BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
SRHinVA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

MSRP--Lease vs. Buy

Is there any delta in MSRP flexibility from the dealership perspective in a lease versus buy scenario? I've read of several getting 10%+ off on this board for leases, but trying to figure out if one vs the other is more attractive for the dealer. Going to do what I normally do and take the BMW financing and pay off early, but had a few dealers here in the mid-atlantic look at me like I was crazy when proposing 10%+/- off as the starting salvo. Some element of gamesmanship with their visceral reaction and soon to be starving children due to my offer, I'm sure, but there are a ton of these things around (90+ within 200 miles) and some dealers having 7+ on the lot. Many thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHinVA View Post
Is there any delta in MSRP flexibility from the dealership perspective in a lease versus buy scenario? I've read of several getting 10%+ off on this board for leases, but trying to figure out if one vs the other is more attractive for the dealer. Going to do what I normally do and take the BMW financing and pay off early, but had a few dealers here in the mid-atlantic look at me like I was crazy when proposing 10%+/- off as the starting salvo. Some element of gamesmanship with their visceral reaction and soon to be starving children due to my offer, I'm sure, but there are a ton of these things around (90+ within 200 miles) and some dealers having 7+ on the lot. Many thanks for any insight.
The 10% off is before incentives and it doesn’t matter if you lease or buy. Only incentives change. Any dealer that laughs at your 10% off is full of crap. Tons of dealers in MD,DC,northern VA will take that deal in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991TT, F90 M5C, R230 SL55 AMG

It's been covered in several thread, but 9-10% off before incentives is pretty much the norm. With some effort, luck, and a motivated dealer 12% can be done. Beyond 12% seems to be very tough.

As noted above, the main difference between lease v. buy is that the incentives through BMW can differ (this also changes each month).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

12.5% off is the most I have seen on a non demo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitz View Post
The 10% off is before incentives and it doesn’t matter if you lease or buy. Only incentives change. Any dealer that laughs at your 10% off is full of crap. Tons of dealers in MD,DC,northern VA will take that deal in a heartbeat.
100 % agree
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
12.5% off is the most I have seen on a non demo
What can someone expect for a demo???

...asking for a friend.............
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
What can someone expect for a demo???

...asking for a friend.............
Obviously a more significant discount, prob 15-20%. But be aware there is a lease penalty (I think the residual is reduced) for demo cars based upon the mileage so it doesnt always end up being significantly cheaper to lease.
Appreciate 0