BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #45
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
it's entirely possible this is key fob related. of all the posts about the door randomly opening, has anyone had their key fobs replaced? as in both (or key fob and smart key, if the person has this setup) and had entirely new keys coded to their car?

I know the keys are IMMENSELY complex. when I went into my dealer for the maintenance, he just took the key, plugged it into a small reader on his desk, and out spat everything to do with the car. exact last reading of my odometer, temperature inside and outside of car, tire pressures. EVERYTHING on the onboard computer pretty much.

So they are definitely packing a ton of crap into that tiny device. all electronic. so i would assume a fault could easily happen somewhere.

just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #46
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
it's entirely possible this is key fob related. of all the posts about the door randomly opening, has anyone had their key fobs replaced? as in both (or key fob and smart key, if the person has this setup) and had entirely new keys coded to their car?

I know the keys are IMMENSELY complex. when I went into my dealer for the maintenance, he just took the key, plugged it into a small reader on his desk, and out spat everything to do with the car. exact last reading of my odometer, temperature inside and outside of car, tire pressures. EVERYTHING on the onboard computer pretty much.

So they are definitely packing a ton of crap into that tiny device. all electronic. so i would assume a fault could easily happen somewhere.

just a thought.
The keys have done that since the E90 generation!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #47
RSASupra
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i, 2022 X3M Comp…

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
I have never used the trunk button on the fob. Come to think of it, I have never used any of the buttons on the fob. I just carry the fob in a hard protector and use comfort access to get in and out. I open the trunk by pressing the button under the BMW logo, or I occasionally use kick to open.

However, your point is valid. The fob could still be experiencing a malfunction. I will discuss this with the dealer because they did not mention troubleshooting the fob. Thanks!
What hard cover do you have?

I tried the M cover made out of alcantara with CF and it is too thick to fit comfortably in my pocket.

Thanks!

All,

I have experienced the random trunk opening both on rainy wet days and not.

I have noticed the chirp of the doors locking or unlocking while the key is in my pocket. I had the dealer reprogram the trunk button, but there isn't an option to require a double click. They programmed the button to not respond if the car is locked. Hence the need for a key cover...

PS: It's great when it opens because it blocks the garage door from opening completely on my detached garage so I have to climb under the slightly raised door. Doing so in the rain was great...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #48
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Problem with the accidental opening of the trunk is that the time thats required to press the remote button is too short.

I would like to set the needed time to 5 sec or something.

I found this on another forum

"For a coding solution, change FEM_BODY > RC_TIME_DELAY_BOOTLID to Werte=FF. You now need to keep the button pressed for a full 25 seconds (which is unlikely to happen by accident) in order for the trunk to open. The default setting opens the trunk after the button is pressed for 0.5 seconds."

Whats the logic on the Werte? Could i set it to 4/5/6?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #49
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdW86 View Post
Problem with the accidental opening of the trunk is that the time thats required to press the remote button is too short.

"For a coding solution, change FEM_BODY > RC_TIME_DELAY_BOOTLID to Werte=FF. You now need to keep the button pressed for a full 25 seconds (which is unlikely to happen by accident) in order for the trunk to open. The default setting opens the trunk after the button is pressed for 0.5 seconds."

Interesting

Werte mean VALUE
FF if it is HEX, covert to DEC it is 255
So if we want 5 sec, the value should be 32?

Werte=32 will give us 5 sec delay?
      05-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #50
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Try to share it in this thread might help: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477248. Nice find!
      05-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #51
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Quote:

Interesting

Werte mean VALUE

Yeah it's probably deciseconds, in hex.
I was thinking I should change mine, but reasoned that if I am pressing it in a pocket or similar, it might be much longer than the time I would like to press the button to open it, so a better solution would be to code it to only open if car is unlocked.
      05-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #52
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

I found somewhere that Werte 1E should be 3 or 4 seconds. Will try it next week if i find the time
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #53
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I found somewhere that Werte 1E should be 3 or 4 seconds. Will try it next week if i find the time
oh, 3-4 sec will be perfect. please report back

I feel going into expert mode is scarey. but there are couple things I want to code are in expert mode.
      05-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #54
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Quote:

Interesting

Werte mean VALUE

Yeah it's probably deciseconds, in hex.
I was thinking I should change mine, but reasoned that if I am pressing it in a pocket or similar, it might be much longer than the time I would like to press the button to open it, so a better solution would be to code it to only open if car is unlocked.
Is that possible to do in Bimmercode? I looked and the options listed on the website and didn't really understand the trunk section
      05-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #55
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Is that possible to do in Bimmercode? I looked and the options listed on the website and didn't really understand the trunk section
If u know the "path" and value, it can be done in expert mode. There you have access to all fdl codes.
      05-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #56
lucho831
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
thestuarts Thanks for posting your ongoing experiences with this. I'm awaiting delivery of my M40i and I'm unsure what to do about all this. My biggest concern is this will happen while going through a carwash. The damage could be very bad in that case and I don't fancy trying to fight with BMW to pay for it.

So far I think I have seen a couple of potential workarounds posted.

1. Have the dealer code the car so that the trunk will never open when the car is locked
2. Have the dealer disable the kick-to-open feature (at least I'm assuming that is a dealer code option?)

Anything else that can be done? I know neither of the above are ideal as we lose functionality in either case.
I frequently have my dog in the back, this issue scares the sh&% out of me. Can the vehicle be taken to any BMW dealership to have the car coded and kick to open feature disabled?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #57
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho831 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
thestuarts Thanks for posting your ongoing experiences with this. I'm awaiting delivery of my M40i and I'm unsure what to do about all this. My biggest concern is this will happen while going through a carwash. The damage could be very bad in that case and I don't fancy trying to fight with BMW to pay for it.

So far I think I have seen a couple of potential workarounds posted.

1. Have the dealer code the car so that the trunk will never open when the car is locked
2. Have the dealer disable the kick-to-open feature (at least I'm assuming that is a dealer code option?)

Anything else that can be done? I know neither of the above are ideal as we lose functionality in either case.
I frequently have my dog in the back, this issue scares the sh&% out of me. Can the vehicle be taken to any BMW dealership to have the car coded and kick to open feature disabled?
In my case I asked the dealer to disable the kick to open sensor before I took delivery. It sounds like they needed to physically disconnect it, i.e. it was not done through code. That doesn't mean it cannot be done in code, just they did not know how.

As you might guess, I have not had any issues since taking delivery about 6 weeks ago. Plenty rainy days and car washes have passed without incident.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #58
Vlad X6M
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

Garage List
2015 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Thanks for heads up. About to take mine in the garage to have it checked out. Luckily nothing was missing as it opened during night. WTF
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #59
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Has anyone been able to confirm what FDL values need coded to stop this happening?

*Edit*

Just seen the responses above. Will test this tonight.

Last edited by i4M50Guy; 08-30-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #60
Mikesky2020
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW '18 X1; '14 X3; '14 320iX

Happened with my 2018 X1with the tailgate sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Is this only an issue with the X3, or have any X4 owners noticed it as well, or even X5 owners too?
This happened for the first time with my 2018 X1 with the tailgate sensor. Twice this week it has been with snow on the ground and after driving around and then parked. Locked the car with the comfort access handle, beeps to confirm locking, started walking away and close enough to the trunk that it started to open and stopped half way.
Key has the leather key fob cover in my pocket, pretty sure did not press it by accident. Both times after I locked the car.
Have a service appointment scheduled next week
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:42 AM   #61
wyatt00earp
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40I

Fuse

Fuse 275 in the hatch back right panel area. This fuse will shut the hatch sensors off.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:50 AM   #62
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

There's a collection of different scenarios for the truck opening where Comfort Access is installed.

If the trunk opens when you're out of the car and the key is in range of the car then likely it's an inadvertent key fob press.

If the trunk opens and the key is out of range then surely it's a fault within the car.

If the trunk opens when the key is in the car and the engine is running then it's a VERY serious fault.

Last edited by clivem2; 06-01-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #63
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

I had my car (with comfort access) coded at the dealer to only open the boot/trunk if the car is unlocked first, this has worked perfectly since it was done 4 months ago, however I've noticed it's incredibly easy to inadvertently press the button whilst in your trouser pocket whilst bending or leaning inside to get a bag of shopping off the rear seat..its happened to me now 2 or 3 times
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #64
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
There's a collection of different scenarios for the truck opening where Comfort Access is installed.

If the trunk opens when you're out of the car and the key is in range of the car then likely it's an inadvertent key fob press.

If the trunk opens and the key is out of range then surely it's a fault within the car.

If the trunk opens when the key is in the car and the engine is running then it's a VERY serious fault.
I found out today that even washing the car at the wand wash causes all kinds of issues with doors constantly locking/unlocking and the rear tailgate opening automatically (at least once). I would be very concerned about the tailgate opening in a touchless wash!

I think that the tailgate should also NEVER open when the engine is running because that is a possible safety hazard with carbon monoxide getting inside.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #65
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
My liftgate opened without me pressing the key fob and my wife came home and opened the garage door and it got caught and put a dent in the liftgate. I took it to BMW Collision and they said they were aware it's a known issue. The girl said she had to submit it to the service manager and then she would contact me. Got a call yesterday that I need to bring it in to the service department to have them check the codes etc and the damage is $3500. Just got a call after they have had the car since 7am and it's 5pm now, they said they didn't see any error codes so it's user error. Anyone know a contact for BMW of North America to see if maybe they will cover it since it's such a known issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #66
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Has the cause of this issue ever been identified and resolved?
Appreciate 0