BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2023, 08:55 PM   #1
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

cutting new key

Just bought a 2006 X3. It came with one key and the battery in it is dead. I would like to have another key. Can I buy the key online and take it to locksmith to have it cut or I have to take it to the dealership? Thanks,
Glene
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 08:14 AM   #2
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

No. You must get the key from BMW. You will need to provide ownership paperwork and identification. On another note, the existing key battery is not serviceable and is supposed to be charged when in use. Eventually the battery fails and leaves you in your current position.

I was in the same position a bit over a year ago. I bought new keys from the dealer. Fortunately, my dealer sells parts at MSRP with a 10% discount for BMW CCA members. Current MSRP for the key w/remote is $224. I ended up getting a pair.

If you're handy with tools, the battery can be replaced. It does involve cutting open the key and soldering in a new battery. Cutting the case open is a PITA. Be patient. Be very careful. Assume the knife can slip at any time, so cut away from your fingers. After it's all back together, a silicone fob cover can hide whatever mess you made.

Google "e46 key battery replacement" for some instructions.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:20 PM   #3
collinsexton
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
No. You must get the key from BMW. You will need to provide ownership paperwork and identification. On another note, the existing key battery is not serviceable and is supposed to be charged when in use. Eventually the battery fails and leaves you in your current position.

I was in the same position a bit over a year ago. I bought new keys from the dealer. Fortunately, my dealer sells parts at MSRP with a 10% discount for BMW CCA members. Current MSRP for the key w/remote is $224. I ended up getting a pair.

If you're handy with tools, the battery can be replaced. It does involve cutting open the key and soldering in a new battery. Cutting the case open is a PITA. Be patient. Be very careful. Assume the knife can slip at any time, so cut away from your fingers. After it's all back together, a silicone fob cover can hide whatever mess you made.

Google "e46 key battery replacement" for some instructions.

I've done the battery replacement on my key fob, and it wasn't to bad. I ended up getting too impatient with cutting it open with a knife and ended up using a cutting wheel on a dremel. After I replaced the battery I cleaned up everything and superglued it back together.
Appreciate 0