BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
sharonfei
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

$2300 for Gear Selector Switch Replacement, to fix Chassis Stabilization message

I have a 2014 X3. Starting from late last year, it has been functioning weirdly, with 'Chassis Stabilization', 'Drivetrain Malfunction', 'Transmission Malfunction' and 'Transmission Overheated' warning messages popped up from time to time.

I took it to the BMW dealership for a diagnosis. The first time, they updated the software system for me, and it went fine for 1 week or so. I brought it in for a second diagnosis after the problem occurred again. It took them 2 weeks to find out it was the Gear Selector Switch problem, and they recommended me to do the replacement, with $1300 for the part and $1000 for labor.

My questions are -

1. Does this sound a solid root cause?
2. Does the cost sound reasonable?
3. Do you guys recommend me to get it fixed by BMW dealership or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Part is 911$ at ECSTuning.
Replacing it is not hard. Need some trim tools to lift the cover surronding the gear selector. I did something similar on an older BMW model. The selector was held in place by 1 or 2 screws and some clips. Then pull out, unplug. Plug in the new unit, put in place, screw in and replace the trim. Should be plug and play. For more info, I would look up the "New TIS" online repair procedure, then make an informed decision.

GL and let us know how it works out
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

$1000 in labor to replace the gear selector? It takes 10 minutes tops to get access to it!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Yeah, should be a really easy replacement, overall. I wouldn't pay them to do it. If you aren't mechanically inclined find a friend who has even basic knowledge in working on cars and they should be able to do it.

As for whether it's the root cause.....maybe? Really tough to tell; I guess I'd wonder why or how those types of warnings would run through the gear selector, but electrical/electronic bugs can be weird.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
Izzylion
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hey I have this exact same issue noone seems to know what it is did you ever get the answer to what issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Part is 911$ at ECSTuning.
Replacing it is not hard. Need some trim tools to lift the cover surronding the gear selector. I did something similar on an older BMW model. The selector was held in place by 1 or 2 screws and some clips. Then pull out, unplug. Plug in the new unit, put in place, screw in and replace the trim. Should be plug and play. For more info, I would look up the "New TIS" online repair procedure, then make an informed decision.

GL and let us know how it works out
....attached is the procedure from the TIS:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Removing and installing gear selector switch.pdf (834.1 KB, 46 views)
Appreciate 0