BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
The.bands
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D Msport+

Is my emergency warning/braking function working?

Not sure this is working?

I don't seem to get any warning light/bell when closing on traffic, today I deliberately tried to provoke the function by leaving my braking very late in city traffic conditions. Seems I am able to close on a stopped vehicle (sub 20 mph speeds) and I am within a few feet and still nothing is happening, no warnings, no emergency intervention.
Basically I have been playing chicken agains the cars supposed functions and the car has won every time as it has been me that has braked first. The car did intervene on one occasion but only the once out of maybe 20 attempts and the circumstances were no different, in fact I was probably further away from the car in front on that one time than all of the others. There was no prior warning on the display, the display and the emergency braking happened simultaneously.

I have the collision warning set to 'early'. At what distance/speeds should the system be activating in your experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Remember the brakes are very good and the intervention is going to be very last minute so you are going to need big balls to win at chicken
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      01-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Well mine only activates at random times when there is nothing in front of me so I think you got the better deal here

I set it to late activation and the active braking occurrences are way down but I still get the blinking/beeping red car in the dash for no good reason sometimes.

I do not trust the feature and would prefer it to be completely disabled personally. There may be something wrong with your sensors because most threads on the topic are more along the lines of my experience.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      01-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Got serious questions over mine too. Has occasionally flashed when turning into a side road and picking up a parked car, but like the OP, doesn't seem to intervene when expected. In 15 months, its intervened twice only.

Other family car is a 2019 Qashqai and that does work. Had interventions in situations the X3 hasn't/didnt, but likely because they work differently.

Planning to rig up a test down my lane which is a narrow cut-de-sac using an old sheet strung up. May be cheaper than asking dealer to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Bernie2x
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 (2018) 2.0d

Make sure it reflects electromagnetic waves and has roughly the outline of a car
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
The.bands
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D Msport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
Remember the brakes are very good and the intervention is going to be very last minute so you are going to need big balls to win at chicken
True but I thought you were at least supposed to get the warning light (red car symbol) on the display?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
AdrianG01
Rep
Drives: X3 G01

Well, there's a reason these systems are not allowed to be tested when the car is given for reviews with the press. They are not 100% foolproof yet.
So just keep driving like you didn't have them and perhaps sometimes they will get you out of trouble, but don't rely on them, ever.
Appreciate 0