tried silicone spray in the opening section of the roof. went for a drive, same rattle.

Second step, tried spraying the interior section of the roof opening (I had convinced myself it was the opening section).No change.

Third step. Squirted the silicone into the seals on the exterior of the non opening section.

Success. No rattle!!

It seems to have been the rear section of the roof and I think in particular the corners. The spray must have worked its way through the seals to the interior part that was rubbing.

Peace restored...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #98
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had roof noise since day one. I use to put grease or the lubrication around the seal and it worked for a day or two and the noise came back. I stopped using them few months ago since I found that it could gunk up the dust and could potentially plug the roof drain.

After 10 month and over 10,000 km of driving, I am glad to said I found the source of all the noises.

1. There is noise coming from the back of the fix glass. It is caused by the glass contact with the seal. As the glass vibrates it makes the noise. I put foams under the two corners under the glass to support the glass from moving up and down the noise was gone.

2. There is noise from the front of the fix glass, when over bumps, the glass vibrates and hits the rail making ticking noise. I put foams under the two front corners, noise is gone. (This one takes me the money of time to find)

3. The back of the moving glass. The glass vibrates and his the rubber flare on the edge of the front of the fix glass makes ticking noise. I put few very thin foam tapes on the groove under the edge of the moving glass. Close the roof fully and then loosen the back mounting screws on both passenger side and driver side. Push down the glass then tighten the screws back. After that, the two glasses will have very little movement while going over bumps.

4. Noise from the front of the moving glass contacting the seal. I have to adjust the moving glass completely since the glass was sitting too far back. I have to loosen the 4 screws that holds the moving glass and push the glass a bit forward.

I have been driving for 3 days now. No noise from the roof. The car becomes very quite. I also fix the noises from the plastic trim pieces in the trunk. The car is pretty quite now. Much more relax during driving now
Appreciate 1
dmicah769.00
      01-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #99
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujing View Post

1. There is noise coming from the back of the fix glass. It is caused by the glass contact with the seal. As the glass vibrates it makes the noise. I put foams under the two corners under the glass to support the glass from moving up and down the noise was gone.

2. There is noise from the front of the fix glass, when over bumps, the glass vibrates and hits the rail making ticking noise. I put foams under the two front corners, noise is gone. (This one takes me the money of time to find)

3. The back of the moving glass. The glass vibrates and his the rubber flare on the edge of the front of the fix glass makes ticking noise. I put few very thin foam tapes on the groove under the edge of the moving glass. Close the roof fully and then loosen the back mounting screws on both passenger side and driver side. Push down the glass then tighten the screws back. After that, the two glasses will have very little movement while going over bumps.

4. Noise from the front of the moving glass contacting the seal. I have to adjust the moving glass completely since the glass was sitting too far back. I have to loosen the 4 screws that holds the moving glass and push the glass a bit forward.
Fujing that's super helpful! Any chance you've got a link to the foam you used?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #100
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will take some photos tonight
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #101
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This is the front of the fix glass
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #102
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This is the back of the fix glass. I used thicker and firmer foam for the fix glass to get a better support.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #103
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For the channel under the back of the moving glass, I used the very thin and soft foam. Two close to each side and one in the middle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #104
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I also adjusted the back of the moving glass to make it firmly sit on the front of the fix glass
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #105
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Good for you but you should not have to be doing this on a brand new car at this price point or any new car. I kept leaving it at the dealer until they figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #106
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

Quote:
I had roof noise since day one. I use to put grease or the lubrication around the seal and it worked for a day or two and the noise came back. I stopped using them few months ago since I found that it could gunk up the dust and could potentially plug the roof drain.

After 10 month and over 10,000 km of driving, I am glad to said I found the source of all the noises.

I have been driving for 3 days now. No noise from the roof. The car becomes very quite. I also fix the noises from the plastic trim pieces in the trunk. The car is pretty quite now. Much more relax during driving now
Can you explain what you did to silence the plastic trim noises from the trunk? I have been chasing this for a year now with still no lasting results. Any advice will be welcome
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:43 AM   #107
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I don't have a pano roof in my new X4 but had one in my 535 GT. The roof became a rattling mess, I brought to the dealer after a year or so and they told me that it was maintenance item to clean, adjust and lube, so I said OK... When I picked up the car I was told that they spent a few hours working on it, but were unable to completely eliminate the rattle so there was no charge. To me that was a win as it was significantly improved and cost me nothing. Obviously on a brand new car no one wants a rattle, but if they are unwilling to work on the issue maybe this is another approach?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #108
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
Good for you but you should not have to be doing this on a brand new car at this price point or any new car. I kept leaving it at the dealer until they figured it out.
I totally agree with you. It was a 10,000+ km trial and error for me to get this issue 100% resolved. I can't count how many different kinds of pot holes and rough road surfaces I was intentionally driving through. And how many times I adjusted the sunroof panels and seals. I can't expect the dealer could spend the same amount of time and effort to get the issue fixed to the same level of expectation as me. I did bring the car in once but nothing was improved..
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #109
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Tokke. See if you have the same noise as me. When you press down from the top of the panel (at the location shown by the upper arrow) check if the noise is from the panel gap pointing by the lower arrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #110
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

As a side note to this rattle discussion, I believe the run flat tires contribute to rough ride and resonance in the cabin and therefore heighten any rattles in the car. I've noted this on all recent BMW's I have owned.

I had my 2020 X3 M40i delivered with 20" Conti DWS06 all season non run flat's. Smooth ride and all quiet inside the cabin except for more wind noise from the front doors than I would like.

I did have some rattles in the rear initially which I traced to the cargo cover. Once fully retracted and put in place, all quiet. Had a couple of squeaky door seals too, but gummi pfledge took care of that.
Appreciate 0